RC's Customs and Mods: Marvel Girl pg.3

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: RC's Customs and Mods: Psylocke (Classic, First Appearance) pg.2

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks so much Jmauer! I hope I can improve in the next few years. Still a novice but it's been a blast learning.
tetragene
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:07 am

soft goods are hit-or-miss, so often leaning towards miss -- but that is a genius use of them on Psylocke. It really accentuates her light, delicate appearance when she first joined the team. I think sometimes with sculpt the sleeves can look so heavy & movement restricting, but those soft goods eliminate both of those problems.

The costume details & her distinctive hair are spot-on too -- it's definitely like jumping off the UXM #213 panels -- but I had to comment on the sleeves in particular since I've never seen someone use soft goods for 80s Psylocke before & it was executed amazingly.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:15 pm

Thanks very much tetragene! I'd seen alot of cosplays and fanart depicting the sleeves in the sheer material so I really wanted that look to carry over. I'm happy that it came out like I'd hope cause soft goods can be a nightmare!
killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Great customs! But I'm really digging your style of posing. Do you modify your figures to get more ROM or do you just crank them to the their upper limits?

I'm really curious about how you learned to pose your figures this way. Reason being, my figures often wind up looking somewhat similar. For me it was recreating Jim Lee artwork as accurately as I could. Made me curious if you developed your style doing something similar. Although it's entirely (and likely quite possible) you're just that good.

I made this awhile back to highlight the way I posed my figures with JL art being the reference for all the crazy hip angles and such.
Not saying mine are anywhere near as good as yours but I would never have thought to pose the limbs, hips, and torso's at such drastic angles if it weren't for the art work I was attempting to recreate.

I love posing figures and sometimes can spend hours getting a figure "just right" so that's what really jumped out to me more than anything. Some of the best posed action figures I've ever seen.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 am

Thanks for looking. Posing figures really is my bread and butter, I love finding afew good poses and snapping them. Throughout all my posing I do tend to stick to the same ones. When it works, it works! I didn't used to but now I'll boil and pop the torso piece off and shave the plastic surrounding the balljoint to allow more back/side movement. First thing I do when I get a Legend, I'll start posing them in every way, pushing them to their max, seeing what angles work best. The only figure I've ever really attempted to emmulate the poses of is Jim Lee's Psylocke, so maybe it comes into play with others subconsciously, as it is the era I most closely associate with my favorite X-Men roster. As someone attempted to say disparagingly about my posing, it's the "tit's out, ass out" method. Whereas I just think, atleast it's not ripping them from the packaging and standing them where they are like they just got a lobotomy.

Here's my Legends Betsy custom in what I describe as my default pose for her, taken a good deal from Jim Lee's art in the example with her, Sabertooth and Wolverine you've pictured above:

Then I eventually replaced the above with a shortened/modded Marvel Select Betsy , in this picture it's directly posed like a frame of Jim Lee's:

This custom Emma below would best encapsulate my standard female Legends post, similar to yours. Back arched, hip out, and one leg extended.

It's no secret I'm not hugely into the male Legends, but I do always try to ensure they don't get wholly outshined.

killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:11 am

That's exactly the way I am when I get new figures. Always pushing them to their limits right out the box. I sorta thought we might have the same method to posing when I saw this pic you did of Storm:

It's clearly based on the Jim Lee X-Men#1 cover...

...but what really got my attention was 2 or 3 years ago, the staff at Hasbro ML did a recreation of that cover using these figures, and I was absolutely blown away...

...by how awful the posing was.

I set out to prove (to no-one but myself), that I could do an infinity better job posing those figures. I only attempted the poses and general character placement. I didn't even try to recreate the scenery and took it from a phone camera so only the most minimal effort went into getting the angles correct. But both our Storms wound up in near identical interpretations, although yours is light years ahead of mine in both paint and photography skills.

Love those Psylockes of yours. Everything I wish the Hasbro could have been. I've tried your method of shaving down the inner diaphragms on female ML's, but on a couple occasions, the joints became too loose, so I sorta gave up on doing it. And if any figure needs that increased range, it certainly is Psylocke. But with prices being as high as they are currently, I dare not risk ruining my figure.

But anyway, do you all have a thread somewhere on the forum dedicated to posing? That's my life blood too, and would be cool to share more photos and all that without derailing your custom figure thread any further lol.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:33 pm

Forgot about Storm pose! I was using that image as a reference for the shading sure enough. Yeah, Hasbro's X-Men #1 was high production but truly awful posing. Your version is perfect, it really makes a difference that they are all there in one photo as opposed to being imposed in like Hasbro's, and the poses are miles more accurate. With shaving away at the balljoint, I take it very slow and I don't go near the base of the ball much, and if it becomes too loose I just use the very bad and not recommended superglue trick to stiffen it back up. There wouldn't be and threads dedicated to posing, and although I haven't been active on there much this year, my Instagram is darkxorn. Again, thanks for looking, I do really enjoy discussing posing with someone as passionate!
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: RC's Customs and Mods: Marvel Girl pg.3

Sat May 08, 2021 5:25 pm

As many have already done ,made some mods to Marvel Girl. Gave her White Rabbit's legs, sculpted the boot tops, and gave her Gwen Stacy's feet. For her head, used the Jean neutral head from the Dark Phoenix & Cyclops two pack with some paint tweaks. The hair is from the same two pack, with some sculpting at temple and repainting. The mask is from the original Marvel Girl figure just cut and shaped into a version I liked more, that better fits with the head and hair.

Yoda36
Customized

Sun May 09, 2021 2:50 am

Great job! They look spot-on and are painted bright & tight. Good photo's too by the way.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks Yoda36!

Return to “Custom Galleries”