Lord of the Rings, NEW custom, Faramir Ranger, page 8

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
Yoda36
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Fountain Guard, page 7

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 pm

I have redone a Gondorian Fountain Guard.
The rubber cape I dispatched and made one of cloth.
Getting the silver decorations on, the hood in place and the iron-wire in was a lot of sowing.
The shoulder pads needed to be screwed in place to stay fit.
He also got a large spear with a flag.
On the face I made a mouthcap from greenstuff.
I gave him a big-ass tower shield. A group of these guards is a fortress in itself! Oneday, the bodyguard of Elendil.
I wanted him to look heavy enough to take on a troll.
The rest was painting, coating, painting again and so forth. The result is very shiny.
Quite a difference with these scruffy orcsish :-)
In total I have four of these guards.
I keep seeing these waving capes from Battle of Middle Earth heavy armored Gondorian troopers...
Anyway, here he is. Enjoy.

Making of and comparison with the original:

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! NEW custom: Gondorian spearman II, page 7

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm

And time for another trooper for the ranks! A Gondorian spearman this time.

This custom is done with the head of Frodo. The helmet fits nicely on this smaller sized head, though I had to trim down the hair. To avoid association with Frodo figure, I gave him a nose from the Boromir figure. And a beard with thick eyebrows. O yeah, and trim down the ears...

I started to highlight the armor of all the troopers with silver when nearly done. It really brings out the shine when on the table, catching the light. The dull coating is a blessing and a bitch: the metal shine is gone when using it. But it does prevent the stickyness and the paintrub by handling.

The spear and shield are custom made. The tree on the shield is a painted over decall. Yes, that takes patience and a steady hand....
I teamed him up with the other spearman, for two is stronger than one.

Here are some making of pictures:

An in between with painting. The base colours fixed, no coating or shadowing done yet.

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Boromir, armored captain with flag, page 7

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Next is: Boromir, captain of the White Tower of Ecthelion.
It is the scene in the extended version of The Two Towers, where Boromir waves the flag over Osgiliath, retaken by the army of Gondor. FOR GONDOR!

The figure is a repaint. I added a cloth cape, to replace the raggedy one he got from toybiz.
The sword got a nice ruby in the hilt. And I made a flag of the White Tower. It is a print on a sticker that I repainted again to revive all the colour. Yes, that was painstaking...

The figure got a new lower body, for the tree on the armor was pressed too often and lost its detailing.

You can check out my index on page 1 for an overview of all the figures. I reinstalled the missings pics

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Re: Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Boromir, armored captain with flag, page 7

Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 am

I missed a bunch of stuff, and it's all crazy good. The craftsmanship on the home-made elements is impressive. And that Boromir really makes me miss and regret selling mine. Although the stock version never looked that good.
How did you do the cape on Boromir -- did you actually sew a pattern into it yourself?
Yoda36
Customized

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:23 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 am
I missed a bunch of stuff, and it's all crazy good. The craftsmanship on the home-made elements is impressive. And that Boromir really makes me miss and regret selling mine. Although the stock version never looked that good.
How did you do the cape on Boromir -- did you actually sew a pattern into it yourself?
Thanks! Good to have a fan ;-)
The silver lining is a silver thread I partially glued and sewed on. The horizontal lining is also pre-fabricated and mostly glued on. I don't glue anymore, but take the trouble of sowing it all. It keeps the fabric more smooth.
I also sow the folds to get straight lines. My wife is amused, for she made a lot of clothing and I never touched a needle before this. I am working on Gondor Rangers at the moment, so their capes will show what I mean.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 am

The amount of effort you put in to these is nuts. Can't wait to see the Rangers.
I'm hoping you jump over to the 2nd Age Gondorians as well. Love that look and we never did get a figure of that from ToyBiz, for some reason.
Yoda36
Customized

Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:58 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 am
The amount of effort you put in to these is nuts. Can't wait to see the Rangers.
I'm hoping you jump over to the 2nd Age Gondorians as well. Love that look and we never did get a figure of that from ToyBiz, for some reason.
Thanks again! I won't be doing that, but others have, like Grinman on this site:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29095&p=2109603&hil ... r#p2109603
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Faramir, armored captain page 7

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:07 pm

The Captain Faramir in armor is the best figure for making Gondorian soldiers.
Of course you need to keep one figure as Faramir himself!
I repainted him and gave him a custom made shield. I really like the way the hair turned out.
Painting the eyes was a challenge.
Weta decided to give him a green cloth, to make the connection with him as a ranger.
The common troopers all wore black, so I gave him that too.
His helmet has golden decorations to make him stand out as an officer.
For this purpose, I also gave his sword the small rubies in the hilt, like I did with Boromir.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, Rohirrim charge! Custom of the Gamling figure on horse, page 7

Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Next in line is one of the allies of Gondor, Elfhelm, a Rohirrim Rider!
In the end, I will have at least 12 of them on horse.

The spear is custom made. The cape is cloth with an ironwire sewed in. The helmet is from the theodred figure.
The figure is Gamling. He has a very fallen in face, so I sculpted a new one with a big beard. The legs I broke up to give him a more sitting posture. He can still stand.

On the horse, I removed the big plastic blob of a ponytail and gave it real soft manes and tail.
The main challenge was creating the leather head armor for the horse. It is cardboard with greenstuff and the top of a nail on the forehead.

And a thorough repaint... The scales on the armor were a lot of work to blackline.
I love the outcome. Hope you like it too.

Some making of pictures:

silvercat17
I wish I had super powers

Re: Lord of the Rings, Rohirrim charge! Elfhelm, custom of the Gamling figure on horse, page 7

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 am

Seriously impressive work
Yoda36
Customized

Re: Lord of the Rings, Rohirrim charge! Elfhelm, custom of the Gamling figure on horse, page 7

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:19 pm

silvercat17 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 am
Seriously impressive work
Thanks for the compliment. More is one the way!
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! NEW customs of the Ithilien Rangers, page 7

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:47 pm

One of the first customs I made, but never finished, was the Gondorian ranger. I am capable of doing it now, six years later (...)

I did two figures. The first is the original one. The second has the head of Grima Wormtongue and his hand, so he can hold a bow.

FIRST RANGER
I added hair, for his fronthead was very large.
The quiver I enhanced and added arrows + some flaps. The length of the quiver was in now way right for a realistic arrow, reaching an armslength, so I added a backplate. With two metal hooks, it can be hung and taken of easy from the backstrap.

He needed a cape with hood, so I made one from cloth. The strap of the quiver needs to go through it on the right, so I made a hole, strengthened with an iron ring. The belt snaps on and of with a small push-button.
The cape is fastened with a pin that sticks in the left shoulder. I had to shorten it, for it was blocking the arm movement :shock:

Since they survive in the wild, he needed a hunting knife. I made one from plastic and created a hilt from a piece of (fake) leather. The metal hard parts are cardboard painted over.

The also have an extra poach, for I had some greenstuff to spare :-)

And, of course, he needed a bow, which the original figure did not have (!)

The sword hilt of this figure got somehow warped due to being old, so I had to make another one from scratch. I used cardboard and painted this. The circle is a metal part, the lines are cardboard too.

The figure is loaded with details, so I gave him a total repaint, bringing out all of the details.
To finish it all, he got a facemask, being a strip of cloth cut in a triangular shape.

In the end some action pics of them both on my display table.

Finally I want to spread the word of a new website which is dedicated solely to Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit toys. lotrtoyarchive is the keyword.

FIRST RANGER

SECOND RANGER

IN THE WOODS

MAKING OF

REFERENCE PICTURES

These are pictures from the première in Wellington back in 2003. The paraded people in the movie costumes.
I decided to interchange the colours of light-brown and blue on the leather jackets. The capes I interchanged in brown and dark grey.

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, WARG RIDERS, two customs, page 7

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 pm

As an in between I present two customized Warg riders.

I started with adding some hair, but ended up covering the whole plastic body.
It turned out as a Ray Harryhausen creature with the real fur, hair and reins!
The fur is cloth from a piece of fabric, that I glued on the plastic warg, small pieces at the time.
Yes, that was a messy & sticky job...
The darker warg is done with some fake-wool cloth.
I gave him longer teeth (coctail sticks), extended the nails and ears with greenstuff and added real leather reins. The spikes on the reins are greenstuff.

The second warg was a cheap buy, for it missed a frontleg, so I had to play Gepetto.
I created a new lower leg and paw from wood, winecork and greenstuff. And some screws.
I disabled the mechanism and gave the head a twist, so the wargs will show more dynamic when placed together.

The first rider is the Gorbag figure, with added capes, hair and Gimli helmet.
The second rider is somewhat freaky, so I called him the Mad Max style rider. Check it out to see why!
The rider is a custom of the Mordor trooper, with a lot of extra's and punky hair. The knife is custom made.
His flail is a MacFarlane piece, with an iron wire folded in to make it fly.
He carries a cut of head with him to show off how badass he is. The head is from Aragorn, Pelennor fields, with added hair. This is from the scene where the parly with the Mouth of Sauron went the other way.... :wink:

The stands are a must-have for the jumping and running poses. I made these myself from a piece of mdf wood.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of these figures!

Image[/url]

Hello, meet legolas.

SECOND WARG RIDER

BOTH OF THEM CHARGING

MAKING OF

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, Macfarlane Berserker Troll into Orc trooper, page 7

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Next in line is a custom of the McFarlane medieval Spawn figure, the berserker troll. He is an orcish trooper now.

The original came with a wolfskin. I didn't like how this took away the sight on the many beautiful details the figure has, so I took it away and gave it to the orc shaman (yet to be made).

It is a crossbow shooter. The bow is ingenious, with a pulling mechanism and all, but a small weapon for this size of figure. So I added a sword (the sword of Sam in orcish gear) and gave it a crossguard.
His head is very small, so I added hair and a (playmobil) helmet.
Medieval bowmen often hid behind movable walls of wood, so I gave him such a thing which he can carry around and use as a shield too. It is made of icepop sticks in which a carved the lines of wood.
The bow I gave a strap so he can carry it when wielding his sword. Funny enough the thing started to look like the bowcaster of Chewbacca this way! :lol:

The painting was brilliantly done, but I ended up doing the whole figure anyway to bring out the details better.
Painting the fur was a challenge, but it made the stuff less fluffy.
His articulation is very good: he can even bend his toes when crouching. Very nice feet he has. :rolleyes:
And has a neck articulation so he can look straight above him, very nice feature.

Anyway, another trooper for the Mordor host!

THE ORIGINAL FIGURE

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, Mordor crossbow orc brute, page 7

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Since I was showing crossbow an archer, I decided to bring another one from out of the archive.
Soon I will upload Faramir ranger by the way, but the painting is not ready yet.

Next inline to show is the customized Dungeon Master, or: Orc Brute. I turned him into a crossbow shooter, Hungarian style.
The crossbow is from the Uruk-Hai model with extra blades to make it a handweapon. The helmet and axe are custom made.
I filled up the toes to give him closed shoes. The arm holding the crossbow is from the Uruk-Hai figure as well. It has this nice open hand.
The armor I cut up to make breastplate and leg armor. The arrow holder is from the Uruk as well. And I added some fur and shoulder armor. And did a repaint, of course.

MAKING OF:

Return to “Custom Galleries”