Lord of the Rings, NEW custom, Faramir Ranger, page 8

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of the Rings, Uruk-Hai 3 crossbow archers makeover, p5

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Yoda36 wrote: More will be coming. Take comfort in the fact that Elves and Gondorians are coming too. :wink:
Can't wait!

The realistic hair on the crossbowman is a bold move, but I think it actually turned out really good.
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, Uruk-Hai pikemen and footsoldiers, p. 6

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 pm

The bulk of Uruk-Hai army is pikemen. These are footsoldiers with the long pikes and machete swords.
The pikes are useful for intercepting horses, pushing up ladders or picking defenders of a wall.
The base for these customs were the crossbow archers, produced by ToyBiz.
I added cloth, hair, sculpted faces, made pikes and swords and gave them the shields of the raiders.
The helmets were an affort in themselves, see making of at the end.
No two helmets are the same therefor. Funny enough I noticed that Weta did the same and made a lot of variety in the helmets.
Enjoy! Soon I will upload groupshots and than add some of the good guys.

BASGUG

FALATKUT

UNORG

DRAKK

CURNOTH

BRULESH

ORAMZEKH

RULDIG

MAKING OF:

Original on the left, handmade one on the right.

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, Uruk-Hai, fighting army by night, group shot, page 6

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

And here we have the entire URUK-HAI army as a group.
I used a black background and dimmed the pictures to make it look like night.
"They will be here by nightfall, ten thousand strong the least... "

autobiotic
HULK SMASH!

Re: Lord of the Rings, Uruk-Hai, fighting army by night, group shot, page 6

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 am

Those boys look hungry! Nice job
Yoda36
Customized

Re: Lord of the Rings, Uruk-Hai, fighting army by night, group shot, page 6

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:28 pm

autobiotic wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 am
Those boys look hungry! Nice job
Thanks! Hungry for mayhem they are.... :shock:
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian archers NEW customs, page 6

Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Next in line are figures from the Gondorian Army, for Gondor!

Some I had uploaded before, some are new customs. I start this section with the newest: the archers.

Long I wanted to do these. In the movie, the archers look just like the footsoldiers, same armor.
Since I am army building with these figures, I need for each individual a Faramir in armor figure + Pippin in armor to get the helmet.
But Faramir has a helmet: the one he carries as captain of the cavalry. So I have a lot of these to spare.

In real medieval/ancient armies, the archers often had different helmets from the footsoldiers.
So I gave them the helmets of Faramir.

The captain Borimir figure has fantastic arm articulation to make "a streched arm and pluck the string" stance.
So I used him as a body for the archers.

In real life, bowmen have short swords to defend themselves when in close combat. The silly small sized Boromor sword was perfect for that. When right handed, you carry left, so the hilt had to shift to the other side.

Since the colour scheme of Gondor is rather dull (grey metal and black cloth), I gave the bows and spears a reddish brown to make it stand out. If I had used dark brown, they would have faded in with the total picture.

Still some problems came up:
- the arm need to rotate 180 degrees to get it in an angle. The shoulder plate dangles at the back in this stance...
I wear full plate armor for LARP and know that shoulder plates do not dangle sideways on your back...
If they do, you are screwed.
So I needed to attach them to the plate armor at the neck. I tried three types of glue before I got something that would stick on this rubbery stuff. Argh!
When pressing the arm downwards, the shoulder plate would stay upright. Argh again.
So I made a real armstrap, attached to the plate, in which the arm could rotate. It is a strip of real leather.
- The hand holding the bow was too wide. So I filled up the palm of the hand for a better grip.
- I did not want a clone army of Boromirs, so swapped heads. These two figures have the head of Gandalf and of Aaragorn on Wheather Top. Adding hair with greenstuff and giving new colours made them new figures.
- the quiver I took from the Gondorian archer figure. He is a greatsword wielder now. I needed another quiver, so I made one from cardboard. It worked very well!
- the arrows are coctails pikes. Each archer gets one with a metal point - an all-the-way arrow. The other arrows are dummies with only a painted top. The feathers are small pieces of paper glued to the pole. It is rather fragile alas.
- the sword is dangling on a leather strap I attached myself.
- the bows are made from coffee stirring sticks. The string is a rope that really gives pressure to bend the bow.

And I gave a thorough repaint, using games Workshop dull coat halfway the job. One needs to add metal again, for the metallic shine is lost when using this coat. But at least the rubbery breast- and backplate do not stick anymore after that.

Anyway, quite some effort to get these done. Three more are in the pipeline. Here they are:

The second figure:

Both of them together:

And pictures of the work in progress:

A making of from another bow, but it tells the story:

KnightDamien

Re: Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian archers NEW customs, page 6

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Those look amazing. And the amount of work you put in honestly just makes me tired to even think about.

If you're interested (because it really doesn't matter much), we're reasonably sure from both experimental archaeology and period sources that when arrow bags/quivers were worn at all, they'd be worn on the 'arrow-hand' side to be drawn straight up/out rather than across the body.

In any event, I can't wait to see the ranks of the Gondorians grow.
mrhoyo
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 am

Amazing. The level of detail you go to is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yoda36
Customized

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 am

@KnightDamian: you just gave me my third moment of Argh! I checked it out (of course) and you are right about the quivers. I came upon these pictures:

They wear the quiver left, but hold the bow with the right hand.... I myself hold with left, being right handed when I shoot. Anyways, this is the way for my troopers now.
Thanks for the compliment, enjoy the fact that you can sit back and look at someone else's work without a sweat. ;-)
Yoda36
Customized

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 am

mrhoyo wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 am
Amazing. The level of detail you go to is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the appreciation. I am my own demon, pushing myself to get it right until I am fed up with them.
But the reward afterwards allways pays off when you get them the way you like them.
Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian Greatsword champion, page 6

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:45 pm

Gondorian Greatsword Champion
The Gondor soldier figure is an odd character in the line. He is constructed very bulky.
Since my random troopers are from the more slender Faramir armor figure, I turned this figure into a special one.
He is the banner carrier now, in combination with wielding a greatsword. These greatswords were (historically) individual champions of great strength. The counterpart for the Orc berserkers.

WHAT I DID:
I gave him the Elendil sword, for that is way too big for this figure. Elendil will get a Narsil/Anduril sword when ready for customizing. This version of the sword was very nice though, so deserved a second life. I gave it an extra hilt for the hand to make it look less like Narsil.
The bow was broken en gone. The quiver is going to the archers, so I cut it off. The scabbard is from Elendil as well.
I repainted him thoroughly and highlighted the metals with silver, as I do now with all my troopers for Gondor.
Also the face was very puff, so I gave him bigger eyebrows and a longer moustache. His stature now really works.
The shoulder armor was attached to the shoulder. That gave nice moveability, but after having lifted the arm, the pauldren would not come down again... So I cut them loose and glued them to the upper arm. Not at all how real armor works, but it is great for the action figure. I squeezed in the pauldrens when glueing, so they look less huge now.

Enjoy the result!

This was the original figure:

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian swordsmen, page 6

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 pm

Here are two Gondorian swordsmen. They are the Faramir Captain figure, with the helmet of Pippin in Gondorian armor. The first one has the shield of the toybiz Gondorian soldier.

Since the Faramir figure is the most adequate and I don't want a clone army, I gave him a new face.
I have made a custom shield as well. That is the one he is holding with stretched arm (last pic).
The white tree is a decall, printed on a stickersheet and afterwards neatly painted over again.

The second figure has the head of king Theoden, ideal for placing a helmet on his head!
The shield is scratch build, with a painted over decall of the tree.
Here you see them on their stands. All of my figure sget handmade stands, but I seldomly add them on the photo. They look better without, but are far better posable with. :-)

Yoda36
Customized

Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian footsoldier, spearman, page 6

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:01 am

To build up an Gondorian army, I have been harvesting and customizing Faramir Armor figures by toybiz.
I'll have over twenty figures when ready: swordsmen, spearmen, heroes and archers.
Here is my first spearman. The spearhead is made of a wooden paint stirring stick. A thick one.
The head is the original of Faramir with a different nose, beard and haircolour, done with greenstuff.
The figurs is repainted & coated allover.
The shield is the one from the Gondor soldier with a printed and painted over decall.

KnightDamien

Re: Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian footsoldier, spearman, page 6

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 am

I've been away from this thread barely for any time at all and I've already missed a bunch!

I don't really have anything useful to say. Everything looks amazing and I'm -really- enjoying looking at them, and admiring the dedication to making these huge Middle-earth armies. And the work you do to customize the faces is above and beyond. Fantastic. Never stop.
Yoda36
Customized

Re: Lord of the Rings, For Gondor! Gondorian footsoldier, spearman, page 6

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:35 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 am
I've been away from this thread barely for any time at all and I've already missed a bunch!

I don't really have anything useful to say. Everything looks amazing and I'm -really- enjoying looking at them, and admiring the dedication to making these huge Middle-earth armies. And the work you do to customize the faces is above and beyond. Fantastic. Never stop.
Well thank you! Appreciate the omments.
I wasn't thinking about stopping, so here we go. Stay tuned, within weeks there will be rangers too.

Return to “Custom Galleries”