READ: Rules on WIPS and teasers

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
The Bruce
who watches the Bruce?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:51 pm

I really like the idea of having a WIP thread in the Extra.

Now, how does this new rule apply to group shots, photo comics/photo essays, action shots, and the like? Does it affect posting these at all?
bino
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:41 pm

oops! :oops: sorry i posted i WIP pic, but i have already deleted it, forgive me kind mods... :oops:
The Bruce
who watches the Bruce?

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:14 pm

Just commenting here because it looks like some customizers might want to familiarize or re-familiarize themselves with some of our rules.
curtisleebrownjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:13 am

I'm a newer user, and I feel that seeing works in progress can help prevent errors along the way. If you post a work in progress, and someone else notices something that you didn't, it can help you to fix the mistake BEFORE you finish the project, which could essentially be a huge waste of time if it was something that was easy to fix at an earlier stage.
moldie13
Stabbing Mike Hunt

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:16 am

curtisleebrownjr wrote:I'm a newer user, and I feel that seeing works in progress can help prevent errors along the way. If you post a work in progress, and someone else notices something that you didn't, it can help you to fix the mistake BEFORE you finish the project, which could essentially be a huge waste of time if it was something that was easy to fix at an earlier stage.
this might help. it's from the first post in this thread-
SamuRon wrote:...where you are having trouble with a WIP and want to get feedback on how to proceed, post in the Custom Shop Talk. Once you get all your problems worked out and the custom finished, post the finished in your Gallery thread, and add the WIPs along with that post because it'd be interesting to read what changes you made to the WIP to get to the finish...
curtisleebrownjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:01 am

Ah, so long as the product is finished the wip's are acceptable. Good enough on that front.

But my question is more in the vein of what about when you aren't even aware of there being something wrong?

Is it just better to simply post over there first and foremost, no matter what then?

If so, that's totally reasonable, but it is different than specifically looking for advice on something you are unsure of, you know?
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:12 am

what i'd done in the past is i would post when i think the figure is done. if people give me suggestions, then i try to make improvements, then repost. but my initial post wasn't a WIP, i thought the figure was finished. this only ever happened to me once, and in that case, i wound up posting the work in progress, but it wasn't intentionally a WIP. i've also used a WIP thread, just to keep things tidy. if you're not sure that it's finished or not, best bet is to keep WIPs in the shop talk forum. but if you know the custom is finished, it's always ok to include WIP shots with the final product.
actionfiguresrule
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 pm

yeah...what ~NORM said. :lol:

i agree that if you want feedback, you should most certainly have 2 threads:

1) custom gallery. this showcases your COMLPETED works. no teasers, "premature" wip's (as in wip's shown by themselves, before your custom is COMPLETED), etc. more times than once -- which is more than it should anyway -- i've seen folks post "teasers" of their stuff. i just saw one now, and it bugs me to no end. if not everyone adheres to the guidelines, why have them to begin w/? what's the point?

2) custom shop talk wip/teasers. this thread, which is separate from the gallery thread, is where you post all your teasers, wips, questions, etc. on upcoming works. you don't have to do it (i don't b/c it kinda takes away from the overall surprise factor, and that's just me.), but if you do, then this is where you should post your requests for feedback on a piece before it "goes to press."

the fwoosh set up customs guidelines a couple of years back as a way to help improve traffic flow, and we need to really take that to heart. i bitch and gripe about the handful of folks who blow caution to the wind and cross the line cuz it ain't right. it needs to end. i get dinged for a little thing, but someone else right next to me does something big, and they get away scott free. now where's the justice in that?

ok, i'm getting off my whiney-box now.

AFR

Return to “Custom Galleries”