Lucid's Legends : POWER EFFECTS (pg.2)

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
MetalLuna
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Lucid's post-Fwooshblip TIGRA!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 am

Ah, Lucid
Another foray out of the leafy canopy . You really know how to pick your battles. Your work on Titanium Man and Wendigo are the standouts for me. I’ve been trying to get a head done for the the flesh eater myself. And Lilandra is nice as well . Nice to see updates from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grundy
CROM!

Re: Lucid's post-Fwooshblip TIGRA!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm

The paint job you did on your Tigra really made that fig Pop!

And using Rhino head on Wendigo? Inspired idea and execution! I really think Hasbro missed big time with their choice of head on that BAF Wendigo; glad to see you did him justice with your custom
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Re: Lucid's Legends : CONSTRICTOR 2.0

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:05 pm

Much Obliged, gentlemen. I appreciate the feedback.
So, I just finished my latest project: Constrictor! Ever since I was a wee Silverback I've always had a fondness for him and his crazy awesome tentacle cables. Ten years ago, I slapped together an initial attempt made from an old DCU figure and a couple tentacles from a MacFarlane Creech Deluxe. It came out okay but sadly, did not age well. I passed on the Hasbro offering which was horribly engineered with a ridiculous looking face and pitiful tentacles.
I finally got around to extricating the Sentinel tentacles from my original attempt and using them in assembling this new improved version.
The entire body is the Magneto figure from the Apocalypse BAF wave sans forearm vambraces and with a pair of modified wolverine fists. The head is another Magneto head; which one, I do not know. Anyway, lots of apoxy sculpt applications while still retaining full range of motion at all the articulation breaks.
I've also included a WIP image of the point in the process where I was applying the knee-high shin-protector top of the boots (as you can see from the plumber's tape and painter's tape).
Take a gander...

And here is the WIP...

Grundy
CROM!

Re: Lucid's Legends : CONSTRICTOR 2.0!!!

Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:33 am

Oh WOW! That's a thing of beauty!
Must've been a challenge to sculpt those stripes so uniformly and consistently; but it really shows it the final output and really is worth the added effort.
The choice of parts is spot-on, as well as the color palette you used; coupled with a very clean execution! Simply an end-all-be-all representation of Constrictor in ML form :)

On a related note: it really is fun to revisit old custom projects and see how you would tackle it using the recently made available fodder, paint, and your updated skill sets. Really gives a good perspective on how much one has continued to grow as an artist, and also appreciate the technological and aesthetic advances the toy industry has been undergoing.

Anyways, keep posting more customs! It seems that the activities in the custom forums have waned even further as of late; seeing your posts brings me back to the good 'ol hey day of the Fwoosh Custom forums
MetalLuna
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Lucid's Legends : CONSTRICTOR 2.0!!!

Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:12 pm

You people and your straight lines…Constrictor looks great of course. Envious of you sculpting skill. Quite dexterous for a great ape. This makes a great addition to the Serpent Society

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Re: Lucid's Legends : Classic Iron Fist!!

Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words on that last one, gentlemen.
Today's new custom is one I've had the components for, but procrastinated about for 3 or 4 years now:  Classic Iron Fist.
I've had the original Toybiz figure in my display since it's release, just waiting for an update of the classic design, so I never pulled the trigger on Hasbro's modern offering from a few years back.  Seeing NORM's stylish take on a modern design motivated me to finally engage this project with determination and git 'er dun.
I think the reason most customizers avoid tackling classic Iron Fist is due to his crazy collar; fabricating and fusing it to the figure is a daunting task to say the least.  Well, after mulling it over for far too long, I finally determined a proper angle of attack and broke out the Dremel, X-acto, and Apoxie Sculpt. After fabricating multiple iterations of that damn collar, I finally locked in the proper shape and was off and running. From there, everything else was a virtual cakewalk.
I was planning on giving him the typical iris-less white eyes but, as the project progressed, and referring to source material from John Byrne's run, I decided to just leave Punisher's blue eyes intact and I really like how it looks.

The recipe is pretty straightforward.  The body is Hasbro's Hydra agent from the Mandroid BAF wave, the head is the bandana-wearing Punisher head from the Walgreens exclusive --whittled down and resculpted, and with the flowing tails extricated and repositioned. The hands are from Shang Chi, and the belt tails are from the original Iron Fist figure.
The collar itself is actually cut from the lid from a 30oz container of Temptations cat snacks, ...chicken flavor. Wait. What?
Anyway, I included a couple WIP shots for anyone interested.  Check it out...

And a couple WIP shots...
Click Here&nbspClick Here&nbsp
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:51 am

That looks so very good. The collar is perfect, and yes, daunting. I love that you left the eyes showing through the mask, I’ve never seen that on an Iron Fist figure. I really hope we get an official figures sooner rather than later. But I’ll admire yours for the time being. And thanks for the mention!
Zorn88
Avengers Assemble

Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:34 pm

Clean as hell paintwork! Great job!
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Re: Lucid's Legends : Classic Super Skrull! (pg.2)

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:20 pm

Thanks for the comments, fellow Fwooshers!!

My latest custom is a Classic Super Skrull.
Back in 2019 I purchased only the Doctor Doom and She-Hulk from the Super Skrull wave because I don't collect modern Era designs and the two headsculpts included for the BAF just don't look Skrully enough for my tastes. Then, in the midst of a pandemic, I made an unexpected trade for the torso and decided to finally assemble the BAF. I quickly discovered that the remaining parts were hard-to-find and kind of pricey. Since I'm a cheap mf, I pulled the trigger on an inexpensive auction listing for a left arm sans effect arm, then opted to improvise the rest. Thus...

The right leg was salvaged from a Bishop figure and simply painted to match.
The head is the original Toybiz SS with the ears trimmed and upper lip & teeth cut out then rebuilt, along with the cheeks and back of the head.
The effect arm is the original toybiz arm, cut and hollowed-out with successively larger drill bits, and then boiled-and-fit to slide on the forearm snug (after removing the hand).

Bonus WIP image!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Lucid's Legends : Classic Super Skrull! (pg.2)

Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:41 pm

Awesome. I particularly like how you inverted the paints on the rock arm, making it look molten in the spaces between the rock plates. Really clever way to depict the combined powers of Ben and Johnny.
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Re: Lucid's Legends : Classic MOLE MAN (pg.2)

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback NORM. It's much appreciated!

Well, after photographing my Super Skrull I went to insert him into my F4 shelf, and upon pulling virtually everything out in order to place him in the back of the display I, for the first time in yeeeeears, stood there with Hasbro's embarrassing attempt at a Mole Man figure in my hands once again and I quickly realized a serious makeover was long overdue.
Prior to his release, I was often posting on the Fwoosh how badly we need a Mole Man figure and also consistently including him in my Top Ten nominations. Then Hasbro took over for Toybiz. (Cue sad trombone) Shortly thereafter, they actually released him in the line but, unfortunately for everyone, their Legends figures at that time were for the most part atrocious and I was soooo disappointed with that pitiful offering. Years later, when they finally got their game straight and began re-engineering past failures, I was really expecting they would do the same for Mole Man but here we are over a decade since and ...zilch.
I don't understand how hasbro can revisit -and-improve their previous failures like Namor, Daredevil, or She-Hulk, and even make numerous iterations of 3rd tier characters like Domino, Cannonball, or Silk, yet not revisit one of the most crucial classic enemies of the F4 and rectify that abysmal original attempt. Anyway, I did what I could to salvage that mess and shoot for an approximate Kirby/Byrne classic amalgamation.
I removed the hands and lengthened the forearms a bit to provide more 'meat' in which I could anchor the pegs from the replacement hands. I trimmed his cape to eliminate most of the raggedy edges. I shaved off all the lumps and bumps on his shoes which I think were supposed to be dirt clods or something? I used a Dremel to get rid of his belt and also grind wrinkles into his jumpsuit. Lastly, I shaved off his lower face and ears and then rebuilt his entire head.
After all that, I repainted everything but his cape and reassembled him. Now I finally have me a classic Mole Man just itching to zap Ben Grim in the tuchus! Woot! Woot!
Check him ouuuuut.

And the bonus WIP shot!

Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Re: Lucid's Legends : POWER EFFECTS (pg.2)

Thu May 12, 2022 6:47 pm

So, in the last year or so, I've been experimenting with making power effects for my legends figures and, not only are they kind of cool-looking, but they are also relatively easy to make.
First is the classic Kirby krackle...

Next is the Kirby krackle magic spirals (sharp and rounded)...

Then there's the flaming fists. Also, notice I painted her semi-translucent hair to mimic fire.

We also have the quantum bubbles...

Lastly there's the magnetic field...

And then there's this semi-translucent blast effect I slapped together using a red plastic sheet I salvaged from a discarded illuminated exit sign. I had to slice out a notch from Cyke's visor in order for the blast to slide in snug.

*Lmk if you would like to make your own power effects (other than the optic blast) and I'll send you a template w/brief instructions!

Actually, what am I talking about; nobody frequents these Fwoosh! custom threads anymore. I'm basically talking to myself. Sigh
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Lucid's Legends : POWER EFFECTS (pg.2)

Sat May 14, 2022 9:46 pm

Those effects look great. I really like the spiral magic ones. I wish there was a way to make them look more three dimensional though. I’m not sure how well the krackle can actually translate to 3D.

You’re right though. No one comes in here anymore. It’s just the evolution of sharing customs. Everyone is on Instagram instead, and that format really doesn’t lend itself well to discussion, let alone critique. It’s not for me though. I’ll stick with the gallery threads here. I’m too set in my ways.

Return to “Custom Galleries”