Lord of the Rings, Haldir of the Galadrim from Lothlórien, upgrade of the toybiz figure, page 10.

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of the Rings, Godron, half-troll berserker, page 8.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 am

Yoda36 wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:32 pm
Haven't popped in for a while but there's some great updates in that time. Awesome work, as always.
My son is just getting into Lord of the Rings, mostly via the Shadow of War video game, and he loves all the Orc customs. He excitedly said he'd buy those in a store, and that you should make Talion (the main character from Shadow of Mordor/War, if you don't already know). :lol:
Ha, there's Talion again! To be honest, I never heard of him nor of the game. Sometimes I play the old Battle for Middle Earth, but I abandoned playing games for the amount of time it takes. I am 47, I want tot do other things with my life than watch more computerscreen than I allready have to for work. :wink:

Very nice he likes the customs. In a couple of weeks, the Wildmen of Dunland will show up. He will want to have those too! :lol:
Totally respect that. But if you ever find yourself with a weekend where you don't really want to do anything, I actually do think the 'Shadow' games are pretty fun and mess around with the Tolkien lore in an interesting way. And since the point of the game is to be an undead elf-possessed ranger creating an army of Orcs to fight Sauron with... of course my son thinks you having a personal army of orcs you've made basically makes you a low-key superhero. Haha!
Can't wait to see the Wildmen. Never stop!
Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Lord of the Rings, Godron, half-troll berserker, page 8.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:23 pm

A full weekend were I want to do nothing? Never heard of.
Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Grimborg, Morannon Orc, custom of MacFarlane, page 9.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:46 pm

GRIMBORG is a custom of the MacFarlene medieval Spawn figure, series II. I did quite some customizing on this figure, compared to what I normally do.

The LOTR figures are not comic, but realistic looking figures. Since I wanted to make him a trooper that would fit in with the ranks, the outrageous cape had to go. The sword was so huge, I gave it to the Sauron figure to replace the ever bending axe made by toybiz. The left arm was so bulky, it had to go too. Also I wanted a different head, for the original was a zombie.
Finally the armor was too nice and elaborate, so I had to cover that with more Mordor like stuff. :twisted:

What I did:
1. the right arm had little movabilty, so I sawed that of and placed a screw in between.
2. I sawed of the head and put one from the Grishnack figure in return. Of this head, I took away the jaw and sculpted a new one with fangs.
3.The arm I replaced with one from Grishnack as well. Getting it to stuck was a challenge. The MacFarlane figures are too solid to crack them, so I drilled out the socket, put in the arm with alufoil covering the bulb of the joint. Than I covered it with a thick layer of greenstuff. It worked!
4. The helmet is build from scratch: plastic pieces hung together by greenstuff.
5. Of course he got a cloth cape, which needed sowing, some cloth stuff and hair from real sheepwool.
6. The axe and halberd are handmade. The shield is a toy shield from Abraracourcix, a figure from the French comic Asterix the Gaul.
7. The armor he had was very neat and shiny. Could have been elvish... So I replaced the leg armour with handmade Mordor stuff with nasty plates. It was made of plastic pieces with greenstuff edges. The surface I smeered in with heavy duty glue to make it look corroded.
8. The left leg had a ballerina like tiptoe foot, clad in shiny armor. I covered the whole underleg with cloth and gave him a new heel and toes.
9. And after all of this, a complete repaint.

Check him out and let me know what you think!

MAKING OF:

THE ORIGINAL FIGURE:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Grazullah, GOT Legacy night king into orc trooper, page 9.

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Grazullah, Mordor Orc footsoldier.
The new McFarlane figures of GOT are fantastic. Nevertheless, I am building LOTR armies, so want figures to match up with that. Stick to the plan! Therefor I turned the Night King into an orc trooper.

I removed the spikes on the head, gave the skull a bit more mass and added armor.
He now has shoulder armor, leg protection and lower arm braces. It is greenstuff over plastic.
Big issue was to keep it movable, so I sowed the pieces with needle and wire.
From the skirt I removed most from the front to get a better look when crouching.
Finally he got a pony tail, a bit Mohawk style.
And I gave more length to the ears to make them more orkish.

I used the original weapon of the Night King. Since this is made of ice, it was very bulky.
I sanded the thing down to make it more smooth like metal would be.
Also he got a new belt which would stand out more than the original one.
And he carries one of Legolas knives as a secondary hand weapon.

In the process, both hands broke of, so he has hands with screws to hold them now.
A solution I have to use with the Toybiz figures too.
Finally a thorough repaint. It became an interesting character!
Enjoy the outcome.

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Draugh, Orc trooper, custom of the Uruk-Hai raider, page 9.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:14 am

Here is another customized Uruk-Hai raider. I turned him into an orc trooper.
The shield is the top of a soft plastic ball, ainted copper. I am very pleased with how the handle worked.
The sword is handmade. The hair is added after removing the original haircut. The cloth is put in by me.
Oh yeah, and I did a top to bottom repaint, as usual. Simple custom, but great looks!

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, NEW custom: Marrek, Wildman from Dunland, page 9.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:17 pm

WILDMEN FROM DUNLAND
Long time awaiting were the 16 wrestling figures I bought years ago to become Wildmen from Dunland.
I started making them now. Lots of fur, cloth, natural materials & dwarfish wild beards.

Saruman created the Uruk-hai by mixing orcs with these hillmen. So the muscular stature fitted perfectly, as well as their 6+ inch size. All of them will get black of brownish hair.
They are a driven out people, hating the Rohorrim for that. In the hills of Dunland they live on herding cattle, growing petty crops, having little forests for use. Iron is hard to come by. They consist of warlike clans.

Peter Jackson and Weta created these very shabby looking cavemen, all rags and wild hair. I wanted them to become more evolved than that. They needed to be ferocious like scottish highlanders, but without looking like them. So the round buckers I thought off were out. No quilts either...
I wanted facepaint like native Indians, or the Germanic warriors from Netflic, but without becoming Celts or Saxons. Finding the right paint and heraldry was tricky.
Also I wanted them to have shields, but anything made from wood would look like viking shields, and they aren't vikings. The shaven heads are cool, but I ignored doing that.

Tolkien mirrored the two peoples with historical ones: Rohirrim being Anglo-Saxon, the Dunlandings being more Celtic. Anything viking-like was therefor out of the picture, especially wit the weapons. No chainmail or helmets allowed here! For this reason, I picked out celtic names that are not so common anymore (I hope).

I remembered the Zulu shields made from cow-hide and leather! That would make for a totally different look. Also the oval shape was quite distinct from orcish shields. They are made from iron-wire with fake-leather glued onto it.

These guys are living of the land, so they bring poaches and watersacks with them. For inspiration I used the Larp catalogue from Epic Armory and Mytholon.
The weapons are totally made of wood this time. I looked up types from the Bauern Revolt in Germany, 16th century. Yes, one will carry a pitchfork!
The jug is Playmobil. The cloth I made myself. Funny detail: the pants are made from the same cloth as my larp pants are. He has brades made from fake-wool.
The shoulder pads are made from cardboard, covered with a sort of woven underlayer from plastic, which I painted over to look like woven reeds. It is attached on the upper-arm with a leather strap.

So here is the first one and a sneek-peek of the rest. I am doing four of them at a time. This one I named Marrek.

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, DROR, mounted captain of Barad-Dûr, page 9.

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Here we have: DROR, captain of Barad-Dûr. He was mentioned as a character in the story of Thurin, when the elves fought Morgoth. Not by this name though, but I liked it. Dror is mentioned elsewhere by Tolkien.
My guess is he was a black Numenorian, age old and crafted in dark magic, someone like the Mouth of Sauron was (in the book).
I used the Skullsplitter figure from MacFarlane Spawn and place him on the Thunderhoof horse.
MacFarlane gives these figures so much nasty twists in armor, decoration and so. To be honest, I think the whitchking was too shabby for its status. As fear is the biggest weapon of evil, I found the dread this figure beams towards you fitting.

The face of Skullsplitter was a skeleton, so he needed flesh again. I took away the extensions on his face.
He needed a helmet as well, so the horns went off.

The BIG issue was the plastic cape. Since I wanted him to be a rider, I needed a cloth cape that can drape itself. But it needed to look good... The solution came when my wife disposed of her old stockings (they had a ladder) which had the right texture. I needed a black cloth for the inside. They are stuck together with carpet-tape. After fixing that, I added a iron-wire and sowed it in. I than sowed together all of the outside and added the ornaments. The ornaments are do-it-yourself ornaments for girls purses and so. These I painted bronze, for bronze and black and greyblue is the colour scheme of this figure.

The helmet is playmobil again. The skull is handmade. The tale on the helmet is wool.
The hige spear is handmade too.
The swordhilt is from an Aaragorn figure, for he had none. I needed to adjust it somewhat.
As a tribute to the series of Vikings, I gave him tattoos on his head.

Most of the work came into the repainting... so much detail... The end effect is quite rewarding I think. Judge for yourself!

MAKING OF:

THE ORIGINALS:

Thanks to dailytoyz for borrowing the pictures.
Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Witch King of Angmar, page 9.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:22 pm

And here is a new character from the movies: the terrible Witch King of Angmar.
Even Gandalf could not withstand him at his prime.
It was Eowyn that made him doubt his invulnerability so he wavered and Merry with his ancient elven sword that brought him down.

Since it is an all black figure, it was somewhat poor looking and dull to be honest. I added colour: dark blue for the robe and a red liver colour for his tunic. Also the leather straps and metal parts I gave colour. He has very cool armoured legs and good leg articulation (which do not show)!

On the rims of the cape and robe, there were wringlings, looking like dark spells. So I painted these yellow, washing them with brown to bring the whole down a bit.

Since he wears a crown, I turned the metal into gold. Same for the sword hilt to give it more royalty.
The red eyes shining from out of the nothing were not there, so I added two needles and painted these. Aligning them was not so easy, but I got it right.

The BIG issue with this figure is the ridiculous oversized flail. The thing is movie accurate, for Peter Jackson insisted on having the thing made three times over, growing in size each time. What the actor carried could not realisticly been wielded anymore (also in the shooting of the film by the way)
So I made a new one from a paint stirring stick.
I used 8 pieces, dremeled and clipped them into something like bird claws. The interior is greenstuff.

For the dramatic and threatening effect, I used the black background. Enjoy the pics!

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, NEW custom, Sloane, Wildling from Dunland, page 9.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:03 am

Here is a second Wildling from Dunland, the adversaries of the Rohirrim. I names him Sloane, a Celtic name.
This one has the shield I designed for this people: a mixture of Zulu shields with cowhide and a Celtic oval shape.
The runes are two triangles reaching, a powerful symbol of longing for clarity, both spiritual and earthly, but both are broken at the base... The Dunlendings are a deluded people who's eyes are opened after the defeat at Helm's Deep.

The base is a WWE figure: muscular and tall. This one got curly hair. It is the same style as the Uruk-Hai.
The skin was nicely finished when I decided to give him a deep sun-tanned look. Can't see the original paint anymore...
His right arm got a cut and repositioning for holding the shield better.
The spear is a sort of scythe on a pole.
The sword's grip is that of Grishnack, the blade is custom made of wood.
The shield is made by two thick iron wires with a cocktail pin in the middle. The leather is fake leather, taken from an old handpurse of my wife.
The pants are custom made from cloth.
His shoes are covered with fake leather too, creatings crudely made shoes.
Enjoy, there are more to come soon!

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, NEW customs, Sloane, Phettar and Gherlof, Wildlings of Dunland, page 9.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:56 am

The next figure I named Gherlof, spearbearer in old Germanic.
He got cloth and fur allover: shoes, skirt, a vest, armbracer and neckcover of wool.
The cloth is painted.
I kept the kneepads of the wrestler, but turned them into armor.
Since fighting in the sun makes you thirsty, I gave him a watersack, made from plastic.
He has a bit spear. I keep hearing the line: "I bring you filthy spearman from the hills" from BFME, The Witchking of Angmar expansion. he is not that filthy, but very sun-tanned.
I am really pleased with how the hair worked on this figure. More will get this nice black hair.
Since iron is a rare good in Dunland, he is carrying an axe with firestone wedged in it.
Another warrior of this clan!

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, NEW customs, Sloane, Gherlof and Phettar, Wildlings of Dunland, page 9.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:08 am

Last one in this batch of four is Phettar: an axe wielding giant, half-orc and half-wit.
He turned out a bit like Beorn for the freaky hair.
He is made of a large wrestling figure. I swapped the head with a bigger head.
Since he has molded on clothing, I had to cover him up.
I painted away his fancy tattoos also.
The cloth and pants are all handmade. The axe and knife are made of wood.
The bag on his back is the Uruk-Hai crossbow quiver, but made smaller and with a lid.
I really like the armbracers: thick fake-leather with woven reeds on top.
I opted for a wild hairstyle.
Somehow I decided to give him a smile, showing those orcish fangs. It makes him more dangerous, this smile, for he will smack you when near, still smiling...

MAKING OF:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, NEW diorama: Saruman's army display page 9.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:30 pm

ARMY OF THE WHITE HAND OF ISENGARD
For a meeting day of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor, I created this mobile display.
It is done for the Uruk-Hai and the Wildlings of Dunland (the ones I have created up sofar)

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Cave Troll, custom and repaint, page 9.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Here it is: we have ourselves a Cave Troll, from the scene at Balin's tomb in the Fellowship of the Ring.

What I did was: repairing the peeled of pieces of the face with greenstuff and superglue. A notorious problem of these aged toys this is. The face was made of flexible rubber, so when the jaw opens the face moves along. Great feature, but not durable in time. When the troll lowers his arm, the jaw opens and he has three different mighty roars, really load! I love this feature.

He had two levers in his back to operate the arms, but you can do it by hand all the same, so I filled up the giant openings in his back. Molding the skin-scales was tricky, but I managed.

And than a big repaint, which was a challenge, but it worked out nice! I also gave him shoulder armor, made from the dungeon master orc his body armor. The rust I did with wet paint in which I rubbed chilipowder for cooking. It has the right colour and texture.

I customized the spear, for I bought one without it and the plastic of the original warps anyway.
And I added a stand with a layer of lead in in, to keep him standing when hammering down.

IN BATTLE:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Customized McFarlane Malebolgia into a monster of Morgoth, page 10.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 pm

In Lord of the Rings, Tolkien mentions "all kinds of evil creatures" that are drawn to Sauron.
When I encountered this monster from the McFarlane Spawn series, I wanted to use him as a creature from a remote realm in Middle Earth.
Perhaps something the Variags dragged along with them, or a beast that guarded another passage in the walls of Mordor like Shelob. I therefor gave the beast a somewhat exotic colour scheme in the horns.

What I customized:
I gave him an upper jaw (for the demon has none) and added all the teeth, tongue and the gums around it.
The horns on top of his shoulders and head are made by me.
The tail was bend inward, which I found silly, so I cut the tail up and added pieces to bend it more outwards.
For his neck I added a necklace and chains. He now is more a warbeast than the demon of Spawn.
I made him an uneven stand, for the tail gives too much pressure when standing up and pushes the figure sideways. Bummer.

And after this a huge repaint. It took me quite some to and fro to get all the details the way I wanted.
Since his beak is a bit dragon or crocodile like, I gave him green eyes.
There is a lot of detail in the skin. One of this are the round dots. I decided to paint these yellow to suggest some sort of skin detoriation. Like the orcs, Shelob or Gollum, he is not a wholesome creature. And it gave more dynamic to his looks. :-)

Hope you like the outcome as I do myself!

MAKING OF

THE ORIGINAL FIGURE:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Lord of the Rings, Ogre scavenger, custom of the Harry Potter troll figure, page

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Ogre scavenger , custom of the Harry Potter troll.

In The Lord of the Rings appendices, Tolkien speaks of more evil creatures that gather around Sauron.
Wherewolves, vampires and ''all kinds of evil creatures''.
In the movies we see only some. In the Hobbit, Peter Jackson introduces a new kind of monsters: the ogres that flipped over the dwarf carriots. I had these in mind, making this ogre. Together with the Warhammer ogres from the Ogre Empire.

I started with the Harry Potter troll. The head was ridiculously small, so that is a spare for an orc now.
Instead I placed the head of Gothmog on him. That was too small as well. I therefor added volume with alufoil and thick superglue. I finished with greenstuff, building up layer after layer. I am really pleased with the way the head turned out. :-)
He moves his head in a wooden thick pin, fixed with an iron nail through the neck. He can look up and down now and left and right.

About the added items:
A big issue was that I wanted arm articulation. I've never done that before. A ball joint seemed the best option, so I used big wooden beads. The rotation comes from a screw with a closed ring on it. A pin goes through the ring and gives the arm some moveability to the left and right. Since the ball fits very tight, much articulation is not there. The joints staid good looking this way, so that is ok.
For fun, I turned him into a scavenger, picking up stuff from the battlefields: a hand, a lizard, a basket full of weapons, some cloth, raw meat, a neat blanket, a skull and a bottle of whine.
The bottle is playmobil as is the raw meat (with thick superglue as meat)
The hand is from the gondorian ranger. He isn't pleased with how his life turned out...
The skull is from Guritz, the Orc lieutenant.
The club is handmade from a real stick and coctailpins. The iron bands are tywraps. I used real thin nails as nails.
The bag with the lizard is from the Uruk crossbow figure.
The lizard is some toy thing from my children when they were young.
The cloth is painted over fabric. I used so much paint, the cloth is allmost solid,
His hair is real sheepwool.
The folded blanket is from the Aragorn ranger figure.
All the swords and weapons in the basket are from several sources. The basket itself I once bought in a bundle buy, from a McFarlane character.
To add lining, I glued in a rope over the skirt. The skirt has been spiced up with another line on the top, as if it is folded and hanging down. The added pieces are from the skirt of the Mordor Orc trooper.
The earring is a real iron ring, clipped into his ear. The ears are the original ones from the Gothmog head.

Finally a huge repaint. I choose flesh tones as a base, instead of the grey/blue of the original. That way he would stand more out on the field and look more like a different species that the trolls or orcs.

Enjoy this brute!

MAKING OF:

ORIGINAL FIGURE:

Return to “Custom Galleries”