Haslab: Reva's Lightsaber

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Haslab: Reva's Lightsaber

Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Star Wars just keep making really stupid choices with their HasLab's.

If the Rancor had tiers people wanted it would have gone right into production.

Now this weird choice of a Lightsaber?
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:05 pm

GI Joe just launched and is already well ahead of this :lol:

I think it’s safe to call this one done now. No tiers, no incentives, lacking potential functionality, and not a captivating price. Had this been $300-350 I think it would have done much better. Two blades don’t equate to double the price.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:40 am

You just can't make an inquisitor double saber that does zero of the things that make an inquisitor double saber special. Specially for a brand new character that mostly just went around getting their ass kicked. This was extremely ill thought out, specially after their last attempt.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:32 pm

Late update:

Reva's lightsaber: 1298/5000 (-4). well there we go, the first loss of backers. Now the question is which way will this go? I'm guessing a slow crawl of losing backers until the end. 25.96% funded with 11d 13h left

HISS Tank - 10130/8000 FUNDED!!!!! Tier 1 reached!!!!! Now bring on the Tier 2 reveal. 126.63% of funding total with 46d 13h left.
GrumpyMatt
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:42 pm

I'd love to know if there were alternative projects being considered to the Reva saber and what they were.
Darth_Drakonis
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Rancor is still the obvious Black Series Haslab.

They just need better timing and execution.

Only other two realistic options for a Black Series Haslabs would be an X-Wing or a AT-ST..... that's about it for the 6in scale outside of mb dioramas.....
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:29 am

The Rancor was really a victim of poor timing and terrible planning. Running 3 concurrent Haslabs ending right in the middle of Christmas shopping season was just idiotic. We really shouldn’t ever have Haslabs overlapping. We get so few of them they should be spread out. Even one a quarter would probably work. And they really should avoid having any end in December as they’re fighting with Christmas shopping for people’s money. And had the rancor been launched just a few all weeks later after Book of Boba Fett finished, even though it’s a different rancor, the show would have surly helped boost sales.

Reva’s saber just never had a chance. Banking on a new, unproven character isn’t usually a good move. One of Maul’s sabers would have done much better. Seems pretty obvious Disney pushed this one.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:47 am

I think it would have had a good chance if it could split in two and spin. Spinning is a good trick to get people to open up their wallets. But Hasbro said this is it, no tiers, take it or leave it.

Now it will join Cookie Monster and the Rancor in the great Haslab in the sky.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm

Canada Day Update: (HAPPY CANADA DAY TO MY FELLOW CANUCKS!!!!)

Reva's Lightsaber:

1303/5000 (+4) So back to gaining some backers, and with the loss yesterday it works out to a gain of 1 backers over the last 3 days. This is just painful to watch.

26.06% funded with 10d 16h left.

HISS Tank:

11,225 / 8,000 (+1281) That is gain since my late update yesterday. Man it gained almost as many backers in one day as Reva's Lightsaber has in it's entire run so far.

As I said previously I like what is included with Tier 2, but I am not impressed that it is actually an unlock. It should have been included in the base offering and I am disappointed with it being an unlock. I think this was a bit of a misstep by the Joe team, but I can't argue with their success so far with Haslabs.

140.31% of funding goal with 45d 16h left.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:10 pm

Hasbro.

I’d recommend you give yourself a year. Make a plan for a kick button AT-ST for Black Series or Vintage Death Star play set/diorama and try again in late 2023. Shoot for $250-300 range and have your ducks in a row before offering it.

Good luck.

You’re gonna need it.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:23 pm

This is so frustrating. Hasbro didnt even TRY and sell this thing. I am NOT stirring crap up,but I really wonder if there are problems between Lucasfilm and Hasbro. It certainly seems like the Star Wars Brand is not getting the love and attention that the other lines are. When a GI JOE tank that hasnt been relevant in any media in over 30 years kicks your @$$ and takes your lunch money this hard.....theres a problem Hasbro.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:11 am

It’s even gotten to the point Hasbro has been more or less venting to us that Lucasfilm isn’t sharing materials with them ahead of time and they’re seeing things in real time with us. Seems true with Book of Boba Fett but they really got the heads up on Obi-Wan Kenobi. We’ve had more figures from that than we did for nearly the first year of the Mandalorian. So something definitely changed there, but perhaps not for the better with the seemingly mandated Reva push in all lines. Glad for the change but not so sure even Lucasfilm understands what the fans are wanting at this point. Hasbro did a shotgun approach with this to try and hit everything and this lightsaber just wasn’t a hit. Can’t win them all but I think most of the figures did well.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 am

Insomnia Update probably a bit too much Canada Day fun ;)

Reva's Lightsaber -

1,308/5000 (+5) So back to, roughly, the daily average of gains. Not much else to mention. 26.16% funded with 9d 19h left.

HISS Tank -

12,006/8,000 (+781) WOO-HOO!!! Tier 2 is now unlocked. Ok Hasbro what is Tier 3, I need to know now, now, now, now. :)

Still chugging along nicely, and enjoying the ride before the inevitable mid campaign slowdown.

Anyway 150.01% of funding goal with 44d 19h left.
MisterPL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:08 pm

As memory serves, "The Black Series" was intended to be perceived as a premium brand. It began as a justification for the higher MSRP on the Walmart exclusive 3 3/4" figures but later became the trade dress used on higher-ticket merchandise, from 6" figures to prop replicas.

While there are folks lamenting the last two Star Wars HasLab offerings as a detrimental to The Black Series as a brand, I'm confident that the end consumer is savvy enough to know the difference between the two categories that were offered. (One's an action figure and the other is role play.)

Yes, The Vintage Collection has had two successful backings and maybe that's where the money is. But consider what's been offered; vehicles that double as displays, either for figures that have been in your collection for years or figures that are currently available. One could argue that nostalgia played a huge factor in making the Khetanna a success but that wouldn't explain how the Razor Crest got funded. I believe it comes down to offering a vehicle that serves as a playset for a lot of figures. That's not easy to do at the 6" scale.

Beyond action figures, Hasbro has had quite of bit of success moving lightsabers. Kids of all ages love those laser swords, whether the blades are inflatable or extendable or whether the hilt is electronic or not. Those things sell. They've done well as toys and replicas in many scales. I can understand the decision to offer a completely new lightsaber as a HasLab project under The Black Series brand.

What makes no sense is the lack of bells and whistles on Reva's. Unless Hasbro puts up a stretch goal that simply states, "IT SPINS," there's not much perceived value to this one. I agree with others; it's a cool saber. But it's not $500 cool, especially in this economy.

Offer the one Disney developed for the theme park cast members, the one with the blade that extends AND lights up and I think you've got something innovative enough to catch quite a few more eyes. Otherwise, this saber is likely to be buried in the sands of Tatooine next to a certain Rancor.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:24 pm

Update:

Reva's Lightsaber:

1302/5000 (-6) Well another day of losing backers, basically back to Wed/Thurs numbers, so a whole weekend basically lost. I have a feeling that we might see another big boost one of these days, but it's much too late. The writing is on the wall and this is all but over in my opinion.

26.04% funded with 8d 17h left.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”