Haslab Rancor

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Haslab Rancor

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Rishi_Eel wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:05 pm
You're right that it just feels boring. It's almost like they're taking it as a given that it's going to fund, and doing the bare minimum to promote.
That’s what it seems like to me as well. Funny thing is, they’re probably right. I haven’t jumped yet, but I’m 99% certain that I’m gonna back it. I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t get funded.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 pm

MickJohnson wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am
EB Games in Australia is selling backer deposits for the rancor. Full price is $798 AUD.

The current exchange rate for $350 to AUD is $470. I dunno what drugs they’re on.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/toys ... ion-figure
Two things:

1- That price....OOFA!!!! The Canadian and Australian dollars are almost exactly at par with each other. So I feel the pain of that price, it is way too high.

2- Is that date right? 2 years after the close of the funding window?
Benn Roe
Super Poseable

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 am

Eh, it closes in December 2021 and arrives Spring 2023, that's a year and a quarter to a year and a half. It's definitely longer than the usual wait time of a year, but not by much. They're probably just giving themselves wiggle room because of the current state of shipping.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:15 am

MarcelDuchamp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:00 am
If we get a Hutt Slayer Leia with Photo Real and Oola, I think it is worth it. It's the perfect way to release them too.
Yep, at the equivalent of US$452.73 in the UK, gonna need both of those, Malakilli and Luke to commit. Without those I'm completely sanguine about skipping this. This time last year missing anything was a guaranteed disappointment but pricing this year's making me skip more which is making me care less already.
TheLoneToyman
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:03 am

docsilence wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:59 am

Honestly, and I know I'm weird for saying this, I would've been happy with a less pricy, limited articulation rancor similar to the large trolls in Mythic Legion (which are very expensive for the articulation they offer).
You're not the only one who feels this way.

I'm probably not going to back this one for a lot of reasons, but a big one is that it feels like Hasbro is getting cocky with these Haslabs. $350 isn't a huge amount of money these days, but it is a lot to spend on one non-essential item that we won't get for over a year. If I hadn't just dropped $400+ on Galactus last month, this would be a much more likely buy. I know that they're different lines, but a lot of us collect many of Hasbro's lines. Running three simultaneous HasLab projects on the heels of two others just feels greedy.

On top of that, the Rancor feels like an afterthought to them that they know will get funded so they don't have to put in much effort. I keep thinking about the Snow Speeder that I bought last year. While I like that vehicle and it is very well done, it's been sitting on a shelf for almost a full year without me even touching it. Would I really notice if it wasn't there? Am I going to feel the same way if I buy this Rancor, just at 3x the price? I know these aren't the questions that should be asked on a toy collector's board, but this is where I'm at.
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 am

They need to do something to juice this,and I'm sure they will,but I am absolutely shocked at how few have backed it and how the hype has already stalled. It absolutely does feel like they half-assed this reveal because they naturally assumed Star Wars was a slam-dunk. They need to show the stretch goals and maybe another,better video highlighting this thing if they want it to take off.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:44 am

Longbowhunter wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 am
They need to do something to juice this,and I'm sure they will,but I am absolutely shocked at how few have backed it and how the hype has already stalled. It absolutely does feel like they half-assed this reveal because they naturally assumed Star Wars was a slam-dunk. They need to show the stretch goals and maybe another,better video highlighting this thing if they want it to take off.
There are so many problems/concerns with how Hasbro has handled the last week, and product reveals.

Three Haslabs running at the same time is just crazy to me. At least with Galactus and Victory Saber they were consecutive so I had time to back both. Now with the Rancor, Skystriker, and Proton Pack all ending within 48(?), 72(?) hours of each other I just can't justify putting down that much cash, especially so close to Christmas.

Granted the Proton Pack is not a big deal for me, and having to pay extra to buy the Neutrona Wand elsewhere just irks me. So it most likely would have been a pass anyway.

The Rancor though was a strong possibility, but with the Joe team absolutely killing it with the Skystriker reveal (that is how you do it, reveal everything and have both a full colour render, and an actual model) I have gone with the Skystriker. I want both, but in the end it will probably be just too much.

Also, as you said, they really have underwhelmed with the project so far. I mean a grey colour digital render? No tier reveals? And thanks to all the product Hasbro is pumping out, or promoting, the Rancor is way down the front page on Pulse. I'm sure a lot of people will back this no matter what, but I imagine a not insignificant portion are waiting to see. All the while wondering what the SW team is doing when compared to the other projects.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 am

I plan to back it, but I'm disappointed in how it is being handled so far. If it doesn't come with some really nice stretch goals (and they are met) to help better justify the cost and/or sell, I don't know if I'll follow through. I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting on those, which may be counter productive.

And paint it! Let us see if it is detailed and awesome, or looks like a cheap toy...
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:37 am

TheLoneToyman wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:03 am
docsilence wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:59 am

Honestly, and I know I'm weird for saying this, I would've been happy with a less pricy, limited articulation rancor similar to the large trolls in Mythic Legion (which are very expensive for the articulation they offer).
You're not the only one who feels this way.

I'm probably not going to back this one for a lot of reasons, but a big one is that it feels like Hasbro is getting cocky with these Haslabs. $350 isn't a huge amount of money these days, but it is a lot to spend on one non-essential item that we won't get for over a year. If I hadn't just dropped $400+ on Galactus last month, this would be a much more likely buy. I know that they're different lines, but a lot of us collect many of Hasbro's lines. Running three simultaneous HasLab projects on the heels of two others just feels greedy.

On top of that, the Rancor feels like an afterthought to them that they know will get funded so they don't have to put in much effort. I keep thinking about the Snow Speeder that I bought last year. While I like that vehicle and it is very well done, it's been sitting on a shelf for almost a full year without me even touching it. Would I really notice if it wasn't there? Am I going to feel the same way if I buy this Rancor, just at 3x the price? I know these aren't the questions that should be asked on a toy collector's board, but this is where I'm at.
Yeah. If I hadn't just backed Galactus (and been knocked silly when the wonky knees on my Sentinel sent it falling over and clobbered me in the back of the head) I'd back this right away, but had they offered a limited articulation Rancor for $125, made it a fan channel exclusive? I'd have bought it in a New York minute. But I'm in the same spot as you with the snow speeder - I'm trying to find a home for it in my house because I haven't touched it in months and I have a very nice Star Wars Lego set that needs the room on the shelf it's taking up.

If they drop four figures that won't be available ever again as part of the kickstarter I'll be furious but back it anyway, but that's my dividing line. If the figures are meh, hey, I'd love a rancor, but not for this much money so soon after the Galactus KS. I'm just glad I'm not currently collecting Joes at the scale of the jet or in dire need of a proton pack. Running three campaigns at once feels like they didn't do their research - I back a LOT of stuff, and I've seen so many great campaigns derailed by similar games or projects that cannibalized the same audience. Collectors spend a lot of money but we have limits. (And heck, all those Legends waves hitting early right now? I bet a lot of prospective rancor backers are currently shocked they got charged for three waves of Legends five months early.)
XMenLegacy
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 pm

I'm gonna need Oola to back this up. No Oola, no deal.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 pm

XMenLegacy wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 pm
I'm gonna need Oola to back this up. No Oola, no deal.
i'm in the same boat -- no Oola, no sale.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:26 pm

I was fully ready to back this, as I did the Sentinel and the Razor Crest and Galactus. At least until my Sentinel arrived ... My copy's lights don't work at all. I went round and round and round with Hasbro customer service for over a month. They finally provided an answer: "Go away."

They stated that, due to the Sentinel being a limited item, they have no replacement stock available. The best I could hope for is a full refund, not a thing otherwise. Many, many other people that bought the Sentinel have complained of the very weak knees (the designed-ratchets don't engage whatsoever and it's impossible to disassemble without actually destroying parts) and it looks like the HasLab team is throwing everybody into the same pit.

Toy collecting, ain't it grand!
badguy543
CROM!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:42 pm

When this was announced I was really excited. I still have my childhood Rancor and to have a Black Series version like the Wampa is something I really didn't think would happen. I'm not sure what the issue is but I feel like they aren't taking getting this character in the line seriously. These other two projects have shot out of the gate with fan enthusiasm but this one's limping along. Pretty sure the fist stretch is the Rancor Keeper and the second has to be Oola, a character I couldn't see making the line elsewise, but why not just kill the speculation and let us know? I don't think they have decided the last two stretch goals yet which is why they aren't setting any but with this lazy approach we might not make it that far. There the chance for some cool bonuses like Palace denizens, skiff guards, palace entertainers and maybe even diorama pieces. The team on this should at least act like they care if it funds.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:48 pm

This Rancor is nice looking, I feel it's overpriced but it's nice looking. I agree with the sentiments above though. Limits can be reached....even among collectors who spend way too much on non-essential items and always find ways to rationalize the spending.

At some point, too much stuff all at once stretches our wallets to the breaking point. Too many large items make each large item less special and less of a collection centerpiece. I backed the barge when it came out as I viewed it as a potential centerpiece for my 3.75" SW collection. And it is...it holds a ton of figures. I backed the Sentinel for the same reason. Galactus….even though it's bigger it's a lesser item imo.

This, I don't even know how I'd display this. It's not a centerpiece item. I can load up the Sentinel with like 20 X characters. Galactus I can have the Fantastic Four all fighting it. This? Well, I can have Luke and a Gamorean on display with it. Maybe Oola? It's the same problem you guys are saying with the Snowspeeder...and now I'm glad I didn't get one. It looks cool but you set it up with two figures and that's it. These large Black Series items just aren't what I want exactly. I'm waiting for GTP to bring back their old style space walls. I'd rather dump the same amount of money and build a massive Death Star shelf display that I can load up tons of characters in.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Having a third Haslab going simultaneously is just poor management on Hasbro’s part. And the timing is just atrocious. They are really shooting them selves in the foot with that decision and it looks like the Rancor is the one taking the beating by being the one most people are dropping.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”

Recent Topics