Haslab Rancor

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Haslab Rancor

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:12 am

What he lacks in height (compared to Sentinel/Galactus), he makes up for in girth. I'm not saying he should be taller, he shouldn't. Just saying that side picture shows that there's probably just as much plastic used, even though it's much shorter.

This will be an absolute beast, in-hand.
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:47 am

The Gill-Man wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 am
Unless I get an awesome paying job by December 6, with an incredible signing bonus, I won't be backing this. I could have probably justified adding to my credit card debt while being unemployed if this was a bit cheaper, say $200-$250, but this just a bit too rich for my blood. I'm not mad....Hasbro is in the money-making business, but I won't lie...this bums me out.
Respect! I appreciate your attitude! Hope you find work and are able to back this! Seems like you are a good dude. So many now a days would act like a pissy little baby and expect Hasbro to give them the Rancor for free!
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:34 am

Okay Hasbro, I'll back this. But you have to reissue a Jabba with a throne and Salacious B. Crumb!
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:43 am

I'm not saying he should be free. Yes Hasbro is a business and has to make a profit. Doesn't mean you have to gouge and be dicks about it. We all help keep Hasbro in business. They aren't doing us a favor making a $350 Rancor. They want money and are testing buyer limits. They did good with Victory Saber. That was reasonable and one of their most successful Haslabs ever as a result (build it right and they will come). Remains to be seen if the value will be there for the Rancor. Right now I'd say no. And it doesn't matter if it funds. That's almost a foregone conclusion. They've proven they can practically sell Star Wars toilet paper and people will throw themselves on a sword to buy it. I feel they're really starting to abuse their fandom of late. Sooner or later people will catch on to that and respond in kind.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:50 am

Had the Rancor been done last year, he’d probably have been $250-300. Prices on basic figures went up this year. The Razorcrest could have been $400-450 this year for all we know. Yeah, prices going up suck but that’s just the world we live in. When you look at 1983 or even 2010 prices for a Rancor they’d be shocked to see what one costs in 2021. I’m sure by the time all 4 tiers are unlocked, he’ll look like a fairer value but he won’t certainly be a steal.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 am

I don’t think this is about up charging die to brand.

Victory saber is smaller and less plastic. It has loads of molded pieces in different colors cutting down on paint costs. It’s costs rounded out well with the display base, shield, mini bots and effects. Basically Commander class $90 combined with leader $50 with accessories.

This Rancor is going to have at least two figures come with it, probably three. $40-60. It looks to be about as much plastic as Sentinel. It’s going to have a lot of paint. They’re going to take Lucasfilm statues and dial the paint back maybe 30%. It’s going to be posable diorama for Black series. I think depending on the stretches the Rancor is about $275 after subtracting their value. That seems about right.

This thing will make the goals.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarcelDuchamp
Super Poseable

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:00 am

If we get a Hutt Slayer Leia with Photo Real and Oola, I think it is worth it. It's the perfect way to release them too.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 am

I don’t know if there has been any ‘Huttslayer’ merch since that rebranding. I really doubt she’ll come with this as she didn’t have any direct interaction with the Rancor. Oola makes a lot of sense though - especially if most of the tiers are meals like Gamorean hands and Luke bones. Rancor Keeper is the only figure I’d be willing to bet money on as being one of the tiers. If you want him, you’ll want the Rancor too. He’d feel out of place at retail with no Rancor available to purchase so here just makes the most sense for his release.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 am

I don't think there's anyway they will release two female figures with him -- so I'm choosing Oola. She virtually has no chance outside of this release IMO... Leia has other ways of being released pretty easily, especially if they cover her up with soft goods as a Sand Storm Leia.
Rishi_Eel
Super Poseable

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:07 am

I think Malikili and Oola are shoe-ins for tier unlocks, as most people seem to be expecting. I also think that Luke (with skull and bone accessories) is inevitable, as much as I'd rather he wasn't. He is a crucial part of the scene, and the Walmart palace Luke is going to be loooong gone by the time this releases. Also based on the Surfer with Galactus, Hasbro isn't avoiding including popular characters. The fourth unlock will probably just be rocks and a Gamorrean arm or something, but for an out of left field pick, what about Giran, the Nikto guard who is comforting Malakili? He's another generic palace character, and a lot of the parts could probably be reused for other guards in the mainline.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:24 am

Prophet924 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 am
I don’t think this is about up charging die to brand.

Victory saber is smaller and less plastic. It has loads of molded pieces in different colors cutting down on paint costs. It’s costs rounded out well with the display base, shield, mini bots and effects. Basically Commander class $90 combined with leader $50 with accessories.

This Rancor is going to have at least two figures come with it, probably three. $40-60. It looks to be about as much plastic as Sentinel. It’s going to have a lot of paint. They’re going to take Lucasfilm statues and dial the paint back maybe 30%. It’s going to be posable diorama for Black series. I think depending on the stretches the Rancor is about $275 after subtracting their value. That seems about right.

This thing will make the goals.

Thwipp!

Just as much plastic but as much moving parts?... I don't know...

Which brings it back to VS -- yes smaller but you can't discount all the engineering involved with multiple multiple shifting parts to transform. That's a big thing right there.

True if they plan to laden the Rancor with 2-3 quality figures and not just effect pieces -- where Victory Saber kinda failed was the stretch goals; most of the value was in the main package -- then yeah he'll turn out to be an ok value. But I can already foresee the Razorcrest being the much better value. Still, change my mind Hasbro. Prove me wrong.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:55 pm

I got the impression that when it comes to Rancor the most pivotal joints are the shoulders and ankles. The one designer stumbled over discussing things learned by their Hasbro colleagues in Marvel. He stated clicking joints. I think this was an attempt to say something without saying more. I’m sure the Sentinel design that did not succeed is not something that can say.

I do understand that Transformers have lots of engineering to create but Victory Saber is still much less plastic to make. This thing is going to be very large.

Razorcrest is impressive. But I can’t see anything with that ship except a giant explosion. The chump way they removed it from the show destroyed any enthusiasm for that. If I had back it. I almost did. I would have sold it. I have the Lego version and I’m not kidding. We bought it for a nice discount the week before they blew it up.

But Lucas kills the Rancor you say…fair point. I know they gave the ship more story time than the Rancor. It’s the nature of the exit for me. Rancor dies in battle with Luke. Razorcrest gets toasted while parked.

Thwipp!

FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Yeah, just like that punk Alderaan! Just got blown up in orbit, what a beta!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:12 pm

The Joe team just showed up the Star Wars team how to do a Haslab reveal. Full paint rendering, grey sample model in studio, and revealed all tiers and the amounts needed for them. Even a packaging mock up! What a mic drop!
Reefer Shark
CROM!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:14 pm

I fully expected this to be $350, and think i even mentioned that here when the thread started. It’s an absolute unit of a figure, you really cant gauge the size of this thing by its height at all.

Im trying to veer away from 1/12 a little bit and have recently scored the Target Legacy 3 3/4” Rancor, so I'm going to just be happy with that and plan to put my crowdfunding dollars into the Gi-Joe and Roboskull campaigns instead.

I have no doubt this thing is going to be incredible though and it will be hard to resist when painted images come up and stretch goals start getting revealed!

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”