GTP 1:12 Tantive IV news...???

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: GTP 1:12 Tantive IV news...???

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:44 am

343guiltyspark wrote:GTP Toys said in their last update that these Tantive IV sets were supposed to ship late August. But given its early August now and there haven’t been any updates on their social media for 4+ weeks, I’m pretty skeptical on that happening. Honestly, I’m resigned to the fact that these will probably be pretty late but I’m just hoping those who preordered will actually get them eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a little concerned if we will get them at all based on their problems.
mr Articulate
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:10 pm

Website has been updated to read "Shipping September 2021"
343guiltyspark
HULK SMASH!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:58 am

mr Articulate wrote:Website has been updated to read "Shipping September 2021"
Thanks, I didn’t notice that. Hope to hear more updates soon.

SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:23 pm

If big CORPORATIONS are having shipping issues right now, there is NO WAY a small outfit like GTP is going to get better shipping.

This isn't some rookie Kickstarter funded company making their first product. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially when we know how the company is basically a single guy running it now.
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35 am

SalemCrow wrote:If big CORPORATIONS are having shipping issues right now, there is NO WAY a small outfit like GTP is going to get better shipping.

This isn't some rookie Kickstarter funded company making their first product. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially when we know how the company is basically a single guy running it now.
That is what concerns me. The fact that there was trouble and it is now just a single guy running it.
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Everything is f***ed up on Chinas end. A shipping container that used to cost $2k to ship now costs $20,000. Theres is NO WAY that smaller companies can just eat that price-its been all but said thats why so much of Mezco’s stuff has been delayed recently. A one-man operation like GTP? They are at the mercy of international shipping-nothing anyone can do about it,unless someone with deep pockets steps up to pay the shipping fees.
mr Articulate
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 am

Instagram update from 4 days ago

gtptoys
Updates are coming, please hang tight a few more days
4d
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:12 pm

Reading that Tantive update broke my heart and for some reason made me angry at Disney. Was the licensed approved factory he was saddled with making other Disney stuff as well? Did they take his money for the license and basically say yeah we know it’s a crap show but good luck? That’s some crappy business if so.

But I understand business is a crap show most of the time.

It was good to see the passion. It’s that passion I saw in the unlicensed Space Walls that had me invest initially. I hope the modular product comes out better for him. I can wait and see.

Thwipp!

Benedict
CROM!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:48 pm

Can you post the update? It seems t be via email only.
ShootingtheGalaxy
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Benedict wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:48 pm
Can you post the update? It seems t be via email only.
GTP update story

Let me bring you up to speed with what’s been going on this year.
It started with Covid (of course) and working with a new factory that is Disney approved.
This new factory wasn’t nearly as good as my other factories that I had been working with for the past decade and where I made the original spacewalls at. Being disney approved does not in any way mean the factory is better. So to work with an unknown/new factory and not be able to travel and check up on progress was a huge time killer. The factory was closed down 3 times for several months. Because of the huge amounts of money I spent on the Star was license, and the super low sales numbers, I have been stuck doing the best I can with the sales coming in. I really thought that having the Star Wars license would help with sales...... instead, it greatly limited me to what I could post, what information I could share, what I could say and how the sets were made.

On top of all these problems that were honestly out of my hands, there have been mistakes and problems of my own doing. Losing John took a lot of the wind from my sails, and I found the project overwhelming on my own. He did all the IG posting and responded to messages and emails. I hate it and I’m terrible at it, but that’s not an excuse for not doing what should have been done. There has also been no money to get any help. The investors we found that got the project rolling backed out part way thru and we found ourselves out of money overnight.

GTP sold about 4,500 original spacewalls sets worldwide, so of course I thought if I had the official license…. I could at least double that - wouldn’t you? ........ The TANITIVE IV sold about 490 sets.
I needed a minimum of 2500 sets to start production. All the money from sales has gone into tooling. I have taken a new job to stay afloat and GTP is being run out of my garage. It’s not a happy story I know. Disney was good enough to extend my contract because everyone is behind in manufacturing right now.
But that ended September 30th.
This is why I can now tell you what’s going on now.

I loved making toys and being part of the toy community. The very last thing I would ever want is for anyone to lose out. I have never had a project that didn’t make it to the hands of a customer.
Delays are hard and frustrating. I have been on both sides of it. As a customer you get scared and worried, and you really want to have the item you paid for.
As the “company” the stress of people wanting information that you can’t share and the stress of being behind schedule is nearly unbearable at times.
On top of the normal and even justified complaints, I have had Internet trolls who got the GTP facebook page shutdown twice, website hacked and got the site briefly shut down. The stress of these kind of attacks are soul crushing.

Even with all that, I am doing everything I can to salvage this project.

So, what does it mean for everyone now that GTP no longer has the star wars license…...It means GTP TOYS will no longer be able to produce or sell the TANITIVE IV licensed sets and that we had to file for bankruptcy.

Now what? Do I accept the failure and loss, accept the embarrassment with my peers and just fade into obscurity…… OR do I find some people to help and with a new LLC to bring back the original SPACEWALLS line (that I have been prohibited in making under contract or even mention) and raise the money and sales needed to finish the Tantive sets ( 2000 sets )?

GTP has over $100k invested in just the tooling for the Tantive set. Only the big doorway and floor is unfinished. I have sacrificed too much and We have all come too far not to have the sets. Most of the tooling for parts are already built. It would be tragic to have gotten this far and not finish.

MOST importantly: What this means to all of you with an outstanding order with GTP ?
It means that you will receive (in time) a “Spacewalls Princess edition set” from a new company.
Its the TANITIVE set without licensing BUT the added benefit of being modular again (the biggest complaint I’ve had and something I was prohibited in making)
The downside is obviously that It's going to take more time.

Followed by some picture updates of the dio
Benedict
CROM!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:15 pm

Thanks.
That’s a rubbish situation to be in, I feel for him. I already have 3 or 4 sets of walls from GTP, but when he’s back I’ll get some more to support him. That Disney license doesn’t sound like it had any positives to it apart from the Tantive name.
GrumpyMatt
Avengers Assemble

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 pm

It's kind of shocking to see that less than 500 Tantive sets were sold.
ShootingtheGalaxy
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:20 pm

GrumpyMatt wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 pm
It's kind of shocking to see that less than 500 Tantive sets were sold.
Their prior sets were really sold in word of mouth. No one has this set to get the word out on.

Not to mention that it really doesn't fit their normal customer model; customers who are there for modular parts that fit any display and are less than $100 per set.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 pm

That's terrible. I really feel for the guy and I had a feeling being an actual license holder meant a lot of red tape to get through. I have 3 sets of his GTP 3.75" Space walls. I was looking forward to new 3.75" stuff at the time. I was especially looking forward to the Death Star Docking Bay they were going to release in 3.75" scale as a license holder.

I'm interested in the Spacewalls Princess Edition seeing as they will be modular again.

And I'm interested in more original Space walls.

This is the lowest point I'm sure....but I know he makes a great product and I'm sure the collecting community could help this company get back on its feet.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 am

That sucks for him, and it definitely confirms some of the things I thought about Disney when it comes to their licenses (in relation to Super 7's Ultimates).

I was interested in the set, but the cost and lack of the modular feature was a bummer (now seeing that it was a Disney mandate makes sense). If he can now offer it in smaller sets, I would still like to get some pieces when they're ready.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”