Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:10 pm

WayCoolPeople wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:12 am
Nothing wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:07 pm
We're not talking about regular price increases here. They were selling figures for $19.99 just last year. A 20% price increase would have them at $23.99. I think most people would understand that.

But we're talking about them selling regular figures for $27.99 and pseudo-"Deluxe" figures for $33.99 now. Those are price increases of 40%-70%. I'm sorry but the cost of doing business and manufacturing has not gone up 40 to 70 percent during the previous two years.

They got jealous of NECA's price points.

I think this is actually mostly inflation. More than sixty percent of the CPI increase since 2013 happened in the last two years—almost forty percent in the last twelve months of CPI date (though June).

The basic figure price over the years in August 2013 dollars:

2013 — $19.99
2014 — $19.66
2015 — $19.62
2016 — $19.41
2017 — $19.04
2018 — $18.54
2019 — $18.22
2020 — $17.99
2021 — $19.65 (increase to $22.99)
2022 — $19.72 (through June)

What's going on with exclusive prices, I don't know. We've seen prices this expensive since 2016, but it wasn't unusual for an exclusive to be sold at the mainline price point as recently as 2020.

Some adjusted historical per-figure exclusive prices:

First Order Stormtrooper — $31.03 (SDCC)

Clone Trooper 4-Pack — $30.68 (EE)
Rogue One 3-Pack — $28.60 (Target)

Captain Rex — $30.00 (HasCon)
Clone Commander Gree — $30.25 (TRU)
First Order Executioner — $26.40 (Target)
Inferno Squad Agent — $27.62 (GameStop)
Praetorian Guard (Heavy Blade) — $30.40 (Amazon)

Deluxe Gammorean Guard — $35.26 (Target)
Deluxe Moloch — $35.14 (Target)

Commander Fox — $28.77 (Fan Channel)

Ahsoka Tano — $28.45 (Walmart)
Hondo Ohnaka — $28.49 (Target)
Jedi Knight Revan — $28.63 (GameStop)

It's curious that TVC isn't seeing the same markups for retailer exclusives that TBS and Marvel Legends are. Maybe there's a specific shipping impact that we're not seeing?
If it's inflation, then explain DC Multiverse. Larger figures, unique tooling on almost every one, and they're holding the line at $20 or $25 for the Build a Figure ones. This is Hasbro's greed, plain and simple. They're the only game in town for Star Wars and Marvel, and they'll charge what they want because they can.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:53 pm

Odowan wrote:
If it's inflation, then explain DC Multiverse. Larger figures, unique tooling on almost every one, and they're holding the line at $20 or $25 for the Build a Figure ones.

We don't have to because McFarlane explained it himself in his recent interview with Shartimus. He said he can afford to break even or lose money because he owns his company, whereas he knows Hasbro can't do that because they report to stockholders. He said he's content for now to keep the price point intact until...who knows what, he didn't say.

I'm guessing he's just going for increasing his market share to some goal he has in his head and then he'll raise prices.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:07 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Odowan wrote:
If it's inflation, then explain DC Multiverse. Larger figures, unique tooling on almost every one, and they're holding the line at $20 or $25 for the Build a Figure ones.

We don't have to because McFarlane explained it himself in his recent interview with Shartimus. He said he can afford to break even or lose money because he owns his company, whereas he knows Hasbro can't do that because they report to stockholders. He said he's content for now to keep the price point intact until...who knows what, he didn't say.

I'm guessing he's just going for increasing his market share to some goal he has in his head and then he'll raise prices.
I don't think he's breaking even or losing money. If I recall he talked about share holders, and how a corporation like Hasbro has to make more profit every year for their share holders. They have to show an increase. Since he is the owner and has no share holders to be beholden to, he is okay with the idea of maintaining, and not necessarily increasing, profit. Or at least not increasing profit as fast. He can even afford to not make as much in a given year.

He's hoping to increase sales by having product on the shelf at a better price point. He also said he'll likely have to increase prices at some point, but he's going to hold off as long as he can.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:11 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Odowan wrote:

Fair enough. He's going to succeed, probably. More and more collectors see the value of his products vs Hasbro's and decide Hasbro's really aren't worth it any more. A bubble is going to burst here, and quickly. I know I'm already getting more relieved when I see reveals from Hasbro that I don't want, because it means I don't have to spend the money. When I see a wave of figures I do want, I know I need to ready my wallet for a reaming. It's not sustainable.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:19 pm

christianpyro wrote:
I don't think he's breaking even or losing money.

He didn't say one way or the other in that interview so we really have no idea aside from educated guessing. What criteria are you using for your guess?
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Sorry if already posted by someone else, but Hasbro notified me this morning that my overpriced Nalan Cheel would be shipping shortly. Should be getting three overpriced Figrin Dans from DST by the end of the week, as well.

Very proud of myself for choosing to wait to buy the rest of the band when Figrin Dan inevitably gets heavily discounted. What a display of willpower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:41 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:19 pm
christianpyro wrote:
I don't think he's breaking even or losing money.

He didn't say one way or the other in that interview so we really have no idea aside from educated guessing. What criteria are you using for your guess?
Mostly just common sense... :wink:

Edit: I apologize. Let me expand with a less snarky response. This would be a silly thing to argue about.

I don't think he'd put in so much effort and release near as much every year with no profit. I think he's a cool guy, but maybe not that cool.

I do think he does not earn as much per sale as Hasbro does. I know some folks who buy direct from him for their stores and the cost to do so is less than most Hasbro Products. Which is why they can sell them for $20 and maintain a profit at their store. Also why BBTS does not have their common upcharge like they do with Marvel Legends (where they charge a couple bucks more than MSRP). I was told by one shop owner that they make more per sale on a McFarlane Toy than they do a Hasbro toy due to the lower direct cost form McFarlane (Hasbro has a lot of hoops to go through included a very high minimum purchase amount that makes most have to go through another party like EE).

If I had to guess, I'd say he's going for sales volume. Sell more at less profit, versus less at a higher profit. I tend to think it's working well enough, as I see a lot of re-stocks at local stores, and a lot of shelf space. The more shelf space a store allocates your product, the more product they are buying from you.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Target exclusive Andor shore trooper
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:28 pm

kltpzyxm
Super Poseable

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:41 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Odowan wrote:

Certainly a private company can make more risky bets than a publicly traded company. The fiduciary responsibilities are essentially just making payroll at the most basic for a private company.

Plus Todd has overspent how much on baseballs and other impulse buy that he collects that are essentially worthless now? He doesn't seem worried about his personal burn rate lol.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm

Another Target Shoretrooper? When most stores still can't give the Carbonized ones away? This is a joke, right? This can't possibly be real.
Grins
CROM!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:24 am

Odowan wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm
Another Target Shoretrooper? When most stores still can't give the Carbonized ones away? This is a joke, right? This can't possibly be real.
Someone, somewhere, at sometime will get to army build a buttload of shore troopers on the cheap when they go on clearance.
supermonkey
teh awsum

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Really glad I was able to get in on that 2019 Target pre-order for Galen and Antoc.
Because otherwise I would have had to walk into any frickin' Target in 2022 and pick from the 20 of each on the pegs.....
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm

But on the peg they sell for more money! :rolleyes:

I visited a bunch of Targets in different states this summer and I maybe saw one or two Carbonized Shoretroopers, I honestly glaze right over those, but there were none in the clearance sections - do some locations really have that many left?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:12 pm

Is Andor having any figures that aren't exclusives?

Also, Yakface reported a Hong Kong retailer has that Concept Series Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader Set, and they're hoping shopdisney has it in the next month.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”