Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:31 am

kojigritton wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 pm
Dorkside has the Endor Luke in their “New Arrivals” section for $49.99. Hoping that’s a typo…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed that as well. Not like them to scalp.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:56 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 pm
May just be that retailer. Dorkside posted last time this popped up they haven't heard anything about it from Hasbro yet. But if it does happen everywhere I'm sure he'll be rereleased later as a deluxe or in new packaging. But it may be a while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I do notice that Dorkside has put the product page back up (it had been gone for months after the preorders sold out,) and now has an expected date of July. At this point who knows? I figure if it comes, it comes.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:32 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm
It’s not just the Empire. You can count on one hand the amount of aliens in the Rebellion. That was always one of my… peeves with Star Wars. There were all these neat looking aliens constantly being shown in the background, but never being used as main characters, rarely seen in the Rebellion, barely present as Imperial officers (Thrawn the sole exception), and hardly ever seen again. They are so keen on creating the next ‘big’ alien design that they don’t reuse the established races. For instance, is there any real reason why Moroff couldn’t have been a Wookie? Or why Weeteef couldn’t have been an Ugnaut? Instead they create another new species who will thrown on the pile to (probably) never be used again. These races are barely developed and we learn nothing of their cultures. Both Mandolorian and BoBF have worked on fixing that, and the movies (should they make more), could learn from that.
I know what you mean. Outside of budgetary reasons, Star Wars has always been a bit weird with its use of aliens. Instead of having a "core group" of the most common aliens like say, Star Trek does, they keep trying to reinvent the wheel and I suspect part of it is an attempt to make the Star Wars galaxy seem bigger somehow, even when most of us would be happy (at least, I think so) if they just gave us more Wookies and Twi'leks.
MickJohnson wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:24 am
The main factor in this is that the production budget for the first SW films was very low and so they would not be able to afford the cost of making numerous costumes to dress extras up as aliens. Boba Fett came about because they couldn't afford multiple costumes to fit out their planned army of elite stormtroopers, and re-wrote the script to fit that character in as a random addition! A lot of costumes were re-used in ESB from ANH too, notably the suit that Bossk is wearing I believe was first seen in the cantina, and even the head for the IG-88 prop was part of the cantina bar.

The Ewoks are an exception because the budget may have increased quite a lot, but even then I suspect that keen observers will spot the same Ewok dying in different scenes because they could get away with sneakily reusing Ewoks during shooting.

In-universe, retcons in old legends canon depicts the Empire as being xenophobic, sexist and racist, which is why all the Imperial officers you see are white male humans, and alien species were used as slaves by the Empire, most notably Chewbacca and the Wookies. The Empire viewed humans as the superior species in the galaxy and oppressed other species in order to maintain control and strip them of their resources. Sounds somewhat familiar...

In current canon the First Order has softened on being so racist and sexist, so now we see coloured and female members in the FO, from Stormtroopers up to officer level, although they are all still human. As for the Rebel Alliance again film production concerns would lead to most of them being humans too, but by the time of RotJ we see Sullustians and Mon Calamari fighting as part of the Rebels. I guess an explanation for this could be that early Rebel leaders came from human-populated planets such as Chandrilla and Alderaan and they didn't form relationships with other species until later, when the Alliance gained more momentum.
It doesn't help the budget either when Star Wars aliens need more make-up than simply slapping some lumps on a person's forehead. Look at how bad the Trandoshans look in the Boba Fett series, for example.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:22 pm

Just watched Robo's review of the new Archive Wave... why oh why did they not use the Commander Kenobi head on the archive one?
joshsquash729
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:29 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Just watched Robo's review of the new Archive Wave... why oh why did they not use the Commander Kenobi head on the archive one?
I've been wondering that ever since I got it too. They could have used the Commander Obi or even the Clone Wars Obi (would have looked a little young, but I'd take that over this head any day) and the figure would have been MUCH better for it. And of course both of those are pretty hard to find/expensive figs, so it's not like I can easily get another and swap the head. Oh, Hasbro, always finding a way to give fans what they want, but mess something up and sour the experience in the process. I just don't get how they work sometimes. I can't imagine they'd have gotten in THAT much, if any, trouble, if they'd just used the head from a past exclusive. I doubt it would have soured any professional relationship with Wal-Mart or Walgreens.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
I've been wondering that ever since I got it too. They could have used the Commander Obi or even the Clone Wars Obi (would have looked a little young, but I'd take that over this head any day) and the figure would have been MUCH better for it. And of course both of those are pretty hard to find/expensive figs, so it's not like I can easily get another and swap the head. Oh, Hasbro, always finding a way to give fans what they want, but mess something up and sour the experience in the process. I just don't get how they work sometimes. I can't imagine they'd have gotten in THAT much, if any, trouble, if they'd just used the head from a past exclusive. I doubt it would have soured any professional relationship with Wal-Mart or Walgreens.
I never got the chance to get the Clone Commander version, so I was hoping I'd finally get a decent ROTS, or at least post-mullet Kenobi of that quality. The new head is better than the original one, sure, but I'm still disappointed.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:45 pm

pr1983 wrote:Just watched Robo's review of the new Archive Wave... why oh why did they not use the Commander Kenobi head on the archive one?
Probably because they’d have had to retool something in order for it to work. Either the neck peg or the entire head. They don’t transfer easily on their own unfortunately.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pm

thefamousnicknaro wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:45 pm
pr1983 wrote:Just watched Robo's review of the new Archive Wave... why oh why did they not use the Commander Kenobi head on the archive one?
Probably because they’d have had to retool something in order for it to work. Either the neck peg or the entire head. They don’t transfer easily on their own unfortunately.
Is it really cheaper to just mould a new head, though? I don't know either way, I'm just curious. Or is this new head somehow the old one but with better sculpting/printing?
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:11 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
Personally, I would be perfectly ok with them souring their relationship with Walgreens and Walmart.

I never find regularly released items there anyway, and as a collector, there’s nothing I dread more than “Walgreens/Walmart exclusive”. lol
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 pm

Why buy a figure that old though? Even if it had a new head it still really outdated. There is probably a new one coming out next year given that Kenobi comes out this year.
CO_Alex
CROM!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 pm

Reefer Shark wrote:
joshsquash729 wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
Personally, I would be perfectly ok with them souring their relationship with Walgreens and Walmart.

I never find regularly released items there anyway, and as a collector, there’s nothing I dread more than “Walgreens/Walmart exclusive”. lol
I would add Target to the list of dreaded exclusive retailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 pm

oh absolutely! The only reason I left them out is becuase every great once in a while, I actually find a regular figure or two on the shelf. I absolutely despise thier ridiculous pre-order system with the frustrating pre-auths and cancellations.

But I will say I do usually luck out on their exclusives in the stores eventually somehow - I know that's not everyones experience though.
Bart
Here comes a new challenger!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:46 am

I got a couple 501st Troopers in to add to the Clone Wars shelf. Just waiting on that Captain Rex re-release. Anyone have any updates on that? I thought it was supposed to release at the end of 2021?
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am

My Rogue One Jyn Erso figure got charged to my card from Hasbro Pulse quite a bit ago. But it has still yet to ship out. Anyone else have that happen?

Jyn has been In Stock on Pulse as well for like a week or so.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:13 am

Super Camel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 am
My Rogue One Jyn Erso figure got charged to my card from Hasbro Pulse quite a bit ago. But it has still yet to ship out. Anyone else have that happen?

Jyn has been In Stock on Pulse as well for like a week or so.
I don't know when my Jyn got charged, but I just got notice that she "left the building" so that's cool.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”