Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 am

I have no idea if this is feasible,but hear me out- rekajigger the Rancor to be more of a rotocast,limited articulation figure. Cut back on the paint apps. Include Bobas throne or an exclusive character yet to be revealed. Get a retail partner on board to sell it as an exclusive at a lower price. Would you guys buy this for $200 as a Wal-Mart or Target exclusive?
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:59 am

I actually *want* a full-tilt Rancor with all the bells and whistles; I’d be far less excited about a limited-articulation rotocast. I definitely hope the HasLab version gets revamped/revisited.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:35 am

Guys the Rancor dream is dead. Fans didn’t get enough support…I’m not dredging that up.

Hunt the secondary market if you want a juvenile scale one for BS. Should be increasing in price as we speak…

Filoni may be pulling in another of his animated characters to life action. One can hope.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rishi_Eel
Customized

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:39 am

g3rman1a wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm
The only good thing about the GG exclusives being priced how they are is that they sell so poorly, so they are often on sale/clearance. Still not as ideal as just being properly priced in the first place...
I wouldn't be surprised if this is somewhat of intentional on Gamestop's part. Since other retailers are able to support these figures at $19.99, that extra five dollars is presumably pure profit. And then, whenever they do go on sale, it's really only to the actual retail price of the figures to begin with, but people buy them up because it seems like a good deal.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:57 am

I just watched that Bad Batch episode with the baby Rancor. Good lord, do we need to learn every SW character's origins? Such a small universe. And the head looks more like a baby Gamorrean Guard than a Rancor.

I think the Haslab Rancor has a good shot at resurfacing if the Book of Fett rumors hold true. Exposure on that show will certainly creature more interest in the Rancor project. Unless Fett will be carrying around a Baby Rancor throughout his show.
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:38 am

Rishi_Eel wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:39 am
g3rman1a wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm
The only good thing about the GG exclusives being priced how they are is that they sell so poorly, so they are often on sale/clearance. Still not as ideal as just being properly priced in the first place...
I wouldn't be surprised if this is somewhat of intentional on Gamestop's part. Since other retailers are able to support these figures at $19.99, that extra five dollars is presumably pure profit. And then, whenever they do go on sale, it's really only to the actual retail price of the figures to begin with, but people buy them up because it seems like a good deal.
They may very well sell at a higher margin (they almost assuredly do - they need much higher margins to operate), but they also definitely have a higher purchase cost.
Mahtion
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:58 am

Prophet924 wrote:Guys the Rancor dream is dead. Fans didn’t get enough support…I’m not dredging that up.

Hunt the secondary market if you want a juvenile scale one for BS. Should be increasing in price as we speak…

Filoni may be pulling in another of his animated characters to life action. One can hope.

Thwipp!

Thanks I already have one, got it back when Disguise Lando came out to display with Jabba too.

MickJohnson
Super Poseable

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 am

Ash Talon wrote:
I just watched that Bad Batch episode with the baby Rancor. Good lord, do we need to learn every SW character's origins? Such a small universe. And the head looks more like a baby Gamorrean Guard than a Rancor.
That baby rancor's name was Moochie, while the one in Return of the Jedi was Pateesa. They are two different rancors.

But yes, the 'small universe' effect is definitely in full-swing over at Lucasfilm.

I think they should make a film based on Dark Forces, or at least remake the game, with story details adjusted to fit with new canon. Make it campy as hell with the aesthetics of Total Recall. That would be killer.
Scissors
Faster than a speeding bullet

Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:23 am

Longbowhunter wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 am
I have no idea if this is feasible,but hear me out- rekajigger the Rancor to be more of a rotocast,limited articulation figure. Cut back on the paint apps. Include Bobas throne or an exclusive character yet to be revealed. Get a retail partner on board to sell it as an exclusive at a lower price. Would you guys buy this for $200 as a Wal-Mart or Target exclusive?
Nope! If Mattel can make gigantic creature figures with limited articulation and simple paint apps (i.e. Jurassic World Colossal Dinos) that retail for $50-$70, Hasbro can certainly do similar with the Rancor at the same price point. There is no way a "toy grade" (as opposed to "collector grade")creature figure is worth over $100.
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:02 am

MickJohnson wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 am
Ash Talon wrote:
That baby rancor's name was Moochie, while the one in Return of the Jedi was Pateesa. They are two different rancors.

But yes, the 'small universe' effect is definitely in full-swing over at Lucasfilm.

I think they should make a film based on Dark Forces, or at least remake the game, with story details adjusted to fit with new canon. Make it campy as hell with the aesthetics of Total Recall. That would be killer.
This is why they need an actual fan running Lucasfilm. Someone familiar with the deep lore of the EU. This idea would be easy money!

Do an entire show about Kyle Katarn's origin as a storm trooper and his mutiny and joining the Rebellion.

Then for the second act, replace stealing the original Death Star plans with the plans to some other generic doomsday device. You could include the Dark Trooper prototypes and cameo a younger low rank Moff Gideon working for General Mohc.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 am

I wouldn't buy a hollowed out Rancor for even $20. I have no need for any Rancor toys at this point in my life, or ever, most likely. That ship sailed a long time ago.

I'd like a little throne for Boba to sit on, but I'm sure someone's already cast a perfectly cromulent custom if I really wanted it. Customs can get just as expensive, or more, than Hasbro's price creep.

It's too bad Fennec didn't come with the bottle of Windex, cause that's another accessory we'd have to buy from someone off etsy for $25 plus shipping. No thanks.

Now that Fennec and Throne Boba have been revealed though, maybe there's a convention exclusive with the two of them and a throne planned for next year. I don't know if the Hasbro figure will be able to actually sit down though.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Darth_Drakonis wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:02 am
This is why they need an actual fan running Lucasfilm. Someone familiar with the deep lore of the EU.

Their current leadership setup is VERY similar to the one Marvel films had prior to 2007. Back then Marvel was led by Avi Arad, and Kevin Feige was his comic expert. Since Lucas sold Star Wars Kathleen Kennedy has been the Avi Arad, and Pablo Hidalgo is her Kevin Feige. However, Avi Arad would let directors mostly do what they wanted, but he would put his own two cents in that very often ruined films. Just as often he let directors ruin films because he didn't know how to tell when they were doing it. His greatest achievement was hiring Sam Raimi, and his greatest failure was driving him and the entire cast off by dictating the content for Spider-Man 3 that ruined the film. Kennedy does the same thing in sometimes listening to Hidalgo, sometimes not, and sometimes letting directors do whatever they want.

Kathleen Kennedy is an HISTORIC producer, but she has NO business making any kind of creative decisions, and the last five years has proven repeatedly she should just stay out of any content decisions. She did wonderfully as a producer when Steve Spielberg was making all of the creative decisions, and she can stay in charge as long as she realizes that she's not a good editor of serial fiction and lets either Pablo Hidalgo or Dave FIloni manage all of the content to keep it consistent. But I can't tell that she does understand that yet. I know she, Bob Iger, and Kevin Feige came to some kind of altered understanding of her role after Solo bombed and they cancelled a bunch of films she green-lit, but I've never been clear on what her altered role is, or if it's even still altered now that Bob Iger is gone.

I'm still aghast that Kennedy let Abrams come up with ideas that she then let Rian Johnson ret-con and then let Abrams ret-con again...I pray pray PRAY she's completely out of the creative stuff now. :shock:
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:53 pm

What does any of that have to do with action figures? Let’s stay on topic, shall we?

I’ve been at Disney World all week and every even vaguely Star Wars themed shop is drowning in Wreckers, Landos, Techs, Aurra Sings, Q9-0s and even a few Bo-Katans and a rare Koska Reeves.

I already got that full wave piecemeal over the months. Would’ve been nice to get them all now with the 20% passholder discount. :lol:

The last time I was here, they had the Archives Leia, but I didn’t want her. I was hoping I’d see some of the new wave 31 figures, but no luck yet. March is gonna be such a long wait, if it even is March.
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:41 pm

I'm still debating whether to get the new Throne Room Boba Fett. I feel like they missed the mark not having a soft goods skirt and the coloring looks off. Also get that feeling that we will get another Boba Fett that then fixes all the things wrong with this version.
MarvelLegendsMan
Avengers Assemble

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:28 pm

madflava wrote:I'm still debating whether to get the new Throne Room Boba Fett. I feel like they missed the mark not having a soft goods skirt and the coloring looks off. Also get that feeling that we will get another Boba Fett that then fixes all the things wrong with this version.
I agree. I think the figure looks terrible, frankly. The color looks way off.

I'm not getting it, and this new trend of "deluxe figures" is absolutely insulting. They are putting a 40% markup on a regular figure! This is insane! At least the Marvel Legends 40th anniversary figures have some crappy extra accessories. This doesn't even have the ROTJ Boba flame effect.

Isn't there a balance somewhere between short term cash grabs and fostering long term brand loyalty? Do they really think this is going to engender positive feelings toward the company or the product? Did they learn nothing from the failure of the Rancor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”