Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
g3rman1a
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm

The only good thing about the GG exclusives being priced how they are is that they sell so poorly, so they are often on sale/clearance. Still not as ideal as just being properly priced in the first place...
VonDoom62
CROM!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Nothing wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:40 pm
I don't mean to sound negative but the market is actually rejecting the $24.99+ pricing on these less than desirable exclusives.

I go into a few different Gamestops most weeks in order to check on collectables and no one is buying these Gaming Greats and alt colorways. Brand new figures are taking up valuable real estate for months at a time before the store can clear them out. The boxes are beat up. Similarly positioned figures in the past such as Darth Revan couldn't even make it to the shelf before someone snatched him up. Darth Nihilus never even made it to stores I don't get it.
I think it's a combination of that and Darth Nihilus and Darth Revan being two important and iconic characters from highly beloved video games, whereas most other Gaming Greats figures are variants people don't have much demand for or cheap army builder repaints. Despite the recent Target Clone Wars exclusives being more expensive at $26.49, they sold pretty well.

I bet if Hasbro made a Starkiller or Darth Malak, they'd be hot sellers even with the $24.99 pricetag. Of course, both of those would require entirely new sculpts and I don't think we've gotten that from Gaming Greats yet.
TheLoneToyman
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:12 pm

docsilence wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 pm
Proof time has no meaning since the start of the pandemic:
Went to order the new Boba, saw he had a shipping date of 12/1/22, thought it was 12/1/21, FORGOT WHAT YEAR IT WAS, got very happy that "oh that's soon!" Placed my order, and... did the math and returned to reality.

I miss having an appropriate sense of the passage of time.
(Edit: DS has him listed for June '22. Given Pulse's track record, swapping the PO...)
I did the same thing. Don't feel bad.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:13 pm

Yeah, I don't worry about finding Gaming Greats very often, but Starkiller or Malak I'd be a little stressed about preordering. There's some specific characters who are beloved enough from gaming franchises I bet they'd sell really well, but not all of them.

Now I wonder if we'd ever see someone like Kyle Katarn, who made the jump from games to the Expanded (Legends) Universe given that they do seem open to sporadically releasing folks from KOTOR etc. Tangentially, makes me realize I'd love a Corran Horn figure even though I know that's just never a gonna happen. One of the few EU characters I have a real soft spot for.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:32 pm
Is that what the POTF2 cards are going for? I know the one in the regular wave isn't exactly the same figure at least.
I thought the Yavin Leia figure was exactly the same, no?
(So just a retro blister pack tax)
Looks very much like they are from what I've seen, unless I've overlooked some small detail?
(Not being snarky or contrary- it's just really useful to know for anybody that doesn't want to pay an extra fiver for a box they'll rip open.)
Poe Ghostal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm

docsilence wrote:
Now I wonder if we'd ever see someone like Kyle Katarn, who made the jump from games to the Expanded (Legends) Universe given that they do seem open to sporadically releasing folks from KOTOR etc.
Kyle Katarn is probably my most-wanted character for Black Series (followed by a Dark Trooper - Mando or Dark Forces version - and Valance from the comics). And I think they could construct him from existing molds, like Jaina Solo.

Hell, Kanan Jarrus's design is practically Kyle's, right down to the right-side pauldron.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:04 pm

PSPS13 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:
Is that what the POTF2 cards are going for? I know the one in the regular wave isn't exactly the same figure at least.
Looks very much like they are from what I've seen, unless I've overlooked some small detail?
(Not being snarky or contrary- it's just really useful to know for anybody that doesn't want to pay an extra fiver for a box they'll rip open.)
You're probably right, I haven't been paying THAT much attention to either version. I had thought the regular one was all plastic though and the POTF one has some fabric, but I may be wrong with that.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm
docsilence wrote:
Now I wonder if we'd ever see someone like Kyle Katarn, who made the jump from games to the Expanded (Legends) Universe given that they do seem open to sporadically releasing folks from KOTOR etc.
Kyle Katarn is probably my most-wanted character for Black Series (followed by a Dark Trooper - Mando or Dark Forces version - and Valance from the comics). And I think they could construct him from existing molds, like Jaina Solo.

Hell, Kanan Jarrus's design is practically Kyle's, right down to the right-side pauldron.
Y'know... I fully acknowledge I'm an easy mark when it comes to figures and I'm not picky, but I would absolutely buy a Kyle Katarn figure who was just popping a new head on Kanan's buck and I wouldn't even complain about it one bit.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:04 pm
PSPS13 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:
You're probably right, I haven't been paying THAT much attention to either version. I had thought the regular one was all plastic though and the POTF one has some fabric, but I may be wrong with that.
Ah, righto- it's not like your assumption'd be unreasonable, mind- it'd be completely, completely logical to assume there must be some difference when one is retailing at around £19 and the other £27 plus postage, but... Not how it works here anymore lol
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:48 pm

Heh right. And even more so when they're put up for order at the same time! At least with Jar Jar they had the sense to sell the expensive one a bit before the cheaper one.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 pm

New BoBF trailer released today has three strong hints of the Rancor reappearing. Maybe they’ll be able to salvage the Rancor project next year by offering a combo BoBF and RotJ one? That could mix things up just enough and maybe offer more creative tier options?
Mahtion
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 pm

Hasbro really botched (perhaps rushed is better term) the Rancor as we know. They should definitely have tied into BoBF and rode on the hype train. It’s going to be very frustrating not having a rancor if it’s a great scene in BoBF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poe Ghostal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:50 pm

Mahtion wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 pm
Hasbro really botched (perhaps rushed is better term) the Rancor as we know. They should definitely have tied into BoBF and rode on the hype train. It’s going to be very frustrating not having a rancor if it’s a great scene in BoBF.
I'm willing to bet Hasbro didn't (don't?) know about the scene. It seems clear Lucasfilm is obsessively secretive about these shows.

Baby Yoda I get; that was a really big, wonderful surprise - the birth of an iconic character - and it was arguably worth it. And maybe the season 2 finale, too.

But there's no reason Lucasfilm couldn't have given Hasbro the designs for, say, Cobb Vanth and even Throne Fett ahead of time so they could have the figures ready sooner than a year-and-half after the episodes air.
Mahtion
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:06 am

Definitely, the secrecy gets to be counter productive at times. I don’t envy Lego, Hasbro etc dealing with these delayed time tables from reveal, production and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:12 am

PotF2 Yavin Ceremony Leia inbound. Processing 12/16

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”