Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Prices on everything have gone up. Inflation across the board. I’ll grab this Boba, but probably un-preorder Tython Boba. I’ve also got the Figuarts Boba preordered since I’ve got both a Black Series and Figuarts display collection.
VonDoom62
CROM!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:11 pm

Just realizing, why doesn't this new Boba come with a flame effect? They could just use the same one that came with the RotJ Fett. The gauntlet looks similar enough, if not exactly the same, so it should still work with it. I still don't think that'd be enough to justify the price, but at least it'd at least be SOMETHING extra to throw in.
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:16 pm

Price increases over the last couple of years have nothing to do with normal inflation. There have been huge increases in the cost of raw materials, labour, and freight.

Companies basically have 2 options: raise prices, or cut features on the product. Personally, I'd rather pay a little bit more to keep the figures at a higher quality, and make some decisions about what I buy.

I agree that they shouldn't try to slot a 'non-deluxe' figure into a deluxe price point, but at the same time if a figure costs more to produce, then I'd rather them charge more than not make it or make it in a way that doesn't do it service.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Peter Hoffman wrote:
Price increases over the last couple of years have nothing to do with normal inflation. There have been huge increases in the cost of raw materials, labour, and freight.

Companies basically have 2 options: raise prices, or cut features on the product. Personally, I'd rather pay a little bit more to keep the figures at a higher quality, and make some decisions about what I buy.

I agree that they shouldn't try to slot a 'non-deluxe' figure into a deluxe price point, but at the same time if a figure costs more to produce, then I'd rather them charge more than not make it or make it in a way that doesn't do it service.
But not one bit of that matters if the consumer market decides that the product they're offering is not worth the price. Many collectors are cutting back because of the massive price hikes. It's up to Hasbro to remain competitive, and all they're doing is alienating once loyal fans.
Nothing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Odowan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 pm
Hasbro's rationale for deluxe these days is basically just because they feel like it. And we saps will pay for it.
"Is it cool? Do people want it?

Deluxe then. detach one of plastic accessories and widen the box, Henderson."
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 pm

On one hand, awesome! I've been waiting for this for nearly a year!

On the other hand, of course I'm not surprised but still annoyed by the deluxe thing. I thought Cobb and the ROTJ Boba were because of the complex paint jobs, but this guy is NOT complex.

Weapons look great, a lot to like... I would STILL love a solid helmet that doesn't conform to the shape of his face though. And the jetpack looks like it's missing the repair patch.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm

My biggest concern is not cost here. Can the figure sit on a throne. I want it to sit, pose as if flying and beating up/killing imperials/whatnot. Im concerned if the face sculpt is as awesome as the Fennec figure. It looks pretty sweet! The black added to his design really makes the colors pop. It also gives the figure an update. Thus isn’t about the previous adventures of Fett. You know, standing there, Arguing over the price going down on his prize if Vader messes up Han, more standing there, falling in Sarlac pit. Fett is much cooler to me now. I want this fig quite a bit.

Price is price. Buy it or don’t. Is the message board going just become a place where we all gripe about the price then scramble to preorder? Gripe about it taking so long to deliver?

Sigh… I know the answer is yes. What a monotonous hell!

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Odowan wrote:
Peter Hoffman wrote:

But not one bit of that matters if the consumer market decides that the product they're offering is not worth the price. Many collectors are cutting back because of the massive price hikes. It's up to Hasbro to remain competitive, and all they're doing is alienating once loyal fans.
Absolutely, the market will dictate what can sell and at what price point. But on the other side of the equation, toy companies have to balance profitability. If they can't maintain that, the result will be the same.

It's a delicate balancing act, but the only constant is that prices will increase over time. Remember when Marvel Legends cost $7.99?
Nothing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Can we talk about how we spent more than half of 2021 with only Greef Karga, Kuiil, and Lando appearing on the pegs? And a few sporadic appearances by Moff Gideon.

Gamestop is the only store I've seen with the occasional new and different fig. But it's weird stuff that no one wants like 'Gaming Greats' and clone trooper variants.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Peter Hoffman wrote:
Odowan wrote:
Peter Hoffman wrote:

Absolutely, the market will dictate what can sell and at what price point. But on the other side of the equation, toy companies have to balance profitability. If they can't maintain that, the result will be the same.

It's a delicate balancing act, but the only constant is that prices will increase over time. Remember when Marvel Legends cost $7.99?
You're not wrong, but the issue is, especially in the US, that wages have not kept pace with inflation by a long shot. The response from many collectors to rising prices is to buy fewer collectibles. We love them, but they're a luxury for sure. Prices rise, yes, but there's a point where they're just too much. I think we're reaching that point.

And forgive me if I'm less than sympathetic to the plight of a mega corporation like Hasbro. Somehow I doubt they're operating on razor thin profit margins.
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Odowan wrote:
Peter Hoffman wrote:
Odowan wrote:

You're not wrong, but the issue is, especially in the US, that wages have not kept pace with inflation by a long shot. The response from many collectors to rising prices is to buy fewer collectibles. We love them, but they're a luxury for sure. Prices rise, yes, but there's a point where they're just too much. I think we're reaching that point.

And forgive me if I'm less than sympathetic to the plight of a mega corporation like Hasbro. Somehow I doubt they're operating on razor thin profit margins.
Oh definitely not, and I'm not suggesting there should be sympathy. I'm really just trying to reflect the reality of their business. They will have an acceptable profit margin threshold, and if they can't stay above that stuff will start getting cut.

I totally agree that people will start to be priced out of things, and that it is starting to happen. Like I said, people will need to start making choices, but I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:16 pm

True but Black Series isn’t your only outlet to purchase goods for Star Wars.

You want a less expensive option buy Mission Fleet buy TVC. Hell Hasbro I’m the last few years has thrown out fun less expensive options. Yes they do not have all the same options as Black Series but that’s the cost.

If all we have to comment about the product is damn that’s expensive. It’s empty meaningless talk. Cut back. Enjoy what you do purchase. Buy other pieces.

Hasbro owes us nothing.

All this they may be pricing is out of buying their product warnings are empty. Beware Hasbro! They make toys. They will continue to do so even if us adults stop buying them.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
g3rman1a
Super Poseable

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 pm

Prophet924 wrote:

Hasbro owes us nothing
And we owe Hasbro nothing as well.

Seriously, if we just accept any slop that Hasbro decides to put out, the quality will continue to decline. Maybe you don't care about that, but some us do. do.
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:24 pm

g3rman1a wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 pm
Prophet924 wrote:

Hasbro owes us nothing
And we owe Hasbro nothing as well.

Seriously, if we just accept any slop that Hasbro decides to put out, the quality will continue to decline. Maybe you don't care about that, but some us do. do.
I think that's his point. Nobody owes anybody anything. Buy what you like and what you feel is worth the cost. That's all it is...choices.
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:38 pm

Odowan wrote:
Peter Hoffman wrote:
Odowan wrote:

https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2018 ... -license/

Hasbro is paying hundreds of millions for the SW license alone. Add to that a Royalty rate of 20% for every figure sold to Disney/Lucasfilm. Lastly throw in the rising cost of goods after COVID..... so yeah Hasbro is really squeezing to make any money with this line.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”