Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
User avatar
The_Kilted_Fett
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:43 pm

I was busy at work until 8:12 CDT, got 2 TBS Bobas, but the TVC was sold out already. Stupid adulting...
User avatar
The_Kilted_Fett
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:45 pm

GrumpyMatt wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm
TENIME_art wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:09 pm
Snagged both Bobas, and even an extra for a buddy who works nights & is still asleep.
I ordered an extra 6-inch Boba to open and noticed Target canceled it when I checked my orders.

Curious if you had any luck with your second Boba.
I ordered two, one for me, one for my son (one order). No cancellation as of yet.
User avatar
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3139
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 am

I skipped Lando cause the promo shots made the figure look awful. I'm sure I'll be able to see it in person since, let's face it, its Lando, he doesn't exactly move. And if I like what I see, I may just grab him.

I wonder what it is about Lando that makes him sit. Hes a great character, by a wonderful actor. Maybe hes just not as toyetic? Same reason Finn didn't really move? Course Finn's character was kinda meh, played by a good actor. And then not being toyetic on top of that... But really, if you think about it, alot of SW figures aren't toyetic. Most of the OT cast is just people in clothes. It really does make me wonder. I don't wanna pull the race card here, but both Finn and Lando are not caucasian by any means. Maybe people are just racist. Grief could be another example. Great character by a great actor. Hes all I see anywhere.
I’ll step into the hornets’ nest here. I don’t think it’s so much a racial issue (although it may be for select people), but more on how Lando was used during the OT. He was first introduced as an ancillary “Han lite” character. Yes, his role evolved beyond that, but then he went on to betray the main heroes, which doesn’t always sit well with people. Again, he redeemed himself, but that stigma was still attached to him. The screen time for General Lando, was also comparatively smaller to his presence in other looks.
Then, you take into account the lesser quality of his first figure, which makes some buyers wary of getting stuck with “another inferior figure”, particularly considering the poor promo shots. I think that made up several collectors minds before they even saw the figure first hand. (Many people now buy online (COVID, and all.). So they don’t see the figure first hand for a while).
Greef, similarly,was an ancillary character, who like Lando’s role, wasn’t as crucial to the events. Fans were chasing the Mandolorian after all. Keep in mind Moff Gideon sold better, but then he was a major bad guy for the Mandolorian series.
As for Finn’s first figure.. we’ll he had the misfortune of being one of the first sequel figures made. There was some backlash against the sequels by long term fans, and I think the figure suffered for it. The look they chose, for his first figure, was also not a look he sported long in the film. Finn’s later figures sold better (at least in my area), but that first figure of his was around for a long time.
This all being said, I liked the characters of Lando and Greef. Lando in particular, was underutilized. If a better part was written for him, he would’ve sold better. I was lukewarm on Finn, but that was true of how I viewed pretty much all the sequel characters.
User avatar
rwsharpjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: New York
Posts: 3254
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:51 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm

The_Kilted_Fett wrote:
GrumpyMatt wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm
TENIME_art wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:09 pm
Snagged both Bobas, and even an extra for a buddy who works nights & is still asleep.
I ordered an extra 6-inch Boba to open and noticed Target canceled it when I checked my orders.

Curious if you had any luck with your second Boba.
I ordered two, one for me, one for my son (one order). No cancellation as of yet.
Each item was limited to 2 per order, but if you only ordered one, you couldn't place a second order, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

User avatar
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 4147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:36 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:07 pm

GrumpyMatt wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm
TENIME_art wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:09 pm
Snagged both Bobas, and even an extra for a buddy who works nights & is still asleep.
I ordered an extra 6-inch Boba to open and noticed Target canceled it when I checked my orders.

Curious if you had any luck with your second Boba.
UGH. LAME. I'm sorry. There's still two on there for now. I hope they don't cancel anything, because only one big & one small are for me. I'm not reselling the other 6", I was just trying to help a friend.

NORM wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:17 pm
Just got the 6" Droids Fett. Was easy peasy, but I hope they fulfill the preorder and don't cancel. Not out of the woods yet.
This. I'm VERY worried. Do we know when they're supposed to hit?
User avatar
eazyse7en
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:31 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:32 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:53 pm
Trunks3540 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 am

I skipped Lando cause the promo shots made the figure look awful. I'm sure I'll be able to see it in person since, let's face it, its Lando, he doesn't exactly move. And if I like what I see, I may just grab him.

I wonder what it is about Lando that makes him sit. Hes a great character, by a wonderful actor. Maybe hes just not as toyetic? Same reason Finn didn't really move? Course Finn's character was kinda meh, played by a good actor. And then not being toyetic on top of that... But really, if you think about it, alot of SW figures aren't toyetic. Most of the OT cast is just people in clothes. It really does make me wonder. I don't wanna pull the race card here, but both Finn and Lando are not caucasian by any means. Maybe people are just racist. Grief could be another example. Great character by a great actor. Hes all I see anywhere.
I’ll step into the hornets’ nest here. I don’t think it’s so much a racial issue (although it may be for select people), but more on how Lando was used during the OT. He was first introduced as an ancillary “Han lite” character. Yes, his role evolved beyond that, but then he went on to betray the main heroes, which doesn’t always sit well with people. Again, he redeemed himself, but that stigma was still attached to him. The screen time for General Lando, was also comparatively smaller to his presence in other looks.
Then, you take into account the lesser quality of his first figure, which makes some buyers wary of getting stuck with “another inferior figure”, particularly considering the poor promo shots. I think that made up several collectors minds before they even saw the figure first hand. (Many people now buy online (COVID, and all.). So they don’t see the figure first hand for a while).
Greef, similarly,was an ancillary character, who like Lando’s role, wasn’t as crucial to the events. Fans were chasing the Mandolorian after all. Keep in mind Moff Gideon sold better, but then he was a major bad guy for the Mandolorian series.
As for Finn’s first figure.. we’ll he had the misfortune of being one of the first sequel figures made. There was some backlash against the sequels by long term fans, and I think the figure suffered for it. The look they chose, for his first figure, was also not a look he sported long in the film. Finn’s later figures sold better (at least in my area), but that first figure of his was around for a long time.
This all being said, I liked the characters of Lando and Greef. Lando in particular, was underutilized. If a better part was written for him, he would’ve sold better. I was lukewarm on Finn, but that was true of how I viewed pretty much all the sequel characters.
I don't know if I can agree that it's the quality of the character that makes figures of people of color not sell when the robot and jawa figures sell no problem. Even probably the most significant black character, Mace Windu, sold less than the figure of the ewok that wasn't the ewok that anyone wanted.
Benedict
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 pm

“Not Caucasian by any means” is a phrase I’ve never seen before.

Anyway. Would’ve jumped on the repainted Boba if it was on the new ROTJ body, but reusing their very first figure mould from 8 years ago seems very lazy.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3541
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Benedict wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 pm
“Not Caucasian by any means” is a phrase I’ve never seen before.

Anyway. Would’ve jumped on the repainted Boba if it was on the new ROTJ body, but reusing their very first figure mould from 8 years ago seems very lazy.
I get this sentiment, and clearly it's shared by many, but for me the helmet is the main part of the character, and that head is still so much better than the deluxe figure's. My Boba's stand on the shelf holding their rifle like on the Executor so I'm not as hung up on articulation as some of you guys. I admit I still haven't done anything to fix the ROTJ helmet though, despite it being such an eyesore every time I look at it. Just didn't live up to the promo pics they put out initially. Right now he's kinda lurking behind Jabba, so that's $30 well spent. Also the rifle seems too small. Or maybe the lifesize one I have is too big, heh.

Either way, I'm still not looking forward to the version from the last two episodes of The Mandalorian as much as I wish I was. The pants and sash probably aren't the big of a problem to do in plastic at that scale but I don't have a ton of confidence with the helmet. I would love if they just did a regular, full helmet head that you can pop off for a Temuera head and leave it at that.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: The Valley, SoCal
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:33 pm

If they use this as an opportunity to do much more flexible plastic for the belt/pouches, the wave one Black Series Fett body would be import significantly. Hopefully they’ve done that for this release, because the “Holiday Special” Fett is incredibly high on my list of must-haves.
User avatar
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Benedict wrote:“Not Caucasian by any means” is a phrase I’ve never seen before.

Anyway. Would’ve jumped on the repainted Boba if it was on the new ROTJ body, but reusing their very first figure mould from 8 years ago seems very lazy.
Just trying not to offend. Some people even get offended at the terms "of color" and "black" nowadays.

I don't know how Mace Windu didn't sell. I saw 1 in store, at gamestop, and promptly bought him. If ANY of them would've sold well, I would've thought it'd be him. Sam Jackson is extremely popular. And the head they did for his figure is pretty fricken great.

I can see the points on Finn. I bought the first one cause I wanted the whole cast, and the Stormtrooper one because I could use him as a Stormtrooper with a different build or as Finn if I wanted, double purpose. And I never regretted either one. But I must admit his first figure was bland. But again, most Star Wars main chatacters are just people in normal clothes. Not everyone sports awesome armor or cool alien looks. I think if he would've come with Luke's lightsaber he would've sold a little better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3541
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Ugh, that's a fantastic idea about Finn coming with the lightsaber. Now I'm really annoyed he didn't!

I had the Stormtrooper Finn because I found that to be more interesting than the regular one, and still felt that way when they did his TLJ figure. Then TROS came out and I ended up selling off all my ST figures anyway. I've never ever seen a Mace Windu on any peg and can't recall if I've ever seen a BDW. I remember seeing Donald Glover once. The Target closest to me is clearly odd though as I've never had the same peg warmers as most posters on here.
MickJohnson
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:28 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:17 am

Regarding the Droids Fett, my initial thought about using the original mould was that they maybe did that for accuracy, but on close inspection it looks like the animated source material has a form that’s closer to RotJ Fett than ESB Fett.

What’s more, the 3.75” figure uses the RotJ mould for that scale too.
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:20 am

I've had some things ship from Hasbro Pulse recently. Got Lando (from the Aurra Singh wave) yesterday, and then today I got an e-mail saying the EU Comic Luke Skywalker figure shipped.

I have to say, the Lando figure is fantastic. It looks great. And while I'm excited to get Luke and complete the set of the 4 EU Comic figures, I'm even more excited to get the Ysalamiri that comes with Luke and put it around Thrawns neck. It will be so POTF 2 EU it's gonna be f******* stupid!

All that aside, this is just a question, and I know there is no certain answer. But, do you guys think they will release Dak Ralter in the Archives Collection someday?
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3541
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:22 am

MickJohnson wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:17 am
Regarding the Droids Fett, my initial thought about using the original mould was that they maybe did that for accuracy, but on close inspection it looks like the animated source material has a form that’s closer to RotJ Fett than ESB Fett.

What’s more, the 3.75” figure uses the RotJ mould for that scale too.
Not saying you're wrong but curious which aspects of the animated design jump out as being specific to the ROTJ version.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9364
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:31 pm

So I finally manage to rip open my 50th anniversary POTF2 farm boy Luke last night only to get a shipping notice for Han from the same wave this morning..

Typical Image
TickTockClock wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 pm
Does anyone know where I can find any restocks for the solid cases of the Mandalorian imperial Stormtrooper that came out last year? Pretty much all of my Series 3 Stormtroopers have oxidized completely because I've kept them displayed too close to a window. So these need to be replaced immediately.
Out of curiosity, do you have photos of said troopers?
Yeah I do. These are the stormtroopers that came out about 6-7 years ago. And as you can see they’ve all pretty much universally yellowed over time after spending too much time under bright lights and near a window. I’m kind of on the fence on thinking that this display either needs to be upgraded or retired all together. But I’ve searched everywhere for the solid cases of the improved imperial stormtroopers from the Mandalorian wave and I’ve just about given up the search. I may have to revisit this idea when Hasbro develops their next stormtrooper body in a few years.

Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”





Recent Topics