Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 pm

After getting an e-mail weeks ago saying the Wave with Aurra Singh had all been delayed, today I got an e-mail saying General Lando from that Wave would be shipping soon. I wonder if the rest will come in, or if it's just going to be Lando for now?
MickJohnson
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:04 am

I have the new Captain Rex.....

Eh. It's frustrating. This is the first time I have ever had any seriously annoying gripes with a SWBS figure.

Firstly, the cloak. It is really well designed, but it's ugly. Rex only wears it for a total of 2 minutes in his first appearance in The Bad Batch. To start removing it, you have to rotate his arms backwards until they are up behind his head, then gently, GENTLY, start edging it up and off his shoulders, neck, and torso. Eventually it'll come off and reveal the fantastic detail underneath.

Unfortunately my fabric kama looks like it's perma-folded thanks to being stuffed into its packaging with this little corner folded up under the cloak.

Moving on, he has a single trigger finger. Bad.

But the face detail is awesome, as is the bespoke sculpting for his weld lines in the armour and the printing of the lines and the dirt.

Moving onto the helmet, that viewfinder is an absolute eyesore.

You could rotate it around backwards to hide it but the antenna doovy looks massively oversized.

I was hoping to be able to remove it but the pivot joint leaves a massive hole if you pop it out. I was also hoping to be able to use the helmet with the upcoming re-release of the classic Rex because it apparently has been improved, but with this viewfinder thing I think I'll avoid doing that.

And also... he is missing the blue pauldron on his left shoulder. I dunno who signed that off but they need a kick in the sack.

But having said all this, he looks frigging awesome stood next to Echo, who looks like he's fresh out of Clone Cadet school 8) Just for that I'll give him a 7/10.

If you're a pleb like me who only got into SWBS recently and has little choice of Rex figurines until later this year, give it a shot. But if you already have a PROPER Rex then steer clear of this one.

I should add the cloak is a really good item if you’re into customising and you want to make a generic background peasant for your Star Wars shelf.

To close, here's a pic with the new Shock Trooper, which I like marginally better than I like this version of Rex.

Yo.
Avengers Assemble

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am

Just got an email from Amazon saying Koska was arriving Tuesday & now it changed to October 2nd. :lol:
Rishi_Eel
Super Poseable

Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:28 am

MickJohnson wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:04 am
I have the new Captain Rex....

Eh. It's frustrating. This is the first time I have ever had any seriously annoying gripes with a SWBS figure.

Unfortunately my fabric kama looks like it's perma-folded thanks to being stuffed into its packaging with this little corner folded up under the cloak.
Thanks for all the pictures!
Some water should clear up that kama issue, just get it wet and reshape it.

Too bad about all the issues, he had potential to be a great figure. Personally I would have loved this as an opportunity to get him on the new mold, but alas. The original release had much nicer paint apps in my opinion, aside from the inaccurate weld lines. Instead of a nice wash, this figure seems to just be molded in a yellowy plastic which I don't really like. Starting to not really mind missing the preorder.

I do believe that the missing blue pauldron along with the visor were based on the initial concept design for the show, which was later changed to just match the Clone Wars look instead. Can't really fault Hasbro for that, but it is annoying.
MickJohnson

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55 pm

There’s also a practical reason for omitting the pauldron: it wouldn’t easily fit under the cloak. Some “TV magic” allowed him to wear it in the show.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:12 am

That Shock Trooper does look awesome. I actually was able to pre order him on Wal-Mart's website. I didn't order Rex since I already have his original release. I didn't feel I needed to buy him again just for a cloak. But the figure does look really cool.

Thanks for the pics. :)
Ham Salad
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 am

Rex was promoted to Commander in the last arc of The Clone Wars, so the figure is named incorrectly.

Did the Bad Batch address Rex as Captain during his appearances on the show?
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:14 am

Ham Salad wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 am
Rex was promoted to Commander in the last arc of The Clone Wars, so the figure is named incorrectly.

Did the Bad Batch address Rex as Captain during his appearances on the show?
If they did, there is no way they'd know about his promotion. And it wouldn't even mean anything to him anymore considering the Republic ceased to exist by the time they met up on the show.
MickJohnson

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:25 am

He was called Captain Rex in Rebels too. Chronologically the series happens after TCW S7, but in real life it was produced some years earlier than that final arc.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 pm

Does anyone know where I can find any restocks for the solid cases of the Mandalorian imperial Stormtrooper that came out last year? Pretty much all of my Series 3 Stormtroopers have oxidized completely because I've kept them displayed too close to a window. So these need to be replaced immediately.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Pretty sure Rex got demoted again when he, yknow, stopped being a part of the whole organization. The title is probably more of a reaction, what they're used to calling him. I haven't watched bad batch yet, but I'm guessing he didn't sign up with the Empire. So he shouldn't hold any official title anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TickTockClock
HULK SMASH!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 am

panther10 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find any restocks for the solid cases of the Mandalorian imperial Stormtrooper that came out last year? Pretty much all of my Series 3 Stormtroopers have oxidized completely because I've kept them displayed too close to a window. So these need to be replaced immediately.
Out of curiosity, do you have photos of said troopers?
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 am

Got my Wrecker from Pulse kind of out of the blue... I really do love what they've done with these Bad Batch figures. It's funny, I picked up an extra Hunter and Crosshair because I didn't want to cause any wear and tear on the head paint apps taking the helmets on and off but both of their helmets pop on very easily. Wrecker's big ol' noggin is a tight squeeze, probably won't use the helmet much. Not to just hope my Tech ships and they finally reveal the stragglers from the crew...
MickJohnson

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 pm
Pretty sure Rex got demoted again when he, yknow, stopped being a part of the whole organization. The title is probably more of a reaction, what they're used to calling him. I haven't watched bad batch yet, but I'm guessing he didn't sign up with the Empire. So he shouldn't hold any official title anymore.
Interestingly, it’s canon that he served with the Rebel Alliance at the Battle of Endor and had been promoted to commander among their ranks by that time.
Mannie_Bothans
Avengers Assemble

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:42 pm

TickTockClock wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 am
panther10 wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you have photos of said troopers?
+1 of wanting to see how they look too. How close to the window were they? Direct sunlight all day? Sunlight is the collector's greatest foe.

Also, I'm probably wrong, but I thought the 'yellow' oxidization can be reversed on most plastics? They have tutorials on YouTube with people doing it to old vintage troopers.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”