Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:36 am

I totally get the feeling on the price and want to not support that, but... I really want Greedo heh heh. And I feel like I tend to get figures for decent prices usually, even got some on sale with Target's May the Fourth sale, so... In my eyes, it may balance out a little. I'll pay a little extra once in a while.
JTMarsh
CROM!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:41 am

Andru wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:00 am
I love this line. I really do. I think they have come out with some amazing figures since they started the photo real face printing. In fact, Rex was one of my first figures. Still one of my favorites!

But this is not the only line I collect. I have a mortgage, student loans, bills, bills, and did I mention bills? I only have so much left over for this hobby (which I already spend a considerable amount on). I think I'm just about priced out here...

Will I spend this amount for characters I really want? Yes, probably...and that is part of the problem. But these "extras" that aren't essential to my collection...as a "financially responsible" adult, they just don't fit the budget anymore.
You only receive the type of treatment you'll put up with. I got Greedo only because I started the line later and don't have one. If the line is going to turn into wringing fans for their last bit of financial juice, quite simply I'm out. We all hit a wall and even have moments where we say "I seriously have too much crap." And buying something just "because it's what I do," becomes its own version of hording. Most of these (assuming they aren't exclusives) will see price drops on other platforms. You just may be waiting 'til Christmas before seeing them approach the price they always should have been. Increasingly I find myself happier when Black Series stuff releases and I can say "oh good, I don't need any of that."
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:32 am

Hasbro is Greed-o
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:52 am

Hey just grabbed Commander Pyre BNIB off eBay for $24.99 and $5 shipping priority.
I thought with today's price increase on the SWBS figures that was a good price and went for it.
Darth_Drakonis
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:55 am

Mods removed my previous post... funny how its ok to complain about Hasbro and call this price gouging... but god forbid someone calls out the politicians in DC and the voters who put them there who created the run away inflation.

We were likely to see prices go up a couple of dollars regardless... but now thanks to COVID and printing trillions of worthless greenbacks, I'm really not surprised at all to see Hasbro charging 33% more for all of their products.

So now we are at a crossroads... do you want the same price with lower quality figures or do you want a price increase with the same quality of figures? Someone mentioned McFarlane... I think they increased their prices slightly.. but lets not kid ourselves. The average Hasbro Black Series figure is much higher quality then the average McFarlane figure. Hasbro has much better articulation and is miles ahead with the face printing. I think most of you would celebrate if somehow Hasbro got ahold of the DC toy license and started producing a DC Legends line.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:57 am

Dafuq did I just read?

Also, can we please, PLEASE agree to ask why they keep releasing important characters as exclusives? Why were CW Anakin and ObiWan exclusive. Why would you release the army builders to go with ObiWan through a different retailer as an exclusive? Why aren’t there clone army builders available on pulse? Why does the new Rex cost so much?

These questions should be in the chat at those live events. YouTube celebrity reviewers should be asking this sorts of questions. We always get distracted by whatever new shiny thing the Star Wars team shows, but they really shouldn’t be let of the hook so easily.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 am

I really feel Hasbro and Walgreens owe us an explanation on why they didn’t uphold the advertising that the 212 clone exclusive was going up for preorder today. Very disrespectful on their parts. I sincerely hope it violates some clause in their contract and makes that figure eligible to be sold through fan channels now. I know that’s probably not realistic but there needs to be some kind of punishment for Walgreens wasting our time.

But the biggest question is why have none of these recent Star Wars exclusives been put up on pulse under the partner exclusives? Shouldn’t that be happening with every exclusive now? They got Joes finally figured out only to see Star Wars fall apart now. If you need to botch any line’s exclusives, have it be Ghostbusters. Better to piss off the 23 collectors of that line than the 23 million Star Wars, marvel, and GI Joe fans
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:37 am

supreme-d wrote:
These questions should be in the chat at those live events.
Do you mean the livestreams? Do you believe those are actually live?
supreme-d wrote:YouTube celebrity reviewers should be asking this sorts of questions.
Do you believe that hard hitting questions will actually get answered? That YouTubers actually hold some kind of sway? Might be why some don't even bother to ask anything at all...
logan44
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:41 am

Buttmunch wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 am
I really feel Hasbro and Walgreens owe us an explanation on why they didn’t uphold the advertising that the 212 clone exclusive was going up for preorder today. Very disrespectful on their parts. I sincerely hope it violates some clause in their contract and makes that figure eligible to be sold through fan channels now. I know that’s probably not realistic but there needs to be some kind of punishment for Walgreens wasting our time.

But the biggest question is why have none of these recent Star Wars exclusives been put up on pulse under the partner exclusives? Shouldn’t that be happening with every exclusive now? They got Joes finally figured out only to see Star Wars fall apart now. If you need to botch any line’s exclusives, have it be Ghostbusters. Better to piss off the 23 collectors of that line than the 23 million Star Wars, marvel, and GI Joe fans
Maybe this is just me putting on a tinfoil hat, but doesn't it feel like there's something bigger going on with the Star Wars license? Star Wars and all of its product is always being handled differently by Hasbro, even from fellow Disney property Marvel.

I think the hoops they have to jump through to please Disney, Lucasfilm and all the varied SW stakeholders necessitates some decisions that don't make much sense to the general public...and I wonder if that has something to do with how exclusives are being handled.

I have no numbers to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the Star Wars licenses stacked next to their smaller cut of the profits probably means Hasbro doesn't make nearly as much from Star Wars as we all might think they do. I'd even wager part of the reason that Marvel Legends mostly runs like a well-oiled machine is because Hasbro IS making a killing with that line.

So how do you make more money from a line that should be like printing money for you? You start inching up the prices and see if the suckers...I mean fish...are still on the line. So exclusives start inching up to 24.99...or 26.49...or 29.99. And...whattaya know...the CW Target exclusives are flying off shelves at $26.49. And Rex and his $29.99 price tag still vanishes in literally seconds.

So the question becomes...why the hell WOULDN'T Hasbro start charging $29.99 for all exclusives TFN? Or for that matter, regular wave figures? If people will buy at that price, why would Hasbro hold the retail price lower? And if Hasbro wanted to make the case for that $29.99 price point, wouldn't you put popular characters you know will sell well at that premium and watch the fans prove you right?

Now, we can argue about whether an MSRP of $29.99 is sustainable. But outside of everyone screaming, I don't see much hard evidence that figures wouldn't still move. Maybe the reality would be different. I actually hope it would. Unfortunately, I think we're all gonna find out a lot sooner than later.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:01 am

I can all but confirm that their licensing fee must be outrageous. Lego is a great example. What would normally be a $20 set is $30 for Star Wars. The piece per brick ratio for Star Wars is worse than any other licensed line. I’m sure that all has to come down to licensing. Hasbro has been charging us more for Star Wars than ML for years. $20 got you a figure with 1-2 accessories with Star Wars. ML have you a figure with 1-2 accessories (sometimes much more) plus a build a figure piece. For $120 you usually got 6 standard figures and a larger BAF. SW only gives you the 6 standard figures. I’m sure they could do a BAF kind of thing for Star Wars. They briefly attempted build a droids in the 4” line. Truth is it just doesn’t cost out. They can offer us figures at the $20 price same as legends but they had to cut what was included to make it profitable enough to stay at that price.

Now even ML are up to $23 and so are basic Star Wars figures. Still, no increases in accessories for that. Inflation finally hit a point where Hasbro couldn’t keep going at that nice even $20 but they aren’t yet willing to test out the full $25 on non exclusive figures. We’ve been trained to pay more for exclusives due to their seemingly lower production runs so we do out of FOMO.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:11 am

So, considering the anniversary waves have all been 100% re-use except for Qui-Gon's head and face-printing decos- other than the Clone Wars figures-
What are we expecting of what's potentially left this year?
From current patterns, I don't personally anticipate any new tooling from what's left of these, now, so- assuming others will be the same- re-release, face-tech updates, nostalgic cardbacks...
Attack of the Clones: has very few to choose from, all pretty recent releases, all already photo-real, right?
Revenge of the Sith: I can only really think of Anakin again (which is oft-requested/difficult to source now, and would look phenomenal in that curvy shell, fair play- so a sensible choice). But anybody else?..
I think the best likelihood of what could be left would probably be green cardbacks with some of the earliest releases left due a re-release?
Guinness Obi-Wan recently had a photo-real pattern created for him and the mold was dug out and online again- so seems the most business-savvy choice. Could we get a Boushh re-release at last? An R2? R5? Who's left un-re-released/desired? Ideal time for Jabba's prisoner Leia, if ever. Maybe an Emperor's wrath Vader or removable helmet Vader on the new body, I suppose, to get Vader in somewhere?
Limited (cheap to produce, easy to repackage) choices left.
logan44
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:16 am

Frankly, I don't think this has much to do with inflation. I'm sure Hasbro is encountering some escalating costs through their entire production pipeline because...well, COVID gave everyone an excuse to jack up prices.

Has Hasbro been pinched in the last year because of those rising costs? I'm sure they have. But I doubt that Hasbro was valiantly fighting to hold the line at $19.99. I think this is their opportunity to do what they've probably wanted to do for a while -- take the governor plates off and let the market start setting the prices on collectibles. Star Wars toys like the Black Series are not for kids anymore. They're for goofball 20-to-50 somethings like us.

And we've clearly got the disposable income to drop $29.99 on Rex today, so...how about that for your new MSRP? When you own the action figure market with the two biggest lines around (and a big comer in GI Joe Classified), why not see how high this tide can raise you?

I'd like to think they're only "testing" this on exclusives. But it's like the frog in the pot of slowly heating water...how long does the cooking take as you sit complacently and boil? These price changes have been aggressive in the past six months. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't stay aggressive going forward...and I bet the Hasbro bottom line is supporting that decision.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:20 am

RoboKillah wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:37 am
supreme-d wrote:
These questions should be in the chat at those live events.
Do you mean the livestreams? Do you believe those are actually live?
supreme-d wrote:YouTube celebrity reviewers should be asking this sorts of questions.
Do you believe that hard hitting questions will actually get answered? That YouTubers actually hold some kind of sway? Might be why some don't even bother to ask anything at all...
Yep-
An expectation that Hasbro will ever have any intention of opening themselves up to tough interrogation will only disappoint you, sorry (no offence intended, supreme-d). Any relationship with Youtubers is purely cheap, easy advertising for what they deem to be a very vocal, but small portion of their customers.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:47 am

$20 rrp rising to $22 is the genuine increase in business costs, as evidenced by other products. It averages across the year for inflation, the increase in oil and shipping costs, and offsets losses from Covid such as delays and distribution issues (although the biggest offset to these losses are re-releases of existing business assets). That also accounts for $24.99 exclusives rising to $26.49 (but the unspoken contract with the customer was that, for that initial increase of $4.99 per figure in the first place, such exclusives included some added value- such as the Gaming Greats ammendments, and the two recent Clone Wars waves ammendments. The POTF2 wave and, to a very slightly lesser degree, the Phantom Menace Wave, disrespect that 'contract', really).
Any other increases are simply to increase profit margins.
Hasbro will obviously test how far they can push a fanbase that they know consists of a portion of completists (Star Wars action figure audiences have always consisted of a portion of completists)- and they know, until they meet a pinch-point, those completists will complain but still buy. They don't care about the complaint: they care about the buy.
Jar Jar seemed to prove a pinch-point people won't accept, largely- so this Rex is a different test: "can we gouge as long as the character is loved well enough, even with the bare minimum?"
Nonetheless, although we always have to consider we (those who discuss toys online) are a tiny proportion of the customers Hasbro need:
I'd say there's been a definite lesson as far as market research is concerned that Hasbro have really pushed a bit too far this time. UK fan channel comments are showing a huge proportion of the usual reliable completists sitting more and more of these exclusives and higher priced items out, and this time a lot more people are explicitly stating they've hit their ceiling and they're walking away from the line. (And all of the higher priced figures of this year, including those the US are struggling over, still remain easy to source in multiples in the UK- illustrating this isn't just talk: it's genuinely translating into fewer sales.)
logan44
Super Poseable

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:04 am

PSPS13 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:47 am
I'd say there's been a definite lesson as far as market research is concerned that Hasbro have really pushed a bit too far this time. UK fan channel comments are showing a huge proportion of the usual reliable completists sitting more and more of these exclusives and higher priced items out, and this time a lot more people are explicitly stating they've hit their ceiling and they're walking away from the line. (And all of the higher priced figures of this year, including those the US are struggling over, still remain easy to source in multiples in the UK- illustrating this isn't just talk: it's genuinely translating into fewer sales.)
Well reasoned...and I genuinely hope you're right that Jar Jar is evidence that they can't continue to inch prices up on everything without some pushback. Without access to real sales data, it certainly feels like Jar Jar, and examples like Moloch before him, prove that not everything will sell at an elevated price point.

But as you said, Hasbro doesn't care about the complaints, they care about the buy. While I agree we've heard a LOT of griping today and recently from the fan community, I wonder how many of those people who say they're so fed up that they're out are really out.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think a lot of them are mad today and may even boycott a figure like Rex on principle...but when something comes up that they really want and can get, they'll hop right back on the train. And if $29.99 is soon the rule and not the exception, how much does Hasbro bleed?

I'd like to think that would be a breaking point. But could they actually end up making more money producing and selling fewer units at $29.99 then they currently make at $22.99? I don't have the analytics to know that answer. But I don't think it's impossible. And there may be some benefits we don't readily see.

I'm not trying to be a wallet doomsayer. But it sure feels like a very strong wind is pushing in that direction.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”