Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm

supermonkey wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Reinanigans wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Wanted to bump my question since it got lost in the discourse:

Will the new CW Obi-Wan head fit on the old RotS Obi-Wan body/the archive one?
This question has been answered at least once., but prolly 15 pages ago. IIRC, someone said it IS swappable.

Also at 10 til 4 EDT on the day of the big 1pm pre-sale drop, Walgreens is still completely clueless.....
Great! Thanks so much. :)
logan44
Super Poseable

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Yeah...persistence usually pays off with Walmart preorders if you give it an hour or two. But not today. This was definitely my worst experience with that site...and I've had a few I didn't want to relive. Like most Walmart exclusives, I would think they'll come back around as we get toward October. But today was really, really bad.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 pm

I still find it weird regarding these POTF2 figures that:
1) They didn't include a (Guinness) Obi-Wan. These exclusives are generally, though obviously not always, in fours- he'd have fitted right in perfectly- and- when they released him and Greedo Kenner-style earlier in the year, including giving him photo-real: I was hoping it might lead to proper re-releases for them. It was born out with Greedo, obviously; but really disappointed it wasn't with him. Fingers crossed there's a green-back set to come with him (and R2, ideally).
2) People have often defended the few awful heads in the archive releases, because archives 'don't change anything but face prints' -
But we saw from the Phantom Menace Qui-Gon, that there's no such arbitrary (conveniently cheap) rule for these exclusive, anniversary figures. With these, when the head's an embarrassment (like Qui-Gon), they can replace it... So how have we ended up paying a premium for a Luke and Han that are arguably worse than the original Qui-Gon here? For a few pounds/dollars more.
Much easier to stomach at archive prices, but for these exclusives- it reflects quite poorly on Hasbro, unfortunately.
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:00 pm

Mannie_Bothans wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:25 pm
I've been logged in with payment info saved for every Walmart release. If you don't get it in the first hour, usually in the second or third you can. This is the first time I've struck out consistently. 3 and a half hours of trying.

This is the worst lol. Not sure what I'm more upset with -- me sitting here wasting time on my day off OR getting it in my cart from the list page only to get to the very last step of the checkout for them to say, "Yeah, actually we don't have it."

I need to go to something productive... I give up for now.
Same. I was able to preorder the Clone Wars exclusives last year with some persistence. This time it only worked with Imperial Crosshair and Imperial Shock Clone Trooper. No luck with Rex. I would get him in cart but could not complete purchase. Repeated that several times in the first 3 hours. Damn, is Rex more popular than Ahsoka?
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Well, today has been pretty negative in this thread, but now that I have Greedo, ANH Luke and Bad Batch Rex preordered, my checklist is done outside of other upcoming preorder figures. Yay! I've personally had a really fun time collecting this line this past year. It's become my main collecting focus and I'm looking forward to getting an updated Alec Guiness TBS to replace the SHF since he stands out like a sore thumb. Of course, SHF Obi-Wan will just go in the SHF display. :wink:

Rishi_Eel
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 pm

PSPS13 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 pm
I still find it weird regarding these POTF2 figures that:
1) They didn't include a (Guinness) Obi-Wan. These exclusives are generally, though obviously not always, in fours- he'd have fitted right in perfectly- and- when they released him and Greedo Kenner-style earlier in the year, including giving him photo-real: I was hoping it might lead to proper re-releases for them. It was born out with Greedo, obviously; but really disappointed it wasn't with him. Fingers crossed there's a green-back set to come with him (and R2, ideally).

I'm surprised they released a second anniversary Greedo to be honest. I would have gone with a Kenner style DS trooper or something. It's also odd that there isn't a fourth figure, there's loads that could be in POTF packaging.
343guiltyspark
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:33 pm

Jedigreedo wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:58 pm
Those Pulse prices are incredibly disappointing and kinda disgusting. I was really excited to preorder the POTF2 cardbacks but $29(w/ tax) a piece for two mediocre updates and a straight rerelease? That's a dealbreaker, only justifiable if you missed the original Greedo. But Han and Luke are especially not anywhere near improved enough, considering better headsculpts already exist, to be worth that. Unless these things come with some sort of Cantina diorama pieces they're not revealing, or pieces to a Wuher BAF, those prices are just stupid and should be considered a slap in the face.
Yeah Hasbro is really going crazy with these price hikes. To me, the Walmart Rex at $32 MSRP is even less justifiable given it's just a cloak and visor added with possible minor paint variations. I was actually wondering if someone from Hasbro made a typo when I first read that price in the announcement. $30+ should only be for larger figures (like the upcoming Wrecker) or figures with lots of extra accessories (like Return of the Jedi Boba Fett set). There's no reason to charge that for the Walmart Rex other than greed and the fact that they can unfortunately likely get away with it, but like you said, it's a real slap in the face to collectors.
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Reinanigans wrote:
Well, today has been pretty negative in this thread, but now that I have Greedo, ANH Luke and Bad Batch Rex preordered, my checklist is done outside of other upcoming preorder figures. Yay! I've personally had a really fun time collecting this line this past year. It's become my main collecting focus and I'm looking forward to getting an updated Alec Guiness TBS to replace the SHF since he stands out like a sore thumb. Of course, SHF Obi-Wan will just go in the SHF display. :wink:

Loving the display there, looks really nice!

I think that Obi fits pretty well with that setup actually, very cool.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:40 pm

Reinanigans wrote:
supermonkey wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Reinanigans wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Wanted to bump my question since it got lost in the discourse:

Will the new CW Obi-Wan head fit on the old RotS Obi-Wan body/the archive one?
This question has been answered at least once., but prolly 15 pages ago. IIRC, someone said it IS swappable.

Also at 10 til 4 EDT on the day of the big 1pm pre-sale drop, Walgreens is still completely clueless.....
Great! Thanks so much. :)
It will probably require some modification though. Most likely the hole in the head would have to be drilled out a little. I haven't tried to do it yet. I did post it earlier in the thread though that I did use an old Morrison head for the new Boba Fett and it required alot of modding to the actual neck to fit properly. It sat way too high and I had already drilled it out to where the bit almost pushed through the top. So I doubt it'll be a straight swap. But it's most likely doable with some fanangling.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

343guiltyspark
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Those lucky Canadians have apparently already ordered the 212th Trooper through EB Games. I sure wish Hasbro gave the 212th Trooper here in the US to GameStop so we could actually get it...
johngomez
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Looking at the final product on the Farmboy Luke re-release, I’m still pretty happy with my Landspeeder Luke with the 1st wave X-Wing Luke head transplanted onto it. I have a whole set of those orange-backs in 3.75”, don’t need to start a new 6” collection just for packaging.

And a new Guinness OB1 would be an amazing thing. I gave old Ben’s cloak to AOTC Obi-Wan which fits amazingly well, but new face-print and a not-broken lightsaber would really brighten up the Dune Sea around here.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:33 pm

343guiltyspark wrote:
Those lucky Canadians have apparently already ordered the 212th Trooper through EB Games. I sure wish Hasbro gave the 212th Trooper here in the US to GameStop so we could actually get it...
That would have been sweet. it's really easy to get GameStop Exclusives. I can't believe it's 6:30 and Walgreens hasn't put this thing up yet. I mean, I'm sure it will sell out near instantly anyways, but lets get it over with.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 pm

Reefer Shark wrote:
Reinanigans wrote:

Loving the display there, looks really nice!

I think that Obi fits pretty well with that setup actually, very cool.
Thanks! Greedo is going down with the bounty hunters, of course. Rex will be up with the Ghost crew, even if it’s not old-man Rex.

I’m trying desperately to stick to Empire era characters, which means the Bad Batch technically qualify, but while I like the show, I don’t know if I can even fit all 6 of them with Omega included. And no way I can fit the Rogue One or Solo casts in too. I loved Rebels, so in they go! I love Hondo in there, being his hilarious self.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 am

Super Camel wrote:
343guiltyspark wrote:
That would have been sweet. it's really easy to get GameStop Exclusives. I can't believe it's 6:30 and Walgreens hasn't put this thing up yet. I mean, I'm sure it will sell out near instantly anyways, but lets get it over with.
This is Walgreens. It probably won't go up on the website for a month, it'll be at 12am eastern time, and it'll still sell out in 2 minutes. Then they'll leave the listing for a few hours as sold out. Then take it down again. And most of us wouldn't even know it went up. And it'll never go up again. That's how Walgreens does it lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:00 am

I decided to hold off for a few hours before canceling Han & Greedo...well, it's been a few hours and I canceled both.

There is absolutely no reason these should be $26.99. It is already ridiculous enough that most of their Target & Walmart exclusives over the last year increased to $24.99...and these re-releases with updated photo real are even more?!

Archive Leia & Obi-Wan, other re-releases with updated photo real were just revealed 1 week ago at $22.99...am I to understand/accept The Power of The Force packaging justifies a $4 increase?

And then you have Rex who is $29.99? WHY?

I love this line. I really do. I think they have come out with some amazing figures since they started the photo real face printing. In fact, Rex was one of my first figures. Still one of my favorites!

But this is not the only line I collect. I have a mortgage, student loans, bills, bills, and did I mention bills? I only have so much left over for this hobby (which I already spend a considerable amount on). I think I'm just about priced out here...

Will I spend this amount for characters I really want? Yes, probably...and that is part of the problem. But these "extras" that aren't essential to my collection...as a "financially responsible" adult, they just don't fit the budget anymore.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”