Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:46 am

I often see people saying that BS figures are pretty good for the price, so I'm wondering, at what price point do these figures stop becoming good for the price considering that they only come with the bare minimum?
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:25 am

You know it's a different person to person, but you didn't even answer your own question. I'm guessing it's already surpassed your maximum?

All prices have been going up, but I still feel they are worth the $20-$25 for standards, MAYBE slightly higher for exclusives. And I'll have to re-evaluate if the prices across the board go up again. But that $32 for Rex is bullshit simply because there's no reason for it at the moment other than "It's Rex". And everyone here knows my feelings about Star Wars figures in general, I'm a complete sucker, but still. Not cool.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:49 am

I have purchased most at $20. I got much more strict at $23 -25 (both with Black Series and Marvel Legends). If standard figures go anywhere near $32 I'll buy just the must haves, and that will be a much shorter list. My days of buying entire waves have likely past, and have for most of this year. I started limiting army builders to just favorites, and only 2 copies. I sold all my excess army builders, and a lot of the figures that I don't do anything with.

I'm not upset about it, just more focused. And honestly, that is probably a good thing.
Photo Dave
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:53 am

Deep Thoughts, by Photo Dave:

- I preordered the Rex rerelease, so I'll stick to that one, especially with the cloaked price hike.
- Went a bit nuts on the 501st preorder, so I may pick up some 212th Clones if I come across any, but they're not a priority.
- I'm digging the Bad Batch, but I haven't picked up any figures yet, and that Crosshair won't be the first.
- Greedo looks great, but he's not a fave and I'm not a completist, so I'll pass on him.
- I'm undecided on Luke. I preordered the Leia, so maybe.
- I've been wanting a new ANH Han for a while now, but the photo-real can't hide that head sculpt. I may just keep my old one and try an ROTJ head swap.

After the beating my wallet took last time, I'm happy I don't "need" any of these. Maaayybe Luke, but we'll see.

Have fun, all!
MickJohnson
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 am

Someone help me out here. Are they also re-releasing the old Rex figure, or was the news about it actually referring to this one?

Personally I'd prefer the old one because this new one with the missing pauldron has me all fussy about it. And if they were to make a new one, why not go the effort and actually use the updated clone body?

Flippin heck, Hasbro!
MickJohnson
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:58 am

RoboKillah wrote:
All prices have been going up, but I still feel they are worth the $20-$25 for standards, MAYBE slightly higher for exclusives. And I'll have to re-evaluate if the prices across the board go up again. But that $32 for Rex is bullshit simply because there's no reason for it at the moment other than "It's Rex". And everyone here knows my feelings about Star Wars figures in general, I'm a complete sucker, but still. Not cool.
I usually get mine on pre-order from EB Games because FOMO and all that and prices have been creeping up, but lately I have been seeing them go up on Amazon for about 20% cheaper. If we were all a little bit more patient and smarter about it then we would still get them for reasonable prices.

Note that I'm Australian so YMMV on that!
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:11 am

MickJohnson wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 am
Someone help me out here. Are they also re-releasing the old Rex figure, or was the news about it actually referring to this one?

Personally I'd prefer the old one because this new one with the missing pauldron has me all fussy about it. And if they were to make a new one, why not go the effort and actually use the updated clone body?

Flippin heck, Hasbro!
I'm still not sure what's going on with the reissue. But looking again, he didn't have the pauldron when he was wearing the poncho, the cloth lays even on both shoulders. Hasbro also can't reuse the updated Clone body because Rex has the unique welding to his torso and helmet. Honestly, the Rex arms probably have the best elbow range out of all the troopers and he has double knees.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:32 am

RoboKillah wrote:
You know it's a different person to person, but you didn't even answer your own question. I'm guessing it's already surpassed your maximum?

I know Robo, that's why I'm asking. Thought it might be an intersting discussion, or at least more interesting than the good ol' single v double joint debates, lol. But you're right it's surpassed my maximum this morning when I saw Rex's price tag. $32 for a repaint with maybe 4 small new parts and a gray cloak. I feel like they could get away with $30 if the figures are all knock outs like Snowspeeder Luke and the two new CW Jedi before a lot of people start checking out.

If they offered useful accessories, like more hands, and separate head sculpts for helmets, that would go a long way towards increasing value for me. These are things that they do for other lines already, so it's disappointing they don't do it here.

My favorite release from this line ever is the Dagobah Luke & Yoda set because it gave me two great figures, and options!
JTMarsh
CROM!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:38 am

RoboKillah wrote:
But that $32 for Rex is bullshit simply because there's no reason for it at the moment other than "It's Rex". And everyone here knows my feelings about Star Wars figures in general, I'm a complete sucker, but still. Not cool.
Welcome to the Dark Side brother.

Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:45 am

If normal release figures hit $25 a pop I'm done buying most of them. Can't justify it. This Rex is absurdly overpriced. I'll stick to characters I absolutely love or put my money elsewhere. Especially with next year possibly being Beast Wars heavy for Transformers. And I hear McFarlane is doing a new set of DC figures for $20 that are easy to find and really nice. Hear that Hasbro SW team? Cut this shit. It will not fly.

I'm guessing the Rex reissue is still coming out. I'd Hasbro can get us to buy both, they will. I'm not. But I'm sure other sheeple will.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am

You should also understand that international collectors are paying even more for these figures, but Hasbro doesn't care at all. If I want to buy Rex, then with all the shipping and taxes, it will cost me 50 bucks at best. All they have to do now is stick the "exclusive" logo on the figure to sell it for more. Because this is exactly what you paying for.

These figures doesnt have BAF parts, interchangeable hands or heads. Half of the figures are the same reuses and re-releases, just like MCU figures and they have less articulation . But at the same time, they are more expensive. This doesn't make any sense.

Why should I pay 27$ for old Luke figure with horrible face? Just for the retro card? Absurd.

How can McFarlane can do new sculps with the same number of accessories and in larger size for less? They perfectly understand that this is "Star Wars" and that people are willing to overpay for the brand.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Until I see similar price increases on other company's figure lines, I'm going to put this on Hasbro and their shareholders. Heck, even other Hasbro lines haven't gone up this much (yet). I never was a completionist in this line, but I'll just keep getting more and more selective and narrow my SW figure focus.

From the recent Target exclusives, I only got Kenobi just because it is such a great new look. I'm not into Bad Batch, but liked the Elite Squad Trooper enough to get him. I POed Zaalbar because I like gaming figures. Fortunately nothing coming out today appeals.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 pm

Aleks wrote:You should also understand that international collectors are paying even more for these figures, but Hasbro doesn't care at all. If I want to buy Rex, then with all the shipping and taxes, it will cost me 50 bucks at best. All they have to do now is stick the "exclusive" logo on the figure to sell it for more. Because this is exactly what you paying for.

These figures doesnt have BAF parts, interchangeable hands or heads. Half of the figures are the same reuses and re-releases, just like MCU figures and they have less articulation . But at the same time, they are more expensive. This doesn't make any sense.

Why should I pay 27$ for old Luke figure with horrible face? Just for the retro card? Absurd.

How can McFarlane can do new sculps with the same number of accessories and in larger size for less? They perfectly understand that this is "Star Wars" and that people are willing to overpay for the brand.
Yea its definitely not fair to you overseas guys. If I moved out of the US, which I've considered a few times, I would probably have to just stop collecting. I would probably also try to sell alot of my older stuff just to make it easier to move. And since I would have so many holes I couldn't fill (giggidy), it would probably be better for my sanity to just drop most of it altogether.

Honestly if I knew I could sell some of the older stuff I have, I'd consider it. But alot of people probably wouldn't want it now that alot of it has been replaced by better newer versions. Or has been slightly modified.

And I'd still keep alot of the stuff I had as a kid. Cause memories and such.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Sloth15 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 pm
Until I see similar price increases on other company's figure lines, I'm going to put this on Hasbro and their shareholders. Heck, even other Hasbro lines haven't gone up this much (yet). I never was a completionist in this line, but I'll just keep getting more and more selective and narrow my SW figure focus.
That’s my problem with it. They just raised the price on exclusives to $25, and now there’s another increase already. Ridiculous. And for what it costs after shipping, I dont feel that a lot of background/filler characters will make the cut. $20 I can live with, but I don’t need background characters if they’re $40 after shipping.

Also, exclusives? I just got done going through the hell of acquiring Anakin and Echo. Still dont have Obi-Wan yet, whom I’ve wanted for years (and am only willing to pay the $32 for because of that). Hasbro needs to stop putting highly demanded figures out as exclusives. There is no way they didn’t realize the main antagonist from Bad Batch would be highly demanded. If I had to guess, that’s a selling point for retailers that Hasbro is using to incentivize their purchase, but I think it’s alienating a lot of us.

I actually didn’t preorder anything from the Rogue One series because of the bs I had to go through with Clone Wars souring me to the brand. If highly demanded Clone Wars figures keep getting the exclusive treatment, my interest might just taper off due to a mixture of frustration and as a general FU to the Star Wars team.

Also, that Han still has an unusually long neck. Between this and the archive Obi-Wan, it seems that there wont be any improvements to the obvious issues that affected older figures.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:16 pm

I've usually likened Hasbro to dealers, cutting the quality of your fix, gradually upping prices, skimming more off for themselves over time...
But this is worse, now. This is an abusive relationship, innit?
They've got you hooked in, now it's time to take you for everything you've got.
If that price for Rex is correct, because, in the UK, we generally pay one pound for every dollar you're charged, that makes it the equivalent of $44.32 in the UK. Before any p&p. Obscene. £22/$30.47 standard was a struggle, £25/$34.62 for exclusives was taking the p, but rare- now this? Not even deluxe? Its like someone's drunk and trying to prove they can make their subservients debase themselves for a bet.
And they clearly can't even deliver what they should do at these prices, anyway, because figures are increasingly sub-par or inaccurate to make use of existing assets rather than new sculpts and under finished when it comes to colour. This line, selling more than ever, seems technically unviable in delivering.
Time to walk away shortly. If I can't afford to collect what I like, it's better to collect none than to be forever struggling and disappointed. Really poor moves here. Losing more and more respect and past goodwill.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”