Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Reefer Shark
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Sun May 09, 2021 1:18 am

Roufuss wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am
Ru_1977 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 am
Exactly how I want to spend the one day I'm supposed to be allowed to sleep in.

EDIT: I see now it's not on ACTUAL Father's Day.
Yea, this is just a month long promotion. I remember one year Target set up a bunch of Star Wars stuff in the men’s clothing department.
Yep, that was when they released the Stormtrooper Luke and first 3 3/4” retro wave. Those were actually pretty easy to get in my area, so here’s hoping the same will happen for these.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 1:58 am

Pretty sexist/exclusionary of Hasbro/Target making the clone wars figures Father’s Day tie-in items. Star Wars is for everyone! I’d love for them to get some serious heat for that decision and hopefully destroy their exclusive deals entirely. Whatever it takes for Target to stop getting any exclusives I’d be for.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 2:10 am

Buttmunch wrote:
Pretty sexist/exclusionary of Hasbro/Target making the clone wars figures Father’s Day tie-in items. Star Wars is for everyone! I’d love for them to get some serious heat for that decision and hopefully destroy their exclusive deals entirely. Whatever it takes for Target to stop getting any exclusives I’d be for.
They have been doing Star Wars Fathers Day promotions for years. The 5POA vintage looking figures were one years.
Jcmmavsfan
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 09, 2021 3:34 pm

Buttmunch wrote:
PC gone mad.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun May 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Uh oh. That's bait if I ever smelled it. Star Wars IS for everyone and should remain that way, but I don't see the harm in a little targeted (no pun intended) marketing. They know their fanbase. It's not like women/non-fathers aren't allowed to buy things around Father's Day anyway. Now, store exclusives- most definitely get rid of them. Those are no longer welcome in the Star Wars community. :D
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Haha, yeah, I’m not a PC extremist, probably closer to the opposite actually. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I suppose I should be more careful about that these days.

But yes, eliminating store exclusives (especially with target) would be the dream! The reality is these won’t last long enough on the shelves for any fuss to be made other than the one caused by everyone that isn’t able to find them - regardless of their placement in the store. I don’t think any of us would care if we had to go to the toilet bowl cleaner or intimates departments to buy these if we could actually find them there. The actual placement isn’t the issue so much as the quantity available. Stick them with the light bulbs for all I care if they stock them plentifully!
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Okay, rant over. I feel much better now.
Boke18
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm

I guess I'll be up early Sunday to go wait in line on the 23rd lol.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun May 09, 2021 11:03 pm

Buttmunch wrote:
Whatever it takes for Target to stop getting any exclusives I’d be for.
Honestly, if we could get a less inflammatory influencer in the community to do an interview with Ashley Margarit, she could educate about the buying process at Target while talking about pressure points and why problems arise.

Maybe it's really as simple as an open preorder before Target buys anything. Then they order some extra for online and in-store and can reorder if that sells out. That would help determine how many people want the toys versus how many people want to make money off of them due to a degree of scarcity.

I respect somebody who loves GI Joe and has the means to buy 100 army builders because that is their vision. That's cool. I don't respect somebody who has retailer-specific bots and puts stuff they don't care about on their eBay account so they flip it and buy whatever the modern douchebag buys to 'impress' other people. Talk about their 'hustle' while bashing the very people who wind up buying that overpriced stuff because it's either that or nothing.
Boke18
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 09, 2021 11:15 pm

I don't know how many of you collect NECA toon turtles. While it certainly isn't perfect it's clear they are trying. Recently they put up preorders on their site that had previously been at Target. Not only that but future Toon target exlusives went up on their site for us to preorder for a week. They'll be in stores later this year.

Hasbro needs to do more of this. They are clearly dabbling but they need to have preorders open for a set time and have them release later in the year. They actively have the means to get rid of the middle man.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 am

I think people are a little more forgiving of Neca 1 because they do offer those orders on their site but 2 because they’ve been very forward with that the exclusivity is the hoop they have to jump through to even make the figures at all. Hasbro has no such restraint (or at least publicly shared) with their choices for exclusive items. I agree that preorders are the way to go. Similar to how they handled the SDCC exclusives last year. Premium members got first crack at available stock and then preorders were put up for a second run. Everyone seemed to be ok with that approach. If target stores got first crack and then website preorders for another run 6 months later, I think the majority of people would be ok with that. Those that need them ASAP can find them in store or on eBay and those that can wait a bit can take the hassle free preorder approach. That seems like a win-win-win since Target gets the foot traffic in store, the collectors can guarantee the item they want, and Hasbro probably sells much more than the original agreement would have made them.
Boke18
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 am

That needs to be the method going forward. That needs to be a perk of being a premium member at least.
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Mon May 10, 2021 2:21 am

'Second runs' are definitely becoming more common when Hasbro believe demand exists (enough to meet whatever minimum run still makes enough profit).
In the UK (possibly the US, too), there are second runs due this Summer of Beskar Mando, Mando Stormtrooper, Incinerator Trooper, boxed ESB Vader... and prior to that approach were the reruns of Gree, Gam guard, Dooku, Mace, Grievous etc.
Even the Archives are basically reruns (just with larger gaps of time since first release) and they've increased in regularity plenty-
So it certainly looks like there's been a move to increase production when Hasbro have the confidence there's a call for it.
I guess there's a slight disconnect, though, between what we, hardcore collectors, believe will sell in massive quantities and what Hasbro believe/know. In reality, as big as they are for us, these Clone Wars figures probably aren't gonna mean the same to the casual collectors that the whole line depends on. Its always hard to accept that when you're in a 'fandom', it's actually the other 99% of customers that aren't heavily invested that support the sales-
But it stands to reason that Hasbro wouldn't be offering these as exclusives if they were confident they could sell larger quantities by stocking them everywhere.
I don't enjoy the exclusives model at all, they're, of course, only designed to bring people into stores to buy other products; but I do believe many of these figures wouldn't get made if they weren't being ordered from Hasbro by these stores in this way. Hasbro makes however many of these they make ONLY because they're being bought outright by the stores. This, essentially, is Hasbro cutting out everyone but one customer. There's no gamble for Hasbro with exclusives, so they're here to stay as long as stores shift most of their stock at full price.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 am

I’ve never understood the idea of drawing people into the stores with exclusives. It’s not like I go, oh, while I’m here now I’m going to blow $500 more dollars on something else. At best I might grab a candy bar or soda at check out, but even that rarely happens. I can’t imagine that $1 candy bar sale makes all the hassle of exclusives worthwhile. I’d really love to see some numbers on what we are supposedly buying in addition to the store exclusives. I would have to think based on the stories here most of the time hunting for these we walk out completely empty handed if they don’t have them or we only grab the figures we are looking for if they do. When I did find a cobra island figure, I sped walk to the checkout as fast as I could for fear of someone else grabbing it from me before I could pay for it and legally make it my property. They’ve got us so freaked out with these exclusives lately, I wouldn’t even dare wander around the store for fear of getting cart jacked while grabbing lucky charms or something. I just honestly can’t believe their data shows these as worthwhile efforts anymore.

Honestly, these collectors lines just need to drop retail entirely. The pegs are empty 95% of the time or full of the peg warmers doomed to clearance since it was announced. Retail can’t be providing that much of the sales of these lines if the pegs are always empty. Amazon and other etailers could easily pick up the slack. Retail won’t ever abandon kid toys but the collector lines for Hasbro and Mattel can easily live online exclusively - they are practically already doing that for so many of us now.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 am

Curious... what doesn't make the Black Series a line of kids toys?

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”