Star Wars Figuarts!

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Figuarts!

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:01 am

I agree. I just messed around with it a bunch today and even posted a photo on Instagram. It's one of my absolute favorites.

That said, it has pretty bad range of movement on the legs (not a huge deal) and while the Hamill likeness is there in certain angles, it could be better. I have both the original release and the updated one from a couple years back with better face print tech, and it definitely helps, but I think a new sculpt could knock it out of the park.

And yeah, the major issue with the figure is lack of accessories. I know that Luke doesn't need much, but since he ran through so many variations of his outfit in RotJ, I think they could have stood to give us a tunic, and an unbuttoned version of his shirt like the Hasbro one. Maybe a swinging lightsaber effect?

But again, all of this could be remedied in a Mandalorian version instead so those who don't feel like they need to upgrade their RotJ version can skip it.
Benedict
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 am

*and a smaller head, it’s a little too big.
His Mando outfit is different from ROTJ + tunic look. It’s closer to prequel Jedi robes.

I cut some of the pelvis piece to let the legs move more. It already looked like boxers, now it’s briefs.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Considering that they are now releasing at most three figures a year and not announcing anything new, you might think that this line will be dead soon, like all the others. Where is all the other prototypes they showed? Where is Ahsoka? She will most likely change her costume on her own show, so why not release an existing design? They can do so much more, but they just don't want to.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:08 am

I got Armorer today, and I don't get the over engineered nitpicks, (I think if Black Series did the drop down single knee people would be raving about it and the debate over in that thread about double v single joints would finally end) but whatever different strokes. I think it's an excellent figure, so if this is the end, then congratulations to Bandai for absolutely dropping the ball with this line.

My hope is that they just weren't given reference material for season 2 Mando characters like Ahsoka, Boba, and Bo-Katan and that they're busy playing catch up.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:39 am

Benedict wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 am
*and a smaller head, it’s a little too big.
His Mando outfit is different from ROTJ + tunic look. It’s closer to prequel Jedi robes.

I cut some of the pelvis piece to let the legs move more. It already looked like boxers, now it’s briefs.
I'm not seeing the large head complaint, but yes, the Mandalorian look is specifically prequel era jedi tunic which is a fair bit longer than his Jabba's Palace tunic. Plus, he wears a shirt underneath the tunic in addition to the high collar shirt he wears in RotJ. Plus, of course, he wears his belt over the tunic, which he didn't in the actual film, since he had no need for a belt--R2 was carrying his lightsaber after all, and he wanted to at least appear unarmed.

OT-Customs has made a tunic and belt upgrade kit based on the Mandalorian design. I ordered it in January, and can't wait for it to arrive to use on one of my SHF Lukes.

I really hope Armorer wasn't the end of this line and just a short pause. :(
Benedict
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 am

74 figures over 6 years ≠ a dead line.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 am

When you frame it like that, yeah, it doesn’t look dead.

But with only 2 new figures and no promise of more on the way, after years of a declining amount of releases, things don’t look good.

I hope I’m wrong. I don’t want black series to be the only option in the 6 inch realm.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:00 pm

Technically there's still Mafex, but after a disappointing Mando supposedly, finally, releasing in May, they don't have any more Star Wars announced either.

That makes me wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes and Disney/Lucasfilm is trying to consolidate or something. I agree with A_S-M, Black Series is cool for the big character selection, and they've...gotten better in some areas (worse in others), but I want the option of SHF for the characters I really, really want and TBS can be more for side characters and the like.
g3rman1a
HULK SMASH!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 pm

I can't agree with you more Renanigans. The SHF line has always been my line of choice for the "main" characters in my collection. More options between the lines means more of a chance one company nails a character.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Definitely. And there's just no comparison between the feel in hand and posability of Figuarts compared to TBS. I spent a whole day off and on with my BS Ahsoka figure trying to get her into a decent pose without having her topple over. I never have that problem with an SHF.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm

Reinanigans wrote:
Definitely. And there's just no comparison between the feel in hand and posability of Figuarts compared to TBS. I spent a whole day off and on with my BS Ahsoka figure trying to get her into a decent pose without having her topple over. I never have that problem with an SHF.
I also like them significantly more than the more expensive Mafex line. Granted Mafex are usually more accurate and have lots of accessories, but they are just not as fun to play with and pose as SHF. The quality is just not there.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:53 pm

Threash wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm
Reinanigans wrote:
I also like them significantly more than the more expensive Mafex line. Granted Mafex are usually more accurate and have lots of accessories, but they are just not as fun to play with and pose as SHF. The quality is just not there.
I don't have any SW Mafex to compare (yet--I have Mando PO'd), but I have a few Batman/Joker figures from Mafex, and I agree that they don't feel good to pose. There's a fragility to them. I'm always worried they're gonna break (nothing broken so far! *knock on wood*)

Contrarily, Black Series figures feel like they're indestructible, but also don't feel fun to pose because they're so gummy. But that's not a big deal for a $20-25 figure compared to an $80 one.

Figuarts might not always nail the paint (too clean sometimes), but they're fun to pose and hold and can sometimes come with lots of accessories as well. The Beskar Mandalorian for example has almost too many accessories. I never know how I want to display him.

Gosh, this sounds like a eulogy for this line. I really hope this is just a short pause and we'll get a new solicitation soon.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:54 pm

FedEx has been bouncing my Armorer around the country all week. I was suppose to see delivery Monday. I usually have really good luck with FedEx. Not sure what's going on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bolingbroke
CROM!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm

Nobody can say the writing wasn’t on the wall. The only thing that kept the line going - in most people’s heads if nowhere else - was nothing more than good old American optimism.

‘The line’s dead? The line’s not dead! Last year they solicited fifteen figures and this year only five? So what! Doesn’t mean a thing! It will pick up again, you’ll see, you heathen unbeliever! Look at all those prototypes! Bandai takes its sweet time releasing figures, but we’ll get them all in the end!’

This went on everytime you’d point the obvious - ie that the line was going the same way as a hundred other Bandai lines. Now finally everyone’s coming to their senses. Lol, life’s not a Hollywood movie guys. No punching the air to the tune of Danger Zone in *this* story.
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 am

Haha, that's the most @$!%^#* version of an "I told you so" I've seen in a while, congrats!

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”