Star Wars Figuarts!

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
franky4fingers
Supports Digits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Star Wars Figuarts!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:00 am

Bandai wins!
franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Re: Star Wars Figuarts!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 am

better photo
mediaz75
Customized

Re: Star Wars Figuarts! not a misleading title!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 am

Hasbro's Black WHO??????
Piffy
The Fruity Guy

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:44 am

Whoah!
GreenGiant
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:40 am

WHAT!!???!! That's so crazy! Damn you Bannndaaaaiiiiii!
Imp
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 am

Hmmm. It's cool that there are increasingly more options but I can't imagine I'll be seeing any of the characters I'd actually want to buy in the scale. Mostly bounty hunters and such...
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 am

Damnit. So awesome, and so horrible. Awesome because I'm going to take the plunge, HARD. Horrible because $$$.

Between this, MAFEX, and The Black Series, it's like a freakin' wonderland of Star Wars collecting. I'm not picking a line, I'm going to have to go with all three. If these are in scale with Hasbro & MAFEX, it's going to be beautiful.

The Stormtroopers look like they're going to kick the Hasbro version in the ass: Superior articulation and incredible looking paint (yeah, I know they're prototypes, but Figuarts production figures have some incredible paint work). As for Vader, I'm thinking of part-swapping to make the perfect Vader: MAFEX body, and either Hasbro or Figuarts head. Pre order, please!
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 am

How is the articulation better on these? The sculpts don't look better, I don't like the helmets on the troopers. I'm not even sure what the point of making so many 6" lines from different companies is. Granted I don't have any MAFEX or Figuarts figures, but I have the Revoltech movie Iron Men, and I hate the articulation on them. Is this the same kind of modular joint set up? And how much will they be? At least double the price of SWBS figures I imagine. Should be fun to troop build imports.
franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:22 pm

NORM wrote:How is the articulation better on these? The sculpts don't look better, I don't like the helmets on the troopers. I'm not even sure what the point of making so many 6" lines from different companies is. Granted I don't have any MAFEX or Figuarts figures, but I have the Revoltech movie Iron Men, and I hate the articulation on them. Is this the same kind of modular joint set up? And how much will they be? At least double the price of SWBS figures I imagine. Should be fun to troop build imports.
oh man, norm. i think you'd love figuarts on articulation alone. here's a review from a trustable source

http://www.cooksux.com/review-figuarts- ... se-states/

as for price, the only advice i can give you is never buy imports from america. the new bio rider figuart was up for 28 bucks at amiami and 36 at bbts for comparison
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:04 pm

I only have 2 Figuarts figures, but based on those alone I can tell you the articulation is light-years beyond what Hasbro is producing. The same goes for the paint quality & detail and the quality of the plastic.

The figuarts use a few cuts on some figures, but the joints are mostly modular. They're constructed of a sturdy but non-brittle type of ABS plastic that seems highly resistant to impact & warping. The joints are durable and firm, with a smooth action instead of the ratcheting used by revoltech joints. The number & placement of joints allows figures to strike poses that most Hasbro figures can't match, and without horribly breaking up the sculpt of the figure. Imagine a Stormtrooper that can actually get down in a one-knee firing pose, or cross its arms in front of its chest, or, if you're feeling really crazy, strike a ninja high-kick pose. Figuarts articulation make this possible.

The poses in this photo?
franky4fingers wrote:Image

better photo
You'd be hard-pressed to make a Hasbro Stormtrooper strike these poses, especially the one held by the figure on the far right. The construction of the joint where the arm joins the torso, along with the apparent POAs in the shoulder/upper arm and wrist offer more possibilities than Hasbro.

It might not be readily apparent on monochromatic figures like the Troopers & Vader, but the quality & consistency of the painting on Figuarts is phenomenal. No issues with paint-splash or derpy eyes, and even the shading & level of detail on the tiniest parts is done so that the figures look more like movie-quality miniatures or props than simplistic toys.

The quality of the material used is also superior to Hasbro. The bulk of the figures are made of a dense, solid plastic that seems to be a weird, super-firm variant of the rubbery plastic used by Hasbro. It isn't ABS, but it holds shape & detail like ABS. It also DOESN'T WARP and it DOESN'T STICK. No need to worry about stuck elbows or knees, or extremities that are warped into weird configurations. No need to break out the hairdryer to re-position or loosen joints.
Poe Ghostal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Well, first off it's probably important to note that all that high quality comes with a price. The upcoming S.H. Figuarts Iron Man is $75 at BBTS (you can get it for $50 at AmiAmi, or you would if it weren't pre-sold out, but then you'd have to pay the shipping, which will likely cost you at least $20-$30).

Also worth noting that "the poses in that photo" for the Stormtroopers at least, are stand-assisted. This is very common with SHF.

Honestly, I've owned a number of Tamashii figures, and I've ended up being disappointed in all of them.

First off, as we see on these figures, they tend to be at least 10% anime-ized, leaving them looking a little cartoony. I definitely see it on the Vader, particularly on the sculpted cloth parts.

As for articulation, my other experience with Tamashii figures - specifically Ultra-Act Ultraman and S.H. MonsterArts Alien and Predator - is that all the joints tend to be kind of loose, and more importantly, all the interchangeable parts tend to pop off easily or (in the case of Ultraman) feel very brittle. Getting the SHMA Predator into a good pose without any of his accessories or alternate hands falling off in the process was like playing Jenga. If you're not used to collecting Japanese figures, this can be really frustrating. It gave me a new appreciation for American figures, honestly.

It's worth noting Fwoosh's own review shows that SHF Iron Man was a little short compared to Hasbro: http://thefwoosh.com/2013/08/bandai-s-h ... an-mark-vi Or look at today's review of the Alien Big Chap, which is exactly 6" tall, and then look at it next to the S.H. Figuarts White Ranger: http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/bandai-s-h ... n-big-chap

It's entirely possible SHF Vader will look small next to SWB6".

Also, I wonder how expansive a potential S.H. Figuarts line could be. As far as I know, the only "realistic" likeness they've ever done (i.e., not an armored/masked character or an anime character) in S.H. Figuarts is Michael Jackson, which isn't a great example since he was kind of cartoonish-looking already.

Their Marvel SHF hasn't extended past Iron Men yet, either. So I'm curious whether we'd ever get anything out of a Star Wars SHF line other than Vader, Stormtroopers, Clone troopers, Boba Fett, R2D2 & C-3P0, General Grievous, etc. If they ain't doing Han Solo, I ain't gonna collecting it.

Not saying this isn't exciting and all, but I'm sticking with SWB6" until I see enough to change my mind.
franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

your estimate on shipping is way high compared to what i pay. boston must be a terrible place to live for foreign shipping
Poe Ghostal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

franky4fingers wrote:your estimate on shipping is way high compared to what i pay. boston must be a terrible place to live for foreign shipping
You're right - I was basing it on my experience with stuff like the S.H.MonsterArts kaiju, which have fairly large boxes. Have it shipped SAL and it'll be competitive, although not every Japanese site has AmiAmi's prices. Basically, if these don't get officially imported and you don't want to pay through the nose, you'll either have to do some online research or watch sites AmiAmi like a hawk for the pre-orders, since they sell out fast.
franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm

that makes far more sense. i was thinking never move to boston if i keep collecting this stuff :lol:
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:
Also worth noting that "the poses in that photo" for the Stormtroopers at least, are stand-assisted. This is very common with SHF.
I was referring to the articulation of the figures, which isn't dependent on the figure stands.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”