MAFEX Star Wars

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Star Wars

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am

Rageasaurus wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:42 pm
They definitely nailed the proportions. I think I might like the Figuarts paint apps slightly better though.

Size and shape of the helmet look good but idk the “T” looks a little off. I’m still looking forward to having him in hand prob next week..I’m praying they continue the SW line if Figuarts is really done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The proportions look good, and I'm glad it's about the same size as the figuarts.

The figuarts looks really odd there, though. It doesn't really look bad to me in person, and the paint apps are great on it.

Looking forward to getting this figure, but I'm hoping the figuarts blaster works with this, because the pink gun is odd.
Rageasaurus
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Amazing_Spider-Man wrote:
Rageasaurus wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:42 pm
They definitely nailed the proportions. I think I might like the Figuarts paint apps slightly better though.

Size and shape of the helmet look good but idk the “T” looks a little off. I’m still looking forward to having him in hand prob next week..I’m praying they continue the SW line if Figuarts is really done.

The proportions look good, and I'm glad it's about the same size as the figuarts.

The figuarts looks really odd there, though. It doesn't really look bad to me in person, and the paint apps are great on it.

Looking forward to getting this figure, but I'm hoping the figuarts blaster works with this, because the pink gun is odd.
Isaac Wong always poses figures weird lol. With the custom extended neck peg, Figuarts one is really good. I thought about selling off one or the other but I’ll probably keep both now.

MickJohnson
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 am

I don’t own the figure, but going off the comparison pictures on the last page, I’d say it’s a tight battle between the Mafex and the Black Series. The SHF one is awkward and weird. Even with a longer neck it’s still all wrong, so it’s firmly in last place.

The Mafex has by far the best cape, although it could do with some roughing up at the bottom, but I love how it’s tucked in under the chest plate. Plus the helmet sculpt is slightly better than the BS one. It probably articulates more too. Overall they’ve nailed a nice relaxed look to the overall shaping of the figure.

However the BS one is just so damn good for its price. All the details are there and the undersuit texturing is awesome. It only falls in how smooth and shiny the armour is compared to the others, the plastic cape, and possibly in the articulation. If money was a factor it’s the easy winner. If money was not a factor… well, it’s a damn close battle.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

MAFEX Star Wars

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 am

Glad amiami let me cancel this without a hassle and keep my other POs for this month. Between the neckpeg for the SHF and the helmet and cape upgrades for TBS, I’ve got two Mandos I like a lot more than this Mafex.

Maybe their second try will be better, like with the Nolan Batman and C-3PO.
Parintachin73
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:41 pm

My Mafex is coming in 2 days and I can’t wait. I like my Figuarts version with longer neck peg but the Mafex looks just like the actor in the suit. The BS is alright for the price but the helmet is awful and the paint is not great. I have confidence in Mafex overall. The only crap figure I’ve gotten from them was the original 3PO and EVERYONE got a crap figure in that set. Their Phasma is the best as is their BB8. You can make a case for R2 as well. I expect this to be the best Mando figure out there period, until they release v.2 lol
AgentLionel
HULK SMASH!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 pm

I got my Mando in this morning and so far I'm having a big problem with the figure coming apart at the waist. It's supposed to pull apart so you can swap out an alternative belt/shoulder strap set (that's the way they engineered the rifle attachment), but mine comes apart with little to no effort. If I try to pose him, I have to constantly put downward pressure from the chest to hips or else he will fall apart in half. Wondering if I got a dud and should look into a replacement, or if this will be a common issue.
AgentLionel
HULK SMASH!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Ooof. Mine is going to have to go back, hopefully I can swap out for a functioning figure, though I'm guessing the best I can hope for is store credit since there won't be a lot of these floating around for a while. It just won't stay together at the waist and has only gotten worse. I pulled out the peg from the top torso to see if the problem was with the middle belly piece not fitting within the top torso chamber, causing friction and popping the waist apart. It's a tight fit in there with his belly armor. The friction doesn't help, but it isn't the main problem. The socket in the middle belly piece isn't machined well enough to grip the ball & peg firmly. Just rotating the peg gently in a circular motion causes the ball to pop out of the socket, even without the top torso attached. This might be a standard problem with this figure, or it could just be mine. It was made to come apart, and maybe they made the socket extra loose to prevent a peg snap. A possible fix would be to take out the socket in the belly piece and replace it with some sort of third party ball/peg/socket installation. For now though, I can't really do anything with this guy, which is a shame. He does look beautiful.
MickJohnson
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:15 am

I'd say contact the manufacturer or local distributor, not the retailer, as they're likely to not care and won't put effort into sourcing a replacement. Further up the chain might care slightly more, and you might be in luck.
Freditor
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:50 am

Mando review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4A_wY ... l=DorkLair

He looks pretty fantastic. Only thing bugging me is the pink blaster
Benedict
CROM!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:13 pm

AgentLionel wrote:
Ooof. Mine is going to have to go back, hopefully I can swap out for a functioning figure, though I'm guessing the best I can hope for is store credit since there won't be a lot of these floating around for a while. It just won't stay together at the waist and has only gotten worse. I pulled out the peg from the top torso to see if the problem was with the middle belly piece not fitting within the top torso chamber, causing friction and popping the waist apart. It's a tight fit in there with his belly armor. The friction doesn't help, but it isn't the main problem. The socket in the middle belly piece isn't machined well enough to grip the ball & peg firmly. Just rotating the peg gently in a circular motion causes the ball to pop out of the socket, even without the top torso attached. This might be a standard problem with this figure, or it could just be mine. It was made to come apart, and maybe they made the socket extra loose to prevent a peg snap. A possible fix would be to take out the socket in the belly piece and replace it with some sort of third party ball/peg/socket installation. For now though, I can't really do anything with this guy, which is a shame. He does look beautiful.
You’d have to contact the store you bought from, from my experience you usually have to take a photo of the defective parts with the shipping label from the box it came it, they’ll send out a replacement part which could take upto 2 weeks.
Contacting Medicom from overseas doesn’t work, they’ll only directly deal with customers in Japan.
Reinanigans
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah, about those replacement parts…

You hate to see it.
AgentLionel
HULK SMASH!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Freditor wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:50 am
Mando review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4A_wY ... l=DorkLair

He looks pretty fantastic. Only thing bugging me is the pink blaster
It's definitely a strange choice, would love to anecdotally know why that happened. That said... I think I prefer it to the show colors?? Kinda brightens up the ensemble, just like his orange fingers.
AgentLionel
HULK SMASH!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Benedict wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:13 pm
AgentLionel wrote:
You’d have to contact the store you bought from, from my experience you usually have to take a photo of the defective parts with the shipping label from the box it came it, they’ll send out a replacement part which could take upto 2 weeks.
Contacting Medicom from overseas doesn’t work, they’ll only directly deal with customers in Japan.
I reached out and got a reply that they are contacting the manufacturer. I'm not holding out a lot of hope but we'll see. I might be able to do some surgery on him and make him better than new, if I can figure out how to replace the belly socket with something that cups the ball better, something similar to what's in his chest. I don't think I need the belt/strap swap feature, I'll just rig up a holster for the rifle on my own and never take his torso apart again.
Freditor
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Reinanigans wrote:

You hate to see it.
Weird that that YouTuber didn't seem to have any issues... an he bent the leg on camera.
AgentLionel
HULK SMASH!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Freditor wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm
Reinanigans wrote:

You hate to see it.
Weird that that YouTuber didn't seem to have any issues... an he bent the leg on camera.
I'm not really sure how that guy broke the leg? It sounds like he is rotating the knee joint in a circular way, which I don't think it's engineered to do. I think it just bends, and the rotation is supposed to happen at the thigh, like in a human body.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”