G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:10 am

This thread is to discuss the Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 am

It seems like they're finally starting to get a handle on this line.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:25 am

I like these, but it feels like the pendulum has swung a little too far the other way, now; I feel like they've passed through the sweet spot. The Cobra Infantry, Baroness, Snake-Eyes, and Bludd were all amazing; modern takes on classic designs. I'll definitely get these, but I wouldn't have been sad to see slightly more updated take on Tomax and Xamot.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:38 am

I love that Stalker. Can't wait to throw him in the ranks.

The twins I can pass on. Fun villains, but not my thing.

I agree that the modernized designs had a cool thing going, barring some early stumbles. I just don't know what I'd be looking for in an updated Xamot and Tomax. For me, I enjoy the modernized Cobra vs the mostly Classic Joes. Adds to the contrast. Like Stalker or Commando Snake Eyes vs the new Troopers and Vipers is a cool visual tale.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:21 am

Nothing against anyone else who likes these individual threads for Classified figures, but do we really need to separate everything. Browsing a single thread is more enjoyable and less monotonous than trying to keep up with all these separately.

That said, Stalker's face and beret look good. I even like the keffiyeh, I just wish the figure was a little more colorful uniform-wise. Breaker was probably one of the most bland designs overall in terms of color variations, so hopefully the color variations on this figure will be more apparent when it's not in CGI form.
The Scream Man
Throw Another DCUC on the Barbie!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 am

I like Stalker, but like Samael said I feel like they have shifted away from the modern Aesthetic that I loved so much. Ive accepted Im losing the cool Sci Fi guns, but now the uniforms are reverting back to just being big 80's figures? That going to lose my interest as time goes on...
piggyv01
CROM!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:47 am

Stalker almost looks like he belongs in a different line to the twins.
minitaur
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:55 am

JTMarsh wrote:
Nothing against anyone else who likes these individual threads for Classified figures, but do we really need to separate everything. Browsing a single thread is more enjoyable and less monotonous than trying to keep up with all these separately.
Personally I find it far less monotonous to have multiple threads because I’m not interested in being a completionist. I don’t want eyebrow cartoon destro. So if I can avoid that discussion by only going to individual threads on figures I want, that leads to more enjoyment of the forum.

Also a new person seeing a 500 page single thread is daunting. And there’s no great way on a web browser at least so skip to say, 2 weeks ago. You would have to go back a few pages at a time.

And finally, this is the GI Joe sub forum, and idk about everyone else but in my opinion, in 2022, GI Joe Classified is 95% of the entire GI Joe license in terms of interest. I think the ratio of people interested in classified is probably 20 to 1 or even higher compared to 3 3/4 o-ring, or S7 ultimates cartoon figures, or S7 non-o-ring 3 3/4” figures.

So we could have a single 500 page thread for the most popular gi joe line or have multiple threads which better represents how important classified is to the license. Personally, I had zero interest in GI Joe for the last 20+ years until Classified renewed my interest. I’m biased but I think classified is the big reason people are into the license. So more classified posts the better! Much like how the Marvel Forum has 95% of posts are about individual threads about Marvel Legends and then Diamond Select has their one single thread, or Mafex has their own single thread. Because Legends is 99% of the figures that Marvel collectors buy in 2022.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 am

The Scream Man wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 am
I like Stalker, but like Samael said I feel like they have shifted away from the modern Aesthetic that I loved so much. Ive accepted Im losing the cool Sci Fi guns, but now the uniforms are reverting back to just being big 80's figures? That going to lose my interest as time goes on...
Count me in for that too.

While I didn't like the nerf guns I did like the little additions and updates. And I came to love the cohesiveness of the JoePro.

It is still there, Storm Shadow has some of those additions, Breaker does too with the communications helmet. I think HA Roadblock was the start of the new direction.

Zartan and Major Bludd are probably the two best figures in the line. They should be the rule.

I don't see the point of having retro figures in the main line, especially when they have a dedicated line for that now. But the accessories and finished designs of the latest reveals may show us more than what we think.
The Scream Man

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am

Spirit has the Joe Pro at least.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:31 pm

I like the modernized looks after the first wave. Agreed that Major Bludd was particularly well designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:09 pm

As someone who was upset when they first showed Snake Eyes and he didn’t have his ankle pouches, I’m all for upscaled cardback/vintage designs.

Hopefully Stalker is just too shadowed here. I saw a pic of him just lightened up and it looked great.
KvHulk
Super Poseable

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
Agreed.
I know if I have anything to add I'll be saying it in the main Classified thread. No reason to thread hop for a few opinions.
thewyldman
Super Poseable

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:14 pm

piggyv01 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:47 am
Stalker almost looks like he belongs in a different line to the twins.
The original 13 and the rest of ARAH have always looked like different lines. Putting stalker in a line with the twins really highlights that.
The Scream Man

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 am

KvHulk wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
JTMarsh wrote:
Agreed.
I know if I have anything to add I'll be saying it in the main Classified thread. No reason to thread hop for a few opinions.
I dont. Its nice to be able to pick a thread and discuss the actual figures I want to talk about rather than all of them. Or, more commonly, why people havent found them yet and ZOMG Hasbro distribution sucks.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”