G.I. Joe Classified Haslab

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
canprime
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Haslab

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:56 pm
The original Skystriker toy was significantly undersized for an F14, at 22.5" from tip to tail. If they scaled that up to 1/12, it would be 33.75", which, while significantly under 5', is still nothing to sneeze at.
So slightly longer than Galactus is tall (32"). Not factoring wingspan when the wings are deployed. And more than a foot shorter than the Khetanna.

I guess the question is do they do a straight up scale of the new Haslab Skystriker for Classified, or do they attempt to make it closer to scale? Not that I think they will do a Classified scale Skystriker any time soon.

I wonder what they seriously considered for a Classified Haslab? I mean the number of Joe vehicles is vast, but once you have to apply a business model to them it becomes a significantly smaller list.

Also when they finally do get around to a Classified Haslab I'm sure the comparisons to the Roboskull Kickstarter will be fast and furious. :D Definitely more so than the Skystriker.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:58 pm

The Khetanna benefits from being a vehicle that is basically a bunker/playset, though. You can display a lot more figures on it than you can in a Skystriker.
maczero
CROM!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:56 pm
The original Skystriker toy was significantly undersized for an F14, at 22.5" from tip to tail. If they scaled that up to 1/12, it would be 33.75", which, while significantly under 5', is still nothing to sneeze at.
At 33.75" it would be in the same league as Jabba's sail barge or Galactus, so a Haslab is feasible. Although, now I'm thinking a vehicle that size loses some of it's playability. Back when I was kid, I could hold a rattler and a skystriker in each of my hands to create awesome dogfights. Can't see being able to do this with toys the size of toddlers. Not to mention, the fear of dropping a several hundred dollar piece of plastic. I guess I can see why playsets might be a better choice than large vehicles when it comes to Haslab projects.
fletch137
Super Poseable

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 am

I haven't seen any official measurements of this SkyStriker, but trying to eyeball it off of the 3 3/4" figures next to it, it looks about 2'4"? If that's 1/18 scale, then this same design upscaled for 1/12 would be about 3'6". Depending on my eyeball, of course.
Xnbach
HULK SMASH!

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:34 am

I don’t think a HISS Tank needs to be Galactus-priced. It’s not like they were massive tanks, especially if you look at the original toys, they were closer to the Bullet Farmer’s car in Fury Road than anything else. If Marvel Legends can sell a Jeep for 50 bucks, they should be able to put out a decent HISS tank for a hundred or so. Throw in a driver and a gunner and some other bells and whistles, call it $200 tops. Think of the pricing for the Star Wars Black Series TIE fighter.

There’s a bunch of vehicles that are basically truck-sized, like the Ghosthawk or Armadillo or even the FANG that Hasbro should be able to pop out for under $200. Save the Haslab for something like the Dragonfly which would probably end up three feet long or so, or the Killer Whale that would take up the same amount of shelf space as Jamba’s barge. Both of those also have the advantage of being vehicles you can fit multiple figures in as opposed to one of the jets that would be a whole lot of shelf space for a vehicle only one figure can use.
maczero
CROM!

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:07 am

Xnbach wrote:
If Marvel Legends can sell a Jeep for 50 bucks, they should be able to put out a decent HISS tank for a hundred or so. Throw in a driver and a gunner and some other bells and whistles, call it $200 tops. Think of the pricing for the Star Wars Black Series TIE fighter.
What is this $50 Marvel Legends jeep you're referring to?

Even if I were a hardcore Classified fan, there's no way I'd pay $200 for a HISS tank. BTW, I came across that Tie Fighter at Ross (or maybe it was Marshalls). Anyway, it was going for about $50. Did Hasbro have trouble selling them because usually anything at Ross is unsold stock from the bigger retailers?
Darthgaar
Super Poseable

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 am

Xnbach wrote:
I don’t think a HISS Tank needs to be Galactus-priced. It’s not like they were massive tanks, especially if you look at the original toys, they were closer to the Bullet Farmer’s car in Fury Road than anything else. If Marvel Legends can sell a Jeep for 50 bucks, they should be able to put out a decent HISS tank for a hundred or so. Throw in a driver and a gunner and some other bells and whistles, call it $200 tops. Think of the pricing for the Star Wars Black Series TIE fighter.

There’s a bunch of vehicles that are basically truck-sized, like the Ghosthawk or Armadillo or even the FANG that Hasbro should be able to pop out for under $200. Save the Haslab for something like the Dragonfly which would probably end up three feet long or so, or the Killer Whale that would take up the same amount of shelf space as Jamba’s barge. Both of those also have the advantage of being vehicles you can fit multiple figures in as opposed to one of the jets that would be a whole lot of shelf space for a vehicle only one figure can use.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I just bought the World of Halo Mantis that retails for $40 and that thing is massive, has complex assembly with multiple articulated joints, descent paint apps, is licensed, and even comes with a figure! A Vamp shouldn't have that much more plastic or complexity compared to the 1:18 scale Mantis; and Hasbro owns the license, a 1:12 Vamp shouldn't cost more than $50 and the 1:12 Hiss shouldn't cost more than $70 without Driver figures included. Throw in the drivers at $20 apiece and make multiple repaints to drive production cost down.
There's no reason to make those two vehicles Ha$lab.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”