G.I. Joe x Super7

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe x Super7

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:01 am

For me, Ultimates will hinge on a similar commitment to oddballs and one offs as the Transformers Ultimates.

Crimson Cadet Deming, Fatal Fluffies, the Cobra Trooper Polar Bear, Bikini Baroness, Kwinn, Scarface Cobra Trooper, Cobra Defense Contractor with Shipwreck and Snake Eyes heads, Quick Kick's girlfriend Amber, Grid-Iron, Manimals, Ninja Flint...
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm

I can't imagine Reaction Joes looking like anything but horrible knockoff Mexican bootlegs of the 80s figures with all the articulation removed.

I think the Reaction/Kenner style definitely works for a lot of properties; but for GI Joe it's an enormous step back. We HAD vintage Joe figures in the 80s, and they were vastly superior to the 5 POA figures that preceded them. I think Reaction only really "works" for stuff that never got made that should have been, like Back to the Future, Dark Crystal, etc.

Ultimates could totally work for me though, IF they start from scratch with a slimmer base body than that awful bulky old MOTUC body they seem to base all their stuff on. I'd love a Storm Shadow that looks like he stepped off the 1980s Sunbow model sheets; not a He-Man figure painted up as Storm Shadow.

Based on the Silverhawks renders that were just revealed, it LOOKS like they're gonna start sculpting stuff from scratch and not use that old buck, so maybe there's a good chance.
MankindRam
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Funny I adore that MOTUC body and often miss it when they don’t use it. Silver hawks do look fantastic though!
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm

I think it's a great sculpt for what it is/was....works really well for He-Man, and even worked for a few DC characters like Dark Knight Returns Mutant Leader. But it's clearly not a "one size fits all" buck. I thought it looked all wrong for Lion-O.
WildBill
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Howdy Y'all! First ever Fwoosh post here...

I ended up liking the Transformers ReAction figures more than I thought I would. I have them all now except for the Def Jam Soundwave variant that was priced out too high by the time I got around to picking the others up. G.I. Joe does seem an odder choice for the ReAction treatment though because of the relative size to the original figures, but not being them. I guess I'll just have to see what my favorite characters look like when they get around to them.

I love the Super7 Ultimates I have though and am excited about the possibility of getting G.I. Joe in that format. Wouldn't be surprised if Super7 came out swinging with Fatal Fluffies in the first wave. I could also see the first waves bringing us characters like Chuckles and Croc Master. Whatever they do, I look forward to seeing it!
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 am

os189 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm
I think it's a great sculpt for what it is/was....works really well for He-Man, and even worked for a few DC characters like Dark Knight Returns Mutant Leader. But it's clearly not a "one size fits all" buck. I thought it looked all wrong for Lion-O.
They didn't use it for Shredder or any of the TMNT figures. I think they mainly did it for Thundercats and Conan to encourage line mixing with MOTUC and because Mattel had already done it with Lion-O.

I can see using it for Sgt. Slaughter or even Serpentor but think standard Joes really ought to hew closer to 6.5" and be more slender by comparison.
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:49 pm

OMG Serpentor.........
Handsome
CROM!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Damnit, I thought this announcement was June 15th. Have to wait another month...
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:45 pm

AHHHH its not today? LOL! I was periodically checking the Super7 website! oh man.
T'Chaka
Super Poseable

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 pm

I know reactions have been announced, but could Super 7 be doing vehicles or playsets for 1/12 figures or do they only make these for they're ultimate line. And what would an ultimate line of gi joe look like, a 6 to 7 inch version of original rah line?
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 pm

T'Chaka wrote:
I know reactions have been announced, but could Super 7 be doing vehicles or playsets for 1/12 figures or do they only make these for they're ultimate line. And what would an ultimate line of gi joe look like, a 6 to 7 inch version of original rah line?
They were concerned for lack of interest in vehicles at the Reaction scale, which is why they've only done Battlecat. They said the closest they got to considering it was the BTTF Delorean. A big problem is that a lot of Reaction collectors only display mint on card, I think.
Fred Ricchio
Super Poseable

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:51 am

T'Chaka wrote:
And what would an ultimate line of gi joe look like, a 6 to 7 inch version of original rah line?
This is what I'm wondering as well, and I'm not even sure what I personally would want. For most characters I think I'd prefer them to be based on the original card art/action figures, but there's a few where I'd prefer the cartoon look. So I guess "my" Ultimates line would be a mix and match, and I doubt they'd do that.
Matthew K
nah, pass

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm

I would guess that Ultimates GI Joe would stick close to RAH cartoon style with MOTUC style articulation and size. Not that they would be super buff, but they would be larger figures closer to 7 inch scale than six. I'm so curious to see what they do.
Toy Hound
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:13 am

And if Super7 did G.I.Joe Ultimates! maybe we would finally see classified in store. Personally, I’m down for both!
Handsome
CROM!

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:20 am

I said I was happy enough with Classified figures.. but now that I think about it, I would want GI Joe Ultimates.

I collected Real Ghostbusters, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Masters of the Universe, and GI Joe figures as a kid. If we are getting Ultimates, that would mean we could get all of those lines minus the Ghostbusters in the same scale, which is literally what kid me dreamed of. I hated how tiny my Joes were compared to my Turtles.

Plus Diamond Select did make some 7" scale Real Ghostbusters figures a while back, so I guess I could hunt those down and get my full '80s childhood in the same scale.

I know Silverhawk fans were upset that they went with the cartoon version over the toy versions for the Ultimates.. for GI Joe, I wouldn't be too picky either way except for Snake Eyes. He's gotta be the toy version. He was in a blue costume on the cartoon, he's gotta be in black.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”