G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Movie Figures

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe Snake Eyes Movie Figures

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Ro-El wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm
I’ll pass on these at full price but if they hit $10 or below, I’ll pick them up.
C’mon Five Below.. let’s get these to the clearance market pronto.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:45 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Ro-El wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm
I’ll pass on these at full price but if they hit $10 or below, I’ll pick them up.
C’mon Five Below.. let’s get these to the clearance market pronto.
I don't wanna pay full price for most of these either but its bad news for the Classified line as a whole if these get clearanced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:52 pm

chaosMonkeyPoo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:31 pm
I just saw the movie last night and.... its not particularly good. Also makes me completely baffled how much marketing material and the toys feature that visored snake eyes costume when in the movie... well y'all will see for yourself.

Oh man, let me guess it is either only shown at the very end or for the final battle. I guess you get Henry's face for most of the movie? Luckily, Target didn't get enough of these figures to fulfill online preorders. Got a delay notice that figures have been pushed back from early August to October 9th so I canceled them. Seriously, nobody going to be buying movie figures 3 months after the movie was release. It will be long gone from the theaters and off everyone's radar. Not producing enough to fulfill preorders is going to hurt Hasbro in the long run with these. You got to strike when there is buzz around the movie before people actually see it. This worked for all the Star Wars sequels. Seriously, if I had watch the movies first I wouldn't have bought a single figure to remind me how disappointing those movies were.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:21 pm

The only option now is to link Joe to a Hasbro Cinematic Universe. I can see a Monopoly Movie post credits scene where Cobra Commander's secret identity is revealed as Mr. Moneybags.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:55 pm

madflava wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:52 pm
chaosMonkeyPoo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:31 pm
I just saw the movie last night and.... its not particularly good. Also makes me completely baffled how much marketing material and the toys feature that visored snake eyes costume when in the movie... well y'all will see for yourself.

Oh man, let me guess it is either only shown at the very end or for the final battle. I guess you get Henry's face for most of the movie? Luckily, Target didn't get enough of these figures to fulfill online preorders. Got a delay notice that figures have been pushed back from early August to October 9th so I canceled them. Seriously, nobody going to be buying movie figures 3 months after the movie was release. It will be long gone from the theaters and off everyone's radar. Not producing enough to fulfill preorders is going to hurt Hasbro in the long run with these. You got to strike when their is buzz around the movie before people actually see it. This worked for all the Star Wars sequels. Seriously, if I had watch the movies first I wouldn't have bought a single figure to remind me how disappointing those movies were.
Well....
Spoiler! :
Yeah, it shows up for literally the very end of the film AFTER everything has been resolved. He wears it for all of like 5-10 seconds and most of that is in the trailer. Why the hell would they market the movie around a look thats not really present in the film is an overwhelmingly dumb decision. Either DON'T lean your movies promotion on that look or have him put it on for the final climactic battle. Also, while less egregious - those rad trench knives with the cool pattern on the blade that all the main Snake Eyes toys feature? Not in the movie at all. So we got a Classified figure of Snake Eyes in a movie based costume that he really doesn't ever wear featuring weapons he never has or uses in the film. It's not a criminal offense or anything, its just really really strange. But its approaching Star Wars Black Series "General Zuvio" levels of "movie tie in" material.

It's not a great movie as a whole but that sort of poor decision making is all over this film. Shame too because theres absolutely some strong moments and acting.
I came off as really down on it on that earlier post but I DO think it sets up a real GI Joe movie relatively well plot wise, and theres some good acting (the Storm Shadow performance for the most part is a high point). I liked liked Akiko a lot more than I expected too, even if she features in what may be the absolute worst looking stunt in the whole movie. Not enough to be excited about her figure, but as a character within the story she's pretty cool.

Overall the weak plot direction, some flat out bad acting and fighting (mostly due to overuse of shaky cam) left me feeling down on the experience as a whole. I have to also say that while I have some legitimate gripes, my personal opinions on how Joe should be portrayed is 100% influencing my overall feelings on it and to most people lot of issues I have probably won't be a problem. I really do hope it does well, I'm certainly going to see it again, and fingers crossed its successful to warrant sequels because theres some good groundwork laid.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Well with Classifieds selling the way it is currently, it will probably be ok whether or not the movie figures do great. Sure the rollouts may be slower for Classifieds(it’s already slow as is lol) but I think it will still chuck along way after these movie figures leave the big store retail shelves.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:31 pm

I like Henry Golding. He did ok. Hardmaster was my favorite part of the film. But I don’t want a figure. His training with Hardmaster while kind of telegraphed was interesting. He kicked lots of butt in the film.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Saw a couple of Snake-eyes figures at my local Target in Taunton, MA, my first sighting of any of the movie figs.

movie currently at 40% among critics on rotten tomatoes, altho of course the movie could be successful anyhow. I do hope that the action figure line will continue regardless but it seems like retailers are much more enthusiastic about stocking lines that have popular/successful media tie-ins. guess time will tell.
Matthew K
nah, pass

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 pm

We do have a forum to discuss movies:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=94134
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:32 pm

madflava wrote: This worked for all the Star Wars sequels. Seriously, if I had watch the movies first I wouldn't have bought a single figure to remind me how disappointing those movies were.
How true that is. Sadder yet I'm slow to learn that lesson.
PresidentJuggernaut
Customized

Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 am

They screwed the pooch not getting these toys on shelves before people were able to see the movie. I saw it this afternoon and hoooo boy... not going to get the people excited for merchandise...
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 am

I’m really surprised Hasbro approved the film getting moved up if they couldn’t get toys on shelves in time. I mean this is meant to be a giant toy commercial after all. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t have a warehouse full of these ready to go for the 2020 release date.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:21 pm

I wonder if the multimedia failures will have any impact on the Classified line in general? The video game was pretty much a flop and the movie isn't looking to be received any better. I think current corporate conventional wisdom is you need this multimedia exposure and success for a toy line to succeed.

I think Joes seem to be doing well despite Hasbro's fumbling in the distribution and bad game and movie. They also backed down from the loud game colors and did some reissues like Scarlett in better colors. So maybe they are slowly waking up and listening to what the customers have been trying to tell them since before Classified even launched. I wonder going forward what their approach will be.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:35 pm

I, for one, really enjoyed the movie. Given where the story starts and stops, I found everything to be appropriate. Really great acting. The figure I want most coming out of the film is actually Akiko.
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Buttmunch wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 am
I’m really surprised Hasbro approved the film getting moved up if they couldn’t get toys on shelves in time. I mean this is meant to be a giant toy commercial after all. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t have a warehouse full of these ready to go for the 2020 release date.
The October toy release date seems to line up with the original November movie release date. Not sure why they moved it up to July when people are just starting to go back into the theaters and the competition is at an all time high. I doubt Hasbro had much influence and Paramount is responsible for the change. Unfortunately, the movie toys are probably going to be screwed. Buzz around the movie is already dying off. Toys should be on the shelf a month or two out before the movie comes out.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”