G.I. Joe 3.75" Retro Line 2020-?

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe 3.75" Retro Line 2020-?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:33 pm

canprime wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:36 pm
W.O.M. wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 pm
I've understood and accepted since the 1997 Toys R Us exclusives that the tooling/mold for V2 Snake Eyes was long gone. But I really hoped that at this point with technology that they would find away to recreate the figure, especially for something like this with that price tag. Had it included a complete V2 Snakes repro, I would have ordered 2 sets at least.
Has there been any somewhat concrete info about the state of molds for ARAH in recent years?

Obviously the vehicles have had some updates, and/or maintenance since we see the same vehicles over and over again. However when was the last time we saw the O-Ring figures? I thought I heard that Hasbro had decided to destroy most of the old molds due to cost.
Some of the ARAH molds were used in the early 2000s. There were releasing "new sculpt" O-Ring style figures but often older figures would appear re-released and often Frankenjoe'd, which was assumed at the time that various pieces were missing. So someone would show up with new legs, or a different torso piece or whatever.

In 2007 when the 25th line started, all those O-Ring figures stopped.

The last time Hasbro officially ran any ARAH sculpts was the 2008 GI Joe Club Con figures. But those has a hodgepodge of pieces in them. As an example, they did a "vintage" Cobra BAT, but it featured BAT v.2 torso and waist, original BAT head and lower arms, with completely different shoulders and legs from some other figure.

Was the tooling not available? Did the Club not have the cash to pay for them to be cleaned up and ran? Hard to say for sure, but supposedly lots of pieces were missing, destroyed, etc through the years.

And that's been over a decade ago.

But there are 3rd party people who have been making bootleg Joes for years. One wonders if they have copies of Hasbro's old molds. It wouldn't be that hard for Hasbro to replicate that process if they wanted to.

O-Ring is back because it's the one big market that's exploded in recent years and Hasbro has shown no interest in doing anything with. After the success of several Kickstarters, third party figures and other lines, I suspect Hasbro decided to finally cash in.
mikeysee
Customized

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Fly4v wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:00 am
So have between now and midnight December 7th to decide on backing the Haslab SkyStriker.

"F-14" + Dec 7th Pearl Harbor = The Final Countdown! 8)

I don't do the 3.75 line of figures but does anyone think it would work in the background (forced perspective) with the 6 inch line?
If you just want the Skystriker itself I'm sure the figures will be a hot commodity on the secondary market. You'll likely be able to make all your money back and then some selling Scarlett, Rip Cord, and the Pit Crew. I've already seen a ton of people say they'll need a bunch of the generic crew figures for their FLAGGs.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:58 pm

mikeysee wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Fly4v wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:00 am
So have between now and midnight December 7th to decide on backing the Haslab SkyStriker.

"F-14" + Dec 7th Pearl Harbor = The Final Countdown! 8)

I don't do the 3.75 line of figures but does anyone think it would work in the background (forced perspective) with the 6 inch line?
If you just want the Skystriker itself I'm sure the figures will be a hot commodity on the secondary market. You'll likely be able to make all your money back and then some selling Scarlett, Rip Cord, and the Pit Crew. I've already seen a ton of people say they'll need a bunch of the generic crew figures for their FLAGGs.
Yeah exactly.

I could also see the pit crew show up somewhere else, in different colours, to use the molds again without hurting the exclusivity of the Haslab versions. Especially since Hasbro hasn't been above releasing figures from Haslabs with minor tweaks.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 pm

Reefer Shark wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 pm
Having recently gotten into the retro line, I have to say I was a bit disappointed there was no talk of any new releases. The o-rings are only good for me for mild nostalgia,
Strangely enough, in a time when toy companies (particularly Hasbro) are leaning in big time to nostalgia as a selling point, I find myself wanting less and less of it in my collecting. Leave the past in the past and give me something new. This is from someone who still has the vast majority of his vintage GI Joes (and Star Wars, and Transformers, and He-Man) on display in his figure room. I still love that old stuff, I'll still collect it, but let's move forward.

I too was just getting into the "retro" line (kind of a poor choice for a name, particularly now that the REAL retro stuff is about to hit). I just got Cobra Officer and Grunt in the mail from Walmart. Grunt, for as simplistic a design as he is, is really impressive. Having slept on everything prior to Cobra Trooper and Stalker, I just bought a lot of pretty much the entire line from a guy for an amazing price. Now I wonder if they will be going forward with this line at all. I guess I'd kind of be surprised if they do. Can GI Joe go from nothing to having THREE different lines in such a short time?

Much like with the Star Wars Retro figures, I feel like these "new" Joes are copies of stuff I already have. I don't feel a pressing need to own them. I don't know. Just having GI Joe have a presence of any kind on the shelf is a win in my book, so it's not all that bad. I guess I'd just like to keep seeing NEW 3.75" stuff.
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:17 pm

I'm pass the O-Ring nostalgia myself. Besides a couple of the older vehicles I had as a child, I also like the new figures and would like new vehicles based on the cartoons.

I really would like to know why this line is so slow with releases.
WildBill
Faster than a speeding bullet

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Skystriker is my first time backing a HasLab and my first Skystriker! Pretty excited about it overall, but at what point do you forget about it in the year+ before you get it in hand? Or does that not happen?

The o-ring thing has me excited too. I went pretty big with the 25th anniversary line figures (not so much on vehicles as I would have liked) and this is pushing all the right nostalgia buttons for me. Makes me want a HasLab G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover HasLab centered around an Optimus Prime that can seat the 3.75" Joes. Not Masterpiece level engineering but something closer to the original toy proportions with more modern articulation and have the trailer open up to a launch pad for a Sky Hawk or something like that. Include a deep cut figure like Super Trooper or Robo-Joe and also a 3.75 Spike and Sparkplug,
Reefer Shark
CROM!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 pm
Reefer Shark wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 pm
Having recently gotten into the retro line, I have to say I was a bit disappointed there was no talk of any new releases. The o-rings are only good for me for mild nostalgia,
Strangely enough, in a time when toy companies (particularly Hasbro) are leaning in big time to nostalgia as a selling point, I find myself wanting less and less of it in my collecting. Leave the past in the past and give me something new. This is from someone who still has the vast majority of his vintage GI Joes (and Star Wars, and Transformers, and He-Man) on display in his figure room. I still love that old stuff, I'll still collect it, but let's move forward.

I too was just getting into the "retro" line (kind of a poor choice for a name, particularly now that the REAL retro stuff is about to hit). I just got Cobra Officer and Grunt in the mail from Walmart. Grunt, for as simplistic a design as he is, is really impressive. Having slept on everything prior to Cobra Trooper and Stalker, I just bought a lot of pretty much the entire line from a guy for an amazing price. Now I wonder if they will be going forward with this line at all. I guess I'd kind of be surprised if they do. Can GI Joe go from nothing to having THREE different lines in such a short time?

Much like with the Star Wars Retro figures, I feel like these "new" Joes are copies of stuff I already have. I don't feel a pressing need to own them. I don't know. Just having GI Joe have a presence of any kind on the shelf is a win in my book, so it's not all that bad. I guess I'd just like to keep seeing NEW 3.75" stuff.
We're definitely getting some nostalgia overload!

Im starting to feel like the Wal-Mart retro line is more of an in-between throwaway line that isnt much of a priority for Hasbro. Which is a shame, the new figures have been pretty great. I've managed to score all of them except Roadblock & Scarlett, and probably wont ever get them looking at their prices on ebay.

Ah well, plenty of other 3 3/4" goodness to be had these days. Lines like Joy Toy's military stuff & Boss fights vitruvian hacks will keep me pretty busy!
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:26 am

Reefer Shark wrote:

Im starting to feel like the Wal-Mart retro line is more of an in-between throwaway line that isnt much of a priority for Hasbro.
Star Wars and GI Joe now have very similar offerings: A 6" line, a 3.75" "new sculpt" line, and a 3.74" reissue line. With Star Wars, I am mostly interested in their 3.75" new sculpt offerings. I love the detail, the articulation, the paint apps, I passed completely on their reissues. I find myself feeling the same way toward GI Joe. The all new figures like Stalker, Grunt, Cobra Trooper and Officer got me very excited. Now I'm wondering if that's it. You're right in that I'm not sure it's as much a priority for Hasbro.

I'm picking up a lot of loose, complete retro Joes from a guy....I believe it's everyone released so far including Scarlett, Roadblock, Baroness, Lady Jay and all three vehicles for $130, I feel that's a pretty good price. I'll try to sell off what I don't want.
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:04 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:26 am
Reefer Shark wrote:

Im starting to feel like the Wal-Mart retro line is more of an in-between throwaway line that isnt much of a priority for Hasbro.
Star Wars and GI Joe now have very similar offerings: A 6" line, a 3.75" "new sculpt" line, and a 3.74" reissue line. With Star Wars, I am mostly interested in their 3.75" new sculpt offerings. I love the detail, the articulation, the paint apps, I passed completely on their reissues. I find myself feeling the same way toward GI Joe. The all new figures like Stalker, Grunt, Cobra Trooper and Officer got me very excited. Now I'm wondering if that's it. You're right in that I'm not sure it's as much a priority for Hasbro.

I'm picking up a lot of loose, complete retro Joes from a guy....I believe it's everyone released so far including Scarlett, Roadblock, Baroness, Lady Jay and all three vehicles for $130, I feel that's a pretty good price. I'll try to sell off what I don't want.
Right because even looking at the figures in the haslab set, for o-ring figures the ground crew seems lacking in detail. Like they would've benefitted from a little more effort into making them look better than on the original box art.
Leonardo T Dragon
Customized

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 pm

As much as I hate to say it-- I have the feeling that this line is dead. There's been a general lack of announcements about it from Hasbro and, unless Walmart really wants more Joe, I don't see it having ANY other support. Plus, Hasbro seems to want to go backwards in time with o-rings again.

It was fun while it lasted, QC issues and all.
Nik
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:01 pm

When the big Joe renaissance was imminent, I decided to skip Classified and focus on the Retro line, seeing as how I only had 3.75 Joes in my existing collection (it's the same for Star Wars, I own like 9 Black Series total compared to at least 100 1/18 scale figures going back to '77). Everything was peachy, managed to snag Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and they were so good I knew I made the right decision.

And then I saw the only Classified figures on the shelf that I would ever see (until last month when all of the movie figures and the Flinty Jaye wave started clogging pegs), a wave 1 shipper in the garden section of Walmart. Could not resist Snake Eyes and Destro, as they just looked SO toyetic. Fast forward to now and I have every character released in Classified, including the generic army builders which I NEVER buy in 1/12, and the Retro line has been more difficult to find and collect than Cobra Island. I never even saw Scarlett or the Baroness on the shelf, and their secondary prices are insulting considering they aren't new sculpts like Stalker and Grunt.

My intention to collect the absolute hell out of the retro wave has persisted, but only through my own will, and not because they are keeping this line in the public eye in any way. I will also say that to my surprise, I have zero interest in any O-ringers. If they didn't have the Retro and Classified lines I would probably be all over it, but as it stands they just feel like a step backward. I much prefer figures that can hold their weapons like human beings.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:26 pm

Hate to bum y'all out but it sounds like the Modern style 3 3/4" line is absolutely being shelved for the time being in favor of the vintage remake/reissues they are starting now. The Joe team had a Q & A with a bunch of Joe fan webpage people and that question came up. I heard it here though I unfortunately don't remember the time stamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYHmsa ... rcePodcast
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:46 pm

Welp, Guess I'll spend more on Marvel Legends for now....
thefamousnicknaro
CROM!

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:43 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:Welp, Guess I'll spend more on Marvel Legends for now....
I was gonna say at least I can save money for Marauder in 2023…
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:02 am

LULZ!

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”