G.I. Joe Classified Series

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
Matthew K
nah, pass
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Series

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 pm

I hope those dates are padded, yes. I think they are. As for the officer, I really like it a lot, though I kind of prefer the armor and more detailed face mask of the troopers to the plain cloth face covering and plainer boots and gloves on this guy. I know that's a little weird coming from a guy who always wants things to skew more classic, but I like some of the new details. I grabbed a couple officers to lead my Cobra Army.
Bubs
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:30 pm

H-bird wrote:The Alley Viper isn't striking a chord with me the way most everything else is. I think a big part of it is the colors - I don't mind the garish color scheme per se, but the colors on the figure they showed are flat and dull which works against the design maybe? The Classified promo art for Alley Vipers had me interested in these guys but the figure shown just isn't doing it for me. The sculpt looks fantastic just like the rest though!
I hear ya. I like these guys and will buy a couple, but I would have bought a whole squad of Alley Vipers had they stuck with the design that's been on the back of the package since the beginning.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:17 pm

I'm very curious how many things were re-redesigned in response to the pushback from fans about the more modern takes, and if the Alley Vipers weren't a casualty of that? What they've just shown seems very, very close to the Alley Viper v11 design (brown plates on his boots, textured knee pads, the black triple-strap holster on the right thigh, carabiner clips on the waist), but that box concept art take is a lot more in line with the high tech redesigns they'd been going with that some people thought skewed too much from the original designs. Seems like most of the newer reveals and releases are swinging back hard toward "classic."
Aggro Ninja
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:33 pm

Threash wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:29 pm
VonDoom62 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 am
Ash Talon wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:40 am

It appears to be an AK-47. So maybe this line is going to start having real-world guns instead of the Nerf-based ones.
I've been noticing the switch to realistic weaponry since deluxe Snake Eyes and Timber. Gotta give credit to the GI Joe team, they really do listen to the fans.
The very first figure, deluxe snake eyes from Pulse had a realistic pistol and uzi. They went with the nerf guns after that.
The deluxe Snake Eyes was likely originally meant to be a one-off with realistic weapons since he was an online exclusive.
Bubs
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Samael13 wrote:
I'm very curious how many things were re-redesigned in response to the pushback from fans about the more modern takes, and if the Alley Vipers weren't a casualty of that?
I'm sure it was a casualty of that, which is a damn shame, because it was very well received. The Cobra Trooper, Baroness (without most of the gold and the purple in the hair), and Major Bludd are all high-tech design updates which were also very well received. I'm a bit concerned that with "CLASSIC ALL THE THINGS" some of my favorite figures from the last year and a half are going to clash with everything that's coming out. Fortunately the Cobra Officer still uses the same body as the Cobra Trooper, even if the web gear and gloves and boots are different, but I wish he had the same face mask, as well.
Kirathis
Faster than a speeding bullet

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:07 pm

I guess I am in the minority as I greatly prefer the high tech idea if not all of the implementations. That was one part of the Rise of Cobra movie that I really liked. I always felt like GI Joe would have bleeding edge weaponry and gear. I appreciate that so many fans love the classic design but I am definitely on the side of more high tech gear.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

When is Pulse Zartan supposed to ship?
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:32 pm

Bubs wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
I'm very curious how many things were re-redesigned in response to the pushback from fans about the more modern takes, and if the Alley Vipers weren't a casualty of that?
I'm sure it was a casualty of that, which is a damn shame, because it was very well received. The Cobra Trooper, Baroness (without most of the gold and the purple in the hair), and Major Bludd are all high-tech design updates which were also very well received. I'm a bit concerned that with "CLASSIC ALL THE THINGS" some of my favorite figures from the last year and a half are going to clash with everything that's coming out. Fortunately the Cobra Officer still uses the same body as the Cobra Trooper, even if the web gear and gloves and boots are different, but I wish he had the same face mask, as well.
It was not “very well received”. There were dozens of pages of people complaining about how the style of the first wave was not what they wanted/expected, and people suggesting repaints to those figures.

No one complained about the figures you mentioned because they weren’t drastic departures from the looks everyone was familiar with. Gold armor, glowing blue dohickeys, and tuning forks were not generally not well received. At best I’d say they were “begrudgingly accepted”.

I don’t see how anyone could dislike what was shown this last week. Every figure looks like a hit. I have no complaints. As someone who basically gave up on the line earlier this year since I could never find them in stores, the shift in design choice and the recent increase in availability at stores has caused me to reconsider.

I’ll definitely get that Storm Shadow and Spirit. Good job, Joe team.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:48 pm

yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Bubs wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
I think I was one of the few that didn't think the sky was falling when they were doing the gold shin pads and what not. It didn't bug me too much, and clashing is not an issue for me. If you look at the vintage line from 82-95, they ran the gamut from traditional military in the early days to straight up sci-fi fantasy in the final waves.

I don't need things to be an exact copy of how they looked 35 years ago, and yet I'm sure they will go there. Classified series on vintage card backs are absolutely coming.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 pm

supreme-d wrote:
Bubs wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
It was not “very well received”. There were dozens of pages of people complaining about how the style of the first wave was not what they wanted/expected, and people suggesting repaints to those figures.
I think he's saying that the Alley Viper redesign, in particular, was very well received, not that the first wave of figures was very well received.
No one complained about the figures you mentioned because they weren’t drastic departures from the looks everyone was familiar with. Gold armor, glowing blue dohickeys, and tuning forks were not generally not well received. At best I’d say they were “begrudgingly accepted”.

I don’t see how anyone could dislike what was shown this last week. Every figure looks like a hit. I have no complaints. As someone who basically gave up on the line earlier this year since I could never find them in stores, the shift in design choice and the recent increase in availability at stores has caused me to reconsider.

I’ll definitely get that Storm Shadow and Spirit. Good job, Joe team.
I really, really like the Alley Viper, but I'd also have really liked it if it looked more like the box art did, too. I think I'm probably closer to Bubs or Kirathis; I think that the early execution--particularly around color palette--left a bit to be desired, but I like the modernization concept, so the pendulum swing is a little disappointing in the sense that some of the more recent releases and reveals seem to be moving away from that modern-high-tech take, and leaning heavily into a classic but at 6" look, instead. They look great, but Classified Lady Jaye, BBQ, and Heavy Artillery Roadblock or even the BATS have really skewed away from the modernization approach. The BATS don't really seem updated at all, really, beyond allowing both hands to be swapped, which is a little surprising, since they're robots. I think the BATS look awesome and I'll be glad to get them, but, yeah, I kind of preferred the "modernize and update" as an approach, even if it needed some fine tuning. It's not a complaint, in the sense that I think the reveals look phenomenal, other than the Python Patrol stuff (but I've *never* liked the figure decos for Python Patrol, so it's not the Classified figures faults; I just find the color palette hideous). I like this, but I'd also have liked it if they worked on fine tuning the earlier approach more.
Bubs
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

supreme-d wrote:

I think he's saying that the Alley Viper redesign, in particular, was very well received, not that the first wave of figures was very well received.
You are correct.
Slaker
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:25 pm

I light of this discussion I just want to revoice my support for the modernized Storm Shadow that we've seen in art.

I'm happy to get a classic design, and it feels right to get it first, but I hope hasbro still produces the updated look. I was very much looking forward to it.
Boke18
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Ro-El wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm
When is Pulse Zartan supposed to ship?
For real. My Filoni Star Wars figure already shipped and will be here Tomorrow I believe.

On another note my BBQ shipped from Target this morning.
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Slaker wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:25 pm
I light of this discussion I just want to revoice my support for the modernized Storm Shadow that we've seen in art.

I'm happy to get a classic design, and it feels right to get it first, but I hope hasbro still produces the updated look. I was very much looking forward to it.
I want to revoice my support for a hooded CC

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”