G.I. Joe Classified Series

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Series

Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 am

Nik wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:49 pm
I dunno if it's in the lore or anything, but most of the white people I know with jet black hair are extremely pale as well. Maybe it's a goth thing? I know more than a few. Maybe Baroness is goth?
Can confirm that goths have embraced Baroness as “one of us”.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:37 am

Bubs wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:20 am
I'd be down for some brand new characters. Hasbro used to make them all the time.
That was back when they sold to kids. Now they are are selling to adults and relying almost 100% on nostalgia to drive sales.

I'll take new characters too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone want to see a Colonel (missile commander) Hawk over, or before General Hawk?
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:29 pm

I was up until 1:30am playing and posing Commando Snake Eyes and Timber last night. Timber is such a great figure. Earlier this year I had Lady Jaye as my most favorite figure of 2021, she just got passed in a big way by Timber. As for Commando Snake Eyes, for being primarily reuse (Beach head torso and arms, Duke legs, Flint boots) is pretty good. Having it all in black helps disguise all the reuse. I do find the tactical vest very limiting in his torso articulation. I would have preferred it being made from a softer more flexible rubber or instead of a full vest, some type of harness or chest holster. For something so bulky, I'm surprised nothing gets stored on it, no pistol holster nor knife sheath. Tonight I'll be opening some Vipers, good thing I'm not a mint in box collector because one of my Vipers came in a semi crushed box despite it being packaged very carefully in a box with packing material. I guess it probably came that way from Hasbro.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
Probably a dumb question, but does anyone want to see a Colonel (missile commander) Hawk over, or before General Hawk?
That's a tough one. Normally I'd say yes, and for certain I want Col. Hawk in the the 3.75" retro line before General Hawk (I'm an big fan of the original 13). But I feel like the goal of classified is to lean into the the different, distinct character looks (with some subtle modern flair), and to create variety within the line and on a shelf. So I think I'd prefer a classified take on the 86 General Hawk first.
Chooch
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Jetpack all the way. Hawks are meant to fly! (Only half-joking)
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
100%. Give me my crew-cut blond badass field commander.
I would *also* take the General Bomber-Jacket version, but I’d prefer that with the blond crew-cut as well, like the comics.

. . . I also want the crazy flight suit with the jet pack.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:57 am

I love the original 13, so I'd say Hawk v1. However, Duke looked just like him in the comics. So I wouldn't mind Classified Hawk being based on his bomber jacket figure with brown hair. I suppose they could give us alternate heads with him, so people could display him as they see fit.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:03 pm

dchimpy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 pm
Mr potatohead wrote:
But I feel like the goal of classified is to lean into the the different, distinct character looks (with some subtle modern flair), and to create variety within the line and on a shelf.
That's my one slight fear. I wouldn't mind figures that are somewhat close in appearance as long as the faces are distinct; and we've seen Hasbro do wonders with slight, yet creative repaints in other lines. Heck, that's a good reason for them to do some parts reuse. Maybe even giving us alternate heads of different characters, though, admittedly that can be a very slippery slope in itself.

I also have a nostalgia for the originals when for the most part they weren't all that different. I do love both versions and Gen. Hawk is one of my favorite designs in the entire series, but I'd hate to see the original be forgotten altogether.
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
CROM!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:42 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:35 am
Since the Baroness’s country of origin remains ambiguous, we can’t be sure of her heritage. The accent the animated series assigned her sounded Eastern European, but still uncertain. If she happens to hail from a more northern region, she could have a more pale complexion, genetically. The short of it is, we simply don’t know enough about her background.
The Baroness' real name is Anastasia Cisarovna, so she is definitely of Eastern European descent -- maybe from the Baltic states, but more likely the daughter of Russian oligarchs.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou wrote:
DetectiveHoag wrote:
Since the Baroness’s country of origin remains ambiguous, we can’t be sure of her heritage. The accent the animated series assigned her sounded Eastern European, but still uncertain. If she happens to hail from a more northern region, she could have a more pale complexion, genetically. The short of it is, we simply don’t know enough about her background.
The Baroness' real name is Anastasia Cisarovna, so she is definitely of Eastern European descent -- maybe from the Baltic states, but more likely the daughter of Russian oligarchs.
But that's based on the info created by Hama. They likely have totally different back stories, if any, now. Which is probably why we don't get any information with the figures themselves.
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
CROM!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
DetectiveHoag wrote:
But that's based on the info created by Hama. They likely have totally different back stories, if any, now. Which is probably why we don't get any information with the figures themselves.
Hama is canon for me, since he wrote the original ARAH file cards, as well as the comics. Even as a kid in the '80s, I liked the comic much more than the cartoon.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:56 pm

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 pm
Mr potatohead wrote:

Hama is canon for me, since he wrote the original ARAH file cards, as well as the comics. Even as a kid in the '80s, I liked the comic much more than the cartoon.
I'm in the same boat.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:25 pm

The background info they have on the website for the Classified are somewhat vague and generalized and not as detailed as the ARAH file cards so the file card info can still mostly apply to these modern versions. Specific timeline events of course would need to be updated and such.

Speaking of updates, I’d really like to see the modern takes to characters who really had distinct cultural looks like Spirit or Budo. How would they tackle a modern Native American and samurai military look basically.
jonaskane
Avengers Assemble

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:19 pm

I would assume with Spirit they would do something similar to the end of the modern Joe line, where he resembled the character Billy from Predator.

Budo, not sure. Something like this maybe? Or something Shadowrun-y?

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”