Neca TMNT universal monsters!

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Neca TMNT universal monsters!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:55 pm

What monster is Raph in that second set?
Maximoff
no more subnics

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:00 pm

citysushi wrote:What monster is Raph in that second set?
Metaluna Mutant
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Slixta wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 pm
Weird that Frankenstein is Raph and not Mikey. Also weird that Hunchback Leo is being rumored. I would have thought they would use the ones from the original line for nostalgia's sake...

They're not going to step on Super7's toes. Brian said they have a wave of all turtles planned in the future and Universal Monsters could certainly be that. And even if not, if NECA could get the licenses cleared for their figures then surely Super7 can as well. This mashup fits both of their brands rather well.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:38 pm

On one hand I love this theoretically but on the other Raph is my favorite turtle and Frankenstein's monster is my least favorite classic monster (I've always thought it looked overwhelmingly dumb) so seeing them mashed up just kinda bums me out. Cool for everyone who is way into this though.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 pm

Misfit wrote:
Slixta wrote:
Weird that Frankenstein is Raph and not Mikey. Also weird that Hunchback Leo is being rumored. I would have thought they would use the ones from the original line for nostalgia's sake...

They're not going to step on Super7's toes. Brian said they have a wave of all turtles planned in the future and Universal Monsters could certainly be that. And even if not, if NECA could get the licenses cleared for their figures then surely Super7 can as well. This mashup fits both of their brands rather well.
I imagine the universal monsters license is not hard to come by. Jada toys has their line going and there’s always other merch from other companies. The hurdle Neca ran into was getting likeness rights from the families of the actors since they wanted to make movie accurate figures. But the general monster rights seem to get handed out pretty regularly. If Neca does another series of these with more of the main monsters, I probably wouldn’t even be tempted by super 7 if they decide to do them. Neca is showing some real creativity instead of just following the original designs.
hisdudeness9829
Super Poseable

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:26 pm

starguarded wrote:Dang... I collect Super7 TMNT but I am gonna get this for sure. They really nailed it with the design and the sculpting details. I also like that it's different from the vintage Universal Monster figures (where Raph was the Mummy and the Metaluna Mutant) so if Super7 does them, they'll be different than this one. This will be my first NECA TMNT
I’m sort of in the same boat. I decided to stick with Super7 because I like the turtle variants and playmates designs, but I’m going to have to grab this one. Hopefully FrankenRaph scales well with them.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 pm
Misfit wrote:
Slixta wrote:

I imagine the universal monsters license is not hard to come by. Jada toys has their line going and there’s always other merch from other companies. The hurdle Neca ran into was getting likeness rights from the families of the actors since they wanted to make movie accurate figures. But the general monster rights seem to get handed out pretty regularly. If Neca does another series of these with more of the main monsters, I probably wouldn’t even be tempted by super 7 if they decide to do them. Neca is showing some real creativity instead of just following the original designs.
The license is basically there for the taking, it’s just the added red tape of getting Viacom and Universal to sign off on the product. And if one approves something and then the other requests a change it resets the whole thing. In this case, it’s probably just time-consuming more so than difficult as this has been done before so the concept isn’t foreign to the parties (even if Viacom didn’t own TMNT back when the Playmates figures came out).
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Metaluna Mutant
Never heard of it.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:39 pm

hisdudeness9829 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:26 pm
starguarded wrote:Dang... I collect Super7 TMNT but I am gonna get this for sure. They really nailed it with the design and the sculpting details. I also like that it's different from the vintage Universal Monster figures (where Raph was the Mummy and the Metaluna Mutant) so if Super7 does them, they'll be different than this one. This will be my first NECA TMNT
I’m sort of in the same boat. I decided to stick with Super7 because I like the turtle variants and playmates designs, but I’m going to have to grab this one. Hopefully FrankenRaph scales well with them.
Even if they did fit scale wise, they are not going to be remotely similar in style or execution. If you don't care about them matching in that way, it's always possible.
Evil Monkey Pope
CROM!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:44 am

Hunchback Leonardo sounds heartbreakingly dull.
Detrimental_Fig
CROM!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 am

citysushi wrote:
Maximoff wrote:
Metaluna Mutant
Never heard of it.
It's from This Island Earth. Rent the MST3K movie, you'll be glad you did.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:11 am

I was expecting these to be part of the toon line when I heard of them, not be styled like the movie line. I'm glad these aren't exclusives, but not sure if I will get into these. I've never been a horror fan.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 am

Great comparison shot shared by Blaine on Twitter:

JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 am

cmoney wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 pm
Huh. My read would be the "typical" four as Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolf Man, and the Mummy.

I wonder if choices here are clues for both lines, ie: does Hunchback Leo imply they plan a Hunchback in the Universal Monsters line? Does a Wolf Man in that line imply one in the TMNT line?
I should clarify that I meant the "typical" four being the ones subordinate in popularity to Dracula, as he seems to be the "leading" monster in terms of popularity and ability to support potential franchises. The other four, while popular typically pale in comparison to Dracula's popularity, so he's essentially a lock for likely character use, hence my initial exclusion of him. Not doing a Dracula character seems like the worst case scenario of leaving money on the table. Still, I'm withholding judgement until I see the others on whether to go all in. This seems like a line where having even one that is underwhelming ruins the overall motif.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:29 am

citysushi wrote:
Maximoff wrote:
Metaluna Mutant
Never heard of it.
Phantom of the Opera would have been a better choice. Splinter would likely make the most sense for a Wolfman.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”