Hasbro: TMNT MMPR Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Hasbro MMPR TMNT

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:27 am

If the DST Turtles didn't do well, it's likely because they were based on one animated movie. Basically on one-and-done designs. Certainly, figures based on longer-lasting designs would do better.

I think Playmates has some kind of unique "forever" clause in their TMNT license. Maybe as long as they produce some kind of TMNT product each year, they retain the license. Hence why they put only a bare minimum of effort into the license and issue re-releases every so often. Instead of investing money into new product on years between animated shows, they simply re-issue old product just to hold the license.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Hasbro MMPR TMNT

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 am

Playmates is bare minimum. They had us all excited with the super articulated turtles and didn’t get further than 6 figures. Now Neca makes much better articulated figures so those playmates ones are garbage by comparison. And playmates is currently releasing those same turtle figures. All they had to do was expand on the characters and we would have all been buying them.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 am

I LOVE the DCC Batman/TMNT turtle figures. They are as close to IDW turtles that we have gotten thus far. Yes, they are slightly animated looking, but like other posters said, I have a TMNT multiverse, so they go with all my other versions.
Ash Talon wrote:
If the DST Turtles didn't do well, it's likely because they were based on one animated movie. Basically on one-and-done designs. Certainly, figures based on longer-lasting designs would do better.

I think Playmates has some kind of unique "forever" clause in their TMNT license. Maybe as long as they produce some kind of TMNT product each year, they retain the license. Hence why they put only a bare minimum of effort into the license and issue re-releases every so often. Instead of investing money into new product on years between animated shows, they simply re-issue old product just to hold the license.
The movie WAS based on the comic, which featured the IDW looks, so they are "technically" at least in part, long running comic inspired looks.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 am

Ash Talon wrote:
I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what’s going on. I seem to remember the first time I saw the original 88 reissues was in those dark times following the collapse of the original toyline and the development of the 2003 revival. It might not be a clause that calls for annual releases, but maybe 18 months or two years. Though the longer things go without something new to market, perhaps the more likely it becomes that Playmates would be willing to sell. I don’t know if anyone should be rooting for Hasbro to take it over though as they have the money and clout to take a stranglehold over it and force out companies like NECA and Super7.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 am

^ Except I don't think Hasbro has the money to buy the whole property outright from Viacom.

They could in theory get the license for anything new tv/movie related like Playmates has done, which could in theory give them a chance at IDW comic turtles, but until the contracts for NECA and Super7 were up, I don't think they'd have a chance of taking all the pie, as I'm pretty sure it's Viacom/Nick that gave the license to the other 2, and okayed the DCC (and potentially these PR) turtles.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:17 am

Ironically I always saw Playmates' handling of the TMNT license like Bandai America handled Power Rangers. Bare minimum changes to the overall line for years with bare minimum effort put to trying to put out products for older fans that would gladly throw money their way for well-produced figures aimed at a collector's market.

Collectors to BoA: "We want Power Rangers products, too!"

BoA: *Reissues old MMPR products and makes sub-par "articulated collector line"*

Collectors to Playmates: "We want TMNT products, too!"

Playmates: *Reissues old products and makes a sub-par "articulated collector line"*
weizie
CROM!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:24 am

SalemCrow wrote:I LOVE the DCC Batman/TMNT turtle figures. They are as close to IDW turtles that we have gotten thus far. Yes, they are slightly animated looking, but like other posters said, I have a TMNT multiverse, so they go with all my other versions.
Ash Talon wrote:

The movie WAS based on the comic, which featured the IDW looks, so they are "technically" at least in part, long running comic inspired looks.
Except the designs of the figures aren't even close to the IDW designs. If the figures for tmtn/batman match the designs in the movie, they don't match the actual IDW designs

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 am

Supposedly the TMNT DC Direct did well for them, but there were major issues overall. One, DC Direct (or whatever it became) was clearly on its way out. Two, they made it clear they were going to do one wave and basically be done. Three, they had the notorious DC Direct breakage issues (and even if most were okay they were haunted by the ghost of potential breakage). Four, Gamestop was the distributor and before they were the Wolves of Wallstreet, everyone expected GS to go belly up before the figures even saw the light of day. Five, designs to a movie not many people saw but was quite good. Six, saddled with oddball Batman figures nobody wanted. Hey we finally get an Alfred! Why this line?
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:37 pm

SalemCrow wrote:
^ Except I don't think Hasbro has the money to buy the whole property outright from Viacom.

They could in theory get the license for anything new tv/movie related like Playmates has done, which could in theory give them a chance at IDW comic turtles, but until the contracts for NECA and Super7 were up, I don't think they'd have a chance of taking all the pie, as I'm pretty sure it's Viacom/Nick that gave the license to the other 2, and okayed the DCC (and potentially these PR) turtles.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting Hasbro would outright purchase TMNT from Viacom, just the master license from Playmates. And if they did that, they would likely negotiate an end to other collector lines. We still don't know how NECA and Super7 were able to get the license. Either Viacom just has really good lawyers that were able to exploit loopholes in the Playmates master license, or Playmates has been compensated in some way.

At the end of the day though, I don't see Hasbro necessarily wanting the full license. Because this is a crossover with a property they own outright, their agreement with Viacom probably means Hasbro and Hasbro alone has the ability to produce toys based on these designs and they're giving it a go. Only if this is a huge hit do I see Hasbro kicking the tires on more TMNT, and the IDW designs would be another place for them to try. I'm really curious to see how they're distributed though as the toy aisles still seem to be exclusive to Playmates, but maybe this ends that at least temporarily. It's not as if Playmates is even soliciting product for general toy aisles right now under the TMNT license.
weizie
CROM!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:52 pm

Misfit wrote:
SalemCrow wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting Hasbro would outright purchase TMNT from Viacom, just the master license from Playmates. And if they did that, they would likely negotiate an end to other collector lines. We still don't know how NECA and Super7 were able to get the license. Either Viacom just has really good lawyers that were able to exploit loopholes in the Playmates master license, or Playmates has been compensated in some way.

At the end of the day though, I don't see Hasbro necessarily wanting the full license. Because this is a crossover with a property they own outright, their agreement with Viacom probably means Hasbro and Hasbro alone has the ability to produce toys based on these designs and they're giving it a go. Only if this is a huge hit do I see Hasbro kicking the tires on more TMNT, and the IDW designs would be another place for them to try. I'm really curious to see how they're distributed though as the toy aisles still seem to be exclusive to Playmates, but maybe this ends that at least temporarily. It's not as if Playmates is even soliciting product for general toy aisles right now under the TMNT license.
Nick was the key, they are the reason so many companies can make tmnt stuff right now

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Zorn88
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 pm

The leaked listing of two packs make me a little nervous. I really hope they don't release a turtle with a reissue of the actual power ranger counterpart in the same pack.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:01 am

Zorn88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 pm
The leaked listing of two packs make me a little nervous. I really hope they don't release a turtle with a reissue of the actual power ranger counterpart in the same pack.
Considering only 3 2-packs seem to be listed, I doubt it. Otherwise you only get 3 turtles.

The turtles themselves will be paired off in two-packs. The third one's a mystery but high chance is that it'll be Pink Ranger April and someone else. Part of me hopes it's April and Splinter just so we get the full hero side and then fan channel Shredder to round it out.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Whoa! Just now seeing this news. That’s awesome! I joked about them doing this for the longest time, just to say that EVERY company seems to get a crack at making the Turtles, but it’s actually happening!

I never read the comic, but what kind of 90’s kid would I be if I turned these down?

Now we just need Hasbro to get the rights to make Next Mutation figures to go with their In Space Rangers.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:19 pm

Boy Wonder wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:36 pm
Now we just need Hasbro to get the rights to make Next Mutation figures to go with their In Space Rangers.
Please no. As a former kid who bought the next mutation figures (the toys weren't bad), even I dont want that iteration revisited.
Child_of_the_90's
HULK SMASH!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 am

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:01 am
Considering only 3 2-packs seem to be listed, I doubt it. Otherwise you only get 3 turtles.

The turtles themselves will be paired off in two-packs. The third one's a mystery but high chance is that it'll be Pink Ranger April and someone else. Part of me hopes it's April and Splinter just so we get the full hero side and then fan channel Shredder to round it out.
I feel like April will be paired with Green Ranger Shredder and that the Shredder single release will be some kind of special edition thing, like better paint and more accessories kind of thing.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”