NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Prospects for new NECA Mirage stuff?

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 pm

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:33 pm
I never ready any of the Mirage stuff. Is there anywhere to see a gallery of the characters in that style?
Not really. The old TMNT site before Nick bought it used to have a great section that has a brief synopsis of every Mirage issue along with a few photos, neat stuff.

But for the most part, the characters look similar to other counterparts. Casey looked a lot like his Playmates toy counterpart, same with Rat King and the Triceratons (to a lesser extent). Utroms, Shredder and Foot you've seen. Really the only other major classic well known character I can think of is Leatherhead and he looks pretty much exactly like his 2K3 counterpart, same for Fugitoid. Karai I guess has a unique look but she's not that different than other incarnations. Beyond that the rest of the characters in the Mirage run are pretty much exclusive to Mirage.

Likewise, there really wasn't a "Mirage style" so much because E&L sort of refined their style and drew very differently at times and then subsequent material was largely done by different artists, some for more issues than others (Lawson did the drawing for all of Vol 4 as an example).
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 am

I have digital versions of the Archie sourcebooks if anyone wants to know what those characters looked like, lol (physical as well, the copies I grew up with, as well as better condition ones off eBay a few years ago).
mattmurdog
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm

I am really looking for new turtle designs for how they looked later in the series where they were boxier and larger. Something like this below

MisplacedProjectile
Runs Around in Tights
Location: Under a couch cushion, or a dresser, or a recliner.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:43 am

^ That exact Leonardo has been my dream figure for twenty years. Mondo Leo is pretty damned close, but way too big. I feel like this is the time I’m actually getting it in a normal scale.
Merso
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 am

mattmurdog wrote:I am really looking for new turtle designs for how they looked later in the series where they were boxier and larger. Something like this below

I'd like that too, but based more on Eastman's style

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 am

So Randy just posted on Twitter in response to a question about re-releasing the Mirage turtles as, “Not possible.” Sounds like new sculpts, it is.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 am

Just the four, or the villains, too?

Because the teasing response to the villains rerelease on Facebook a month or so ago seemed somewhat hopeful.

Plus the April repaints on the checklist that weren't released back then, AFAIK.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Prospects for new NECA Mirage stuff?

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 am

Wasn’t it that their molds got stolen or some shit? Or issues with the factory and the factory kept or destroyed them. I feel like I remember hearing that many years ago.

I’m sure they will make new ones. But they might not look the same. Which means I guess I’ll be buying those. But glad I have the original set and the black and white set.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:54 am

TENIME_art wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 am
Just the four, or the villains, too?

Because the teasing response to the villains rerelease on Facebook a month or so ago seemed somewhat hopeful.

Plus the April repaints on the checklist that weren't released back then, AFAIK.
Just the turtles. No idea on April, but I presume Shredder and the Foot are fine since they were released fairly recently. I just hope they don’t take the toon molds and stick new heads and deco on them. It does suck for those that we’re hoping the 08 sculpts were coming back, those are some great figures.
Joda
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:28 am

I specifically asked Randy about new turtle sculpts just so we wouldn't get another "yes there will be new Mirage figures" answer, which isn't terribly illuminating. (And could just mean more Loot Crate one-offs. [Despite Trevor's statement about the Mirage line taking the Place of the VGA line.] Things are always in flux...) Obviously there's no reason to re-release figures that are now bootlegged to death even if they could.

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/13 ... 6523610116
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 am

Joda wrote:I specifically asked Randy about new turtle sculpts just so we wouldn't get another "yes there will be new Mirage figures" answer, which isn't terribly illuminating. (And could just mean more Loot Crate one-offs. [Despite Trevor's statement about the Mirage line taking the Place of the VGA line.] Things are always in flux...) Obviously there's no reason to re-release figures that are now bootlegged to death even if they could.

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/13 ... 6523610116
Well the knockoffs are still more expensive than the original msrp I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:22 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm
I am really looking for new turtle designs for how they looked later in the series where they were boxier and larger. Something like this below

Agreed. Turtles which look like the art posted would be great. While I love the original Mirage TMNT, their necks seem really long. I'd like stockier Turtles like the one posted.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:39 am

I don't know what they're going for now, but when I grabbed the bootleg colored bandanas for Leo/Don/Mikey (I've had the original authentic NECA team since they were released), it cost me around $40 for all three.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:25 pm

The original Mirage Turtles are great for what they are, but those looks were very specific to the early comics. The styles were pretty fluid as other artists joined on the book and Eastman/Laird refined their version of the Turtles.
mattmurdog
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:14 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:39 am
I don't know what they're going for now, but when I grabbed the bootleg colored bandanas for Leo/Don/Mikey (I've had the original authentic NECA team since they were released), it cost me around $40 for all three.
I remember finding the original NECA TMNTs at a comic book store in San Diego and scoffing at their ridiculous marked up $12 price. Toys back then were maybe $7.99.

Mirage use to also sell the 4 pack on their website for I think $30. I remember coming across it thinking that it was a great deal because on ebay they were going for $60+ and I had regretted passing up on the $12 figures from many years back (see above haha). I waited until pay day, but by then, a week later, it had sold out. I remember emailing them asking what had happened to it, and they said they had just sold out and they weren't going to be restocked. I was pretty bummed.

8+ years later... I ended up buying the KOs for around $45-50 or so off ebay.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”