NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1588
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:32 am

I'll get the exclusives, just cause I want them, but all the digital vault whateverhitzit will probably never get touched by me. I just want the figures. Doesn't have to be signed. Just gimme the figures. I'll pay the $50 or whatever...
User avatar
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 22366
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:45 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:47 am

NFT = Neca Following Trends
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4294
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:05 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am
All I see here are people with no vision. Might as well complain about the Internet being a fad and how smartphones will never replace landlines. I'm sure you were those people.
Not exactly. I want a pose-able piece of painted plastic. I don’t need or want a digital “vault” to store it or care about the purchase history of an action figure. Nor do I care who is buying what and what they’re intentions are and I certainly couldn’t care less about the resale value of said toy. Action figures and action figure collecting is a pretty simple hobby and these added layers that are sold as experience enhancements are just price gouging. The price goes up while the quality of the experience goes down. Sounds like a net loss for the consumer to me. Unless I am completely wrong and all this extraneous stuff can be ignored and the piece of plastic is still 34 bucks or whatever the going rate is these days.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3695
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 am

Misfit wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:05 am
mattmurdog wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am
All I see here are people with no vision. Might as well complain about the Internet being a fad and how smartphones will never replace landlines. I'm sure you were those people.
Not exactly. I want a pose-able piece of painted plastic. I don’t need or want a digital “vault” to store it or care about the purchase history of an action figure. Nor do I care who is buying what and what they’re intentions are and I certainly couldn’t care less about the resale value of said toy. Action figures and action figure collecting is a pretty simple hobby and these added layers that are sold as experience enhancements are just price gouging. The price goes up while the quality of the experience goes down. Sounds like a net loss for the consumer to me. Unless I am completely wrong and all this extraneous stuff can be ignored and the piece of plastic is still 34 bucks or whatever the going rate is these days.
Yeah, none of those theoretical use cases are of any value to me whatsoever, and if it means the figures cost more then it also means I won't be buying them.
smallvillefan
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:47 am

Misfit wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:05 am
mattmurdog wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am
All I see here are people with no vision. Might as well complain about the Internet being a fad and how smartphones will never replace landlines. I'm sure you were those people.
Not exactly. I want a pose-able piece of painted plastic. I don’t need or want a digital “vault” to store it or care about the purchase history of an action figure. Nor do I care who is buying what and what they’re intentions are and I certainly couldn’t care less about the resale value of said toy. Action figures and action figure collecting is a pretty simple hobby and these added layers that are sold as experience enhancements are just price gouging. The price goes up while the quality of the experience goes down. Sounds like a net loss for the consumer to me. Unless I am completely wrong and all this extraneous stuff can be ignored and the piece of plastic is still 34 bucks or whatever the going rate is these days.
It's just another layer of privacy invasion and life tracking. I just want to buy a damn action figure. We already have to jump through enough hoops.
Merso
Super Poseable
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:00 am

smallvillefan wrote:
Misfit wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:05 am
mattmurdog wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am
All I see here are people with no vision. Might as well complain about the Internet being a fad and how smartphones will never replace landlines. I'm sure you were those people.
Not exactly. I want a pose-able piece of painted plastic. I don’t need or want a digital “vault” to store it or care about the purchase history of an action figure. Nor do I care who is buying what and what they’re intentions are and I certainly couldn’t care less about the resale value of said toy. Action figures and action figure collecting is a pretty simple hobby and these added layers that are sold as experience enhancements are just price gouging. The price goes up while the quality of the experience goes down. Sounds like a net loss for the consumer to me. Unless I am completely wrong and all this extraneous stuff can be ignored and the piece of plastic is still 34 bucks or whatever the going rate is these days.
It's just another layer of privacy invasion and life tracking. I just want to buy a damn action figure. We already have to jump through enough hoops.
This right here. I have zero interest in having my name and possibly additional personal information tied to a figure of all things, on a database that belongs to someone else or a corporation.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

MaximumCrapping
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 am

Was a time announced for these on Walmart? If so, is it 10 a.m. eastern?
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4294
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm

This thing just keeps sounding worse. It's still not clear what exactly is going up for sale on 10/6:
Toyark wrote:Calling all collectors! Walmart and NECA have teamed up to launch AutoT, a first-of-its-kind revolutionary digital collectible platform. Best of all, it will be available to customers this Thursday just in time for the hottest collector’s shopping event of the season: Walmart Collector Con from October 6-7.

AutoT offers exclusive figures and collectibles featuring rare chase variants signed by stars and creators. Here is how it works:

Similar to a mystery box, customers will enter a digital code found on their Walmart receipt to reveal what specific collectible they’ve secured on AutoT.com.

From there, they can then easily buy, sell and trade on the AutoT platform with confidence, with the option to store their digital collectible for up to two years free of charge in the NECA Vault.

Otherwise, they can have the physical item shipped directly to them with Walmart’s fast and free two-day shipping on purchases over $35.
Are you buying an NFT blind box? A figure with a code for an NFT?

Starts at 10am. Full article: https://news.toyark.com/2022/10/03/neca ... les-485765
Aggro Ninja
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:54 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm

So the comic strip in the pictures section of that article offered a bit of clarity. What it looks like is you purchase the NFT. Then you take a code on your receipt, put it in the AutoT website, and can choose whether to ship the physical item to your home or keep it stored so you can sell it.

Essentially this is just an extra step for ordinary collectors and a scalper's wet dream. Now scalpers don't have to worry about handling and shipping the physical item. They can just skip right to the scalping as soon as it's not generally available to the public. I suppose the real unanswered question now is if AutoT offers any price controls to keep things from spiraling out of control or whether it's just scalping made easy.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4294
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Aggro Ninja wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm
So the comic strip in the pictures section of that article offered a bit of clarity. What it looks like is you purchase the NFT. Then you take a code on your receipt, put it in the AutoT website, and can choose whether to ship the physical item to your home or keep it stored so you can sell it.

Essentially this is just an extra step for ordinary collectors and a scalper's wet dream. Now scalper's don't have to worry about handling and shipping the physical item. They can just skip right to the scalping as soon as it's not generally available to the public. I suppose the real unanswered question now is if AutoT offers any price controls to keep things from spiraling out of control or whether it's just scalping made easy.
That's what it sounds like to me, only this latest press release adds this mystery component to it. Are you buying a NECA NFT that could be any of the available NECA products? Is it specific to TMNT? Is it specific to a figure? Is it not even specific to NECA? It's still confusing and I'm guessing if NECA is really invested in this then Randy will probably have to get out there Wednesday night or something to field questions. Or he'll delegate it to someone else. Or people will just log on at 10am Thursday and see what they see.
User avatar
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 pm

I'm out no matter what. I want the figure but I'm not paying a dime extra for anything with an NFT upcharge, which these surely have. But this all sounds so... needlessly complicated and stupid. And if anyone thinks Walmart of all companies can manage something like blockchain authentication and online trading, well... fill in your own insult here. And you have to imagine there's going to be a fee attached with the selling/trading.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42625
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:01 pm

As far as we know, what figures are currently affected by this nonsense? Just blue Renet and red Casey and B&W Shredder? I can live without those. But if this starts to affect Marvel Legends, I'll be really annoyed. Seems like it's only NECA though.
User avatar
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: An Abandoned Toys R Us
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 pm

NORM wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:01 pm
As far as we know, what figures are currently affected by this nonsense? Just blue Renet and red Casey and B&W Shredder? I can live without those. But if this starts to affect Marvel Legends, I'll be really annoyed. Seems like it's only NECA though.
I mean hasbro just did it with starting line up wouldn’t surprise me if they try it with legends and black series in the next year or so with a “deluxe boba fett” or “deluxe spiderman”
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42625
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:19 pm

TheCollector1999 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 pm
NORM wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:01 pm
As far as we know, what figures are currently affected by this nonsense? Just blue Renet and red Casey and B&W Shredder? I can live without those. But if this starts to affect Marvel Legends, I'll be really annoyed. Seems like it's only NECA though.
I mean hasbro just did it with starting line up wouldn’t surprise me if they try it with legends and black series in the next year or so with a “deluxe boba fett” or “deluxe spiderman”
Oh wow, I haven't been following the Starting Line Up stuff. Is that factoring into their $50 tags? I thought it was just licensing fees.
User avatar
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:59 pm

I still don't understand. Are you able to buy the physical figure at walmart or are you buying a piece of paper with a code, and then choosing the figure when you get home?

I'm old and don't like this.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”