NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 am

Utrom looks spectacular. Going to army build the hell out of that, and Casey looks great too. Uggo Casey works, dude gets into fights, wouldn't expect him to be pretty after all that, eh? I think it makes sense for him.
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am

Utrom reminds me of the 2012 version of the krang so I had to get him
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 am

Detrimental_Fig wrote:
Utrom looks spectacular. Going to army build the hell out of that, and Casey looks great too. Uggo Casey works, dude gets into fights, wouldn't expect him to be pretty after all that, eh? I think it makes sense for him.

Yeah, I'm fine with Casey's unmasked head. Don't know why people want a pretty boy.
Not that it matters, I always go masked for Casey anyway (unless I would get a second one).

I'm also perfectly fine with the color scheme they went with, I think I actually prefer it over the red shirt. Just thought it was curious that they went with the "less iconic" color twice now. Maybe they aren't allowed to use the colors from the original comics but only the reissues?
MisplacedProjectile
Runs Around in Tights
Location: Under a couch cushion, or a dresser, or a recliner.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:22 pm

Both of these look amazing, but Casey is especially gorgeous.

Getting a little impatient on those new Turtles, though. I feel like I’d be more excited about these if I knew what the four dudes were going to look like.

Really, really hope we see them soon.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:07 pm

I feel like we'll see the Turtles at sdcc. Good time to show it all off together.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:32 pm

That's been my assumption. They need something big for the return to San Diego and new turtles are definitely something "big." The only question is will we see Mirage turtles, Archie turtles, or both? I don't think they'll show both at the same time (maybe one set will be held back for New York Comic Con), but I'll be shocked if we don't see at least one of those two. And since they've been hinting at Mirage turtles for longer than Archie, I'd put my money on those versions first.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:59 pm

TheCollector1999 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am
Utrom reminds me of the 2012 version of the krang so I had to get him

Where do you think they got the idea from? :wink:

2003, too.
Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Freditor wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 am
Detrimental_Fig wrote:

Yeah, I'm fine with Casey's unmasked head. Don't know why people want a pretty boy.

That's because he is somewhat pretty in the comics throughout the original run, outside issues solely drawn by Laird. My main issue is that it looks nothing like the art I associate him with, which is primarily Eastman's work. Plus the expression doesn't give off the playful and goofy nature that Casey almost always has.

The face is kinda similar to first appearance look, but on the one page that he's unmasked he never looks like he's constipated, he's only smug and grinning. If this is supposed to be based on anything else, his hair's a bit too short on the unmasked head.

It's disappointing to see a poor likeness on probably my most anticipated figure of all time. Planned on getting two to have one unmasked, until now. That head just ain't Casey Jones.
Spoiler! :
First appearance

Casey, Private Eye minicomic (Eastman)

Issue 11 (likely Eastman here)

Issue 12, closest to figure's head(Laird)

Issue 14 (Eastman)

Poster (Eastman)
Maximoff
no more subnics

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:22 pm

I feel like my post was taken too seriously by a couple of you. I assume the head sculpt is accurate to something. He just an ugly dude in this iteration and that’s whatever. The joke was he’s so ugly good thing he has a mask. Not that I actually care if he’s ugly. Y’all wild sometimes.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 pm

Are the Mirage designs for the Turtles basically what NECA has already done? I’m not a huge fan of that style, but I would definitely love some of the other comic versions that existed over the years.
chris350
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:53 pm

He's beautiful. I'm in the process of redoing my shelves to focus on mirage since I'm ditching most toon stuff.Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm

*sigh* C'mon, NECA, please rerelease those SDCC villains.

Looking at the two Shredders almost side-by-side, they clearly still have his body mold...
Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:40 pm

thefamousnicknaro wrote:
Are the Mirage designs for the Turtles basically what NECA has already done? I’m not a huge fan of that style, but I would definitely love some of the other comic versions that existed over the years.

What NECA has done for the Turtles are mostly representative of issues 1-3. In issue 4 they changed the belts and it stuck, and from issues 5-8 they slowly phased out the heavily prominent beaks, shortened the necks, and gave the turtles more stocky humanoid proportions. After that, the only differences are artist to artist, and mostly just the heads. I'd be interested to see an alt head for each of the major Mirage artists. NECA's already said they're doing new Turtles, which I assume will be skewing closer to the art of issue 9 and onwards. Maybe we'll see when SDCC rolls around.

And yeah, we need a rerelease of all the villains!! Would love to see army builder two packs for the elites and soldiers and a single carded Shredder. I need at least a dozen Foot Elite for my display. Hopefully a rerelease of the clone shredder too, if they do the other three. I hope a new April, Karai and Splinter are incoming soon, too.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm
*sigh* C'mon, NECA, please rerelease those SDCC villains.

Looking at the two Shredders almost side-by-side, they clearly still have his body mold...
Oh yeah, that mold has been reused many times. Shredder and the Foot are all basically the same save for their heads and hands. Even the toon Shredder uses many of the same parts so they absolutely have access to those tools. I'm guessing when they get to him in the relaunched line they'll redo some of Shredder, probably give him an unmasked head, and more expressive hand options. I'm curious how they'll do the Foot since most will want more than one. Will they just be single carded like the other figures in the line and Turtles in Time Foot, or will they do a two-pack?
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 pm

Jead wrote:
thefamousnicknaro wrote:

What NECA has done for the Turtles are mostly representative of issues 1-3. In issue 4 they changed the belts and it stuck, and from issues 5-8 they slowly phased out the heavily prominent beaks, shortened the necks, and gave the turtles more stocky humanoid proportions. After that, the only differences are artist to artist, and mostly just the heads. I'd be interested to see an alt head for each of the major Mirage artists. NECA's already said they're doing new Turtles, which I assume will be skewing closer to the art of issue 9 and onwards. Maybe we'll see when SDCC rolls around.

And yeah, we need a rerelease of all the villains!! Would love to see army builder two packs for the elites and soldiers and a single carded Shredder. I need at least a dozen Foot Elite for my display. Hopefully a rerelease of the clone shredder too, if they do the other three. I hope a new April, Karai and Splinter are incoming soon, too.
Appreciate the explanation. I googled a bit and did a brief scan and I really do prefer the later artwork. I guess they’d probably go with all red bandannas as well, right?

I really only collect the brothers themselves, so I do kind of hope it’s not too long before they offer these and maybe some Archie stuff and IDW versions as well.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”