NECA: TMNT Loot Crate Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: NECA TMNT Loot Crate Series

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:16 am

Ha when you said Archie design and showed that first picture I was like damn that’s a bit gritty and ferocious. But yeah it’s a fairly good match to those comics.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:33 am

Haha, that is the official Archie sourcebook!

ImageImage
Wes Crayon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:27 am

So the main difference between TF Armaggon and Archie Armaggon is the feet: in the game he had flipper feet, but in the comics his legs ended in these weird nubbins. But also there's the size issue. The art is often inconsistent, but he's *supposed* to be a whole lot larger than the other characters -- see his style guide listing at 8' -- and often appears as such. Whereas the game stats have him at 6', which is closer to how he stands in relation to other characters in the game.

I'm also curious about what accessories he'll come with -- Armaggon in the game had attacks he didn't have in the comics (and vice versa, since I vaguely recall him firing his shoulder missiles in the comics), and we don't have any precedent for fighting game characters in the video game line. But if he comes with his projectile attack and some kind of tsunami wave, I'll prefer that version (even if I do end up repainting it) over a scaled down Archie release.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 pm

TENIME_art wrote:Haha, that is the official Archie sourcebook!

ImageImage
Are they easily obtained these days or have they been collected?
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm

I’m guessing if NECA does Archie it will lean more towards the toony art from the adventure series and not the sourcebook art. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that’s what most associate Archie and TMNT with.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Sourcebook is more like here’s the art from the creators and comic book artists that we referenced to make characters for our cartoony, cute comic.
Evil Monkey Pope
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 am

The regular art wasn't necessarily cutesy.
Detrimental_Fig
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 am

I would definitely dig one based on that cover art.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 am

Well, since they have this mold already, I doubt they'll make a different one, certainly not scaled down, let alone a sculpt difference. I fully expect them to just repaint it if they'll offer it at all (maybe it'll be the comic crate figure for year 3 or sometime in the future).

As for the scarcity of the sourcebooks, I dunno. Check eBay. I didn't pay a lot for the fresher copies, but that was at least 6 or so years ago. And they were not collected to my knowledge. I have all the Archie trades, but they're not included (nor is the 6 issue storyline where they go to the Middle East, and while most of the Mutanimals' 8-9 issues are spread out through the trades chronologically where appropriate, one is missing, though it wasn't part of the aforementioned story, IIRC).
weizie
CROM!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:02 pm

TENIME_art wrote:Well, since they have this mold already, I doubt they'll make a different one, certainly not scaled down, let alone a sculpt difference. I fully expect them to just repaint it if they'll offer it at all (maybe it'll be the comic crate figure for year 3 or sometime in the future).

As for the scarcity of the sourcebooks, I dunno. Check eBay. I didn't pay a lot for the fresher copies, but that was at least 6 or so years ago. And they were not collected to my knowledge. I have all the Archie trades, but they're not included (nor is the 6 issue storyline where they go to the Middle East, and while most of the Mutanimals' 8-9 issues are spread out through the trades chronologically where appropriate, one is missing, though it wasn't part of the aforementioned story, IIRC).
Generally id agree with you. But baxter stockman toon vs game figures appear to be massively different and different sizes as well

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:47 pm

That's a good point. Baxter could be a unique case where the video game sculpt (or at least much of it) is being used on a human Baxter in the cartoon line. If they don't get to Archie for awhile, they might be more willing to do some re-tooling for a new release. I think it's more likely the bulk of the mold gets reused, but NECA could surprise us. This one is clearly using some Rocksteady parts, and maybe they make a new figure between now and then that includes parts that would work even better for an Archie Armaggon. Based on what we've seen, I think this would work fine as an Archie release, but I'm not very familiar with Archie so those who are more invested in it might feel differently.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:04 am

Archie is the only familiarity I have with the character (never got around to his 2012 episode/s), and I think this would be fine, just without the pixels.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:10 am

I know him mostly for the game, so if this is where they want to pivot, I’m all for more Tournament Fighters characters.

Give me War, Aska, Hothead, and Karai. Dip into the Genesis ones and give me Ray Fillet. Id rebuy the TMNT too with effects from the games. Give me Mikey belching out a fireball.

Id maybe even take a Sisyphus.

Shredder also had a somewhat unique design as well, opting for a sleeveless look.

Nobody has ever touched Tournament Fighters in terms of merchandise and I’m here for it.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 am

I know I could easily Google all the characters whom I am unfamiliar with, but could you share pics for everyone to see?
Wes Crayon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 am

Roufuss wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:10 am
I know him mostly for the game, so if this is where they want to pivot, I’m all for more Tournament Fighters characters.

Give me War, Aska, Hothead, and Karai. Dip into the Genesis ones and give me Ray Fillet. Id rebuy the TMNT too with effects from the games. Give me Mikey belching out a fireball.
It occurs to me that those Loyal Subjects TMNT aren't a terrible style match for TF, at least the SNES version. Hmmm.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”