NECA: TMNT Loot Crate Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: NECA TMNT Loot Crate Series

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:05 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:01 am
Slixta wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:07 am
I'll be customizing him to look more animated esque like I did with Slash.
Pictures? I'd be interested to see how he looks animated.

christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:09 am

That looks really good. What did you use as a sealant?
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:47 am

christianpyro wrote:
I'm not a good customizer so I didn't lol

The only thing painted on him is the shell and under belly, which was just a really light coat.

After boiling and popping the entire figure apart, I stripped all the pixelation off with nail polish remover piece by piece.

The only reason I even needed to paint anything is because the belly is not cast in the same color it was painted. I took too many layers off stripping it and needed to fix it. I think that's why I needed to paint the shell too?

The black lines are just precision tip sharpie, cuz it gave it the soft look the lines on the Turtles have.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:43 am

Slixta wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:47 am
christianpyro wrote:
I'm not a good customizer so I didn't lol

The only thing painted on him is the shell and under belly, which was just a really light coat.

After boiling and popping the entire figure apart, I stripped all the pixelation off with nail polish remover piece by piece.

The only reason I even needed to paint anything is because the belly is not cast in the same color it was painted. I took too many layers off stripping it and needed to fix it. I think that's why I needed to paint the shell too?

The black lines are just precision tip sharpie, cuz it gave it the soft look the lines on the Turtles have.

It turned out well. I'm taking notes. :D
weizie
CROM!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:19 am

I get not being a fan of the pixelation. But when you look at the source material, you can't sit there and say you cant see the pixelation on it. You do they are just "smaller", but the pixelation is blatant

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:13 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:00 am
16-bit and even 32-bit are all pixel sprite based art. However, "pixel art" has always been associated with 8-bit because of the aesthetics. It's dense to try and argue otherwise.
Pixel art is just art made with pixels. If you don't come across tons of SNES inspired pixel-art in your travels through the video game art world (Nintendo even made an entire game based around the concept in Mario Paint), then I don't know what to tell ya. The only one being dense is the one saying "my interpretation of art is the only correct one." NECA includes it on their gaming figures because it's representative of the source material. I very much doubt they care if it resembles a convention exclusive Batman figure they did years ago based on an 8-bit game. No one has to like it, but they're approach is more than justified by the source material.

For those that like this sort of thing, Twitter user Uncle J (@Mesademon149) posted a comparison of the figure against a Rocksteady he disassembled. Looks like Armaggon will be using at least the torso of that figure:

PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:00 pm

So, what are the odds Armaggon gets a non-Loot Crate release in a different deco? Would love to have that figure for the sculpt - but would want to repaint it, and not at all interested in paying for a Loot Crate full of other things i won't care about at all. I know a number of the video game inspired figures have also been released in cartoon paint jobs - do we think that's likely with this one?
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:09 pm

I'd say wait to see if I can afford to sub.

If I can get even just his crate, they'll definitely release him in a better paint job, and no one will even want the pixelated version.

If I can't get him, then this will be the only way he'll come, lol. :|
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:45 pm

PantherCult wrote:
So, what are the odds Armaggon gets a non-Loot Crate release in a different deco? Would love to have that figure for the sculpt - but would want to repaint it, and not at all interested in paying for a Loot Crate full of other things i won't care about at all. I know a number of the video game inspired figures have also been released in cartoon paint jobs - do we think that's likely with this one?
Probably? However, we have no official word of NECA doing Archie stuff and the only thing we know for sure is that they lack the license to do so at this time. They're pivoting to Mirage for their specialty shop releases so a hypothetical Archie line is likely more than a year away, for now. I would suspect they'd love to double-dip with figures like this and the other Mutanimals at some point, but it's not guaranteed. If you don't want to wait two years, you may want to grab him. TENIME_art is right too though that once a non-pixel version is announced the value of this one will likely crater (it might drop anyway after the initial secondary rush following release), but if you've had it and enjoyed it for a couple of years that's worth something too.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:43 pm

OK, so probably don't want to roll the dice and wait, then the calculus then comes down to paying $50 to get my shark man figure and some other odds and ends ... or paying $200 to get 5 figures and a bunch of other junk. The odds are that i can sell of the other 4 figures i don't care about as well as the rest of the crate things and make all of the $200 back. But i have to convince my wife that the $200 outlay now means eventually i basically get my shark figure for free.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:11 am

Well, my point was if I'm trying to buy something, it's astronomically priced, but if I'm trying to sell something, I can't even get rid of it at a loss, lol. The universe hates me like that.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:13 am

PantherCult wrote:
Well see that's the other issue, Armaggon was never on the cartoon. So getting him in a cartton inspired deco is probably slim to none chances. Especially as there is no precedent for NECA doing that.
Popoman
CROM?

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:16 am

I'm glad I ordered these crates, I have a soft spot for Armaggon from the SNES fighting game. I used to play it a lot as a kid. Obviously a shark man is pretty cool, so I picked him a lot.

The pixelated deco isn't my favorite but I understand why they do it. I mean, they could just as easily not do it too and it would still be a representation of the game. But whatever. Not a deal breaker for me.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 am

I just don’t know if he looks like this in a non pixel medium. Slash is different but that’s head and accessories change. Shark boy looks wildly different in style and size that I don’t know if just a repaint will happen.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:22 am

I don't see them repainting Armaggon in cartoon style, but without going full forensics on it, his video game design appears to be the same as his Archie comics design, which Trevor expressed interest in, and now that they have the mold.......

EDIT:

I mean...99% match?

EDIT EDIT:
And actually, the art of his first appearance matches the figure/video game more than the sourcebook art...
Warning! FRAT! :

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”