Playmates: TMNT Miscellaneous

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Detrimental_Fig
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:17 am



This isn't Playmates related, but I didn't think this needed a new thread. Yet. Rumor list that makes it sound like Hasbro will be giving us the Power Ranger crossover TMNT in the Lightening Collection?
User avatar
Psychography
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:26 am

That's interesting. Rumors in the Transformers fandom said that Playmates nixed a Transformers / TMNT crossover Party Wagon. I hope the corporate synergy between Hasbro and Nickelodeon is strong enough to make these happen!
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Psychography wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:26 am
That's interesting. Rumors in the Transformers fandom said that Playmates nixed a Transformers / TMNT crossover Party Wagon. I hope the corporate synergy between Hasbro and Nickelodeon is strong enough to make these happen!
That’s too bad. It could have made up for the cancelled Party Wagon from the vintage line that was supposed to transform (“mutate”) into an oversized Metalhead.
Detrimental_Fig
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Image

Playmates...it's time to stop.
TwEE-N-Toast
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:26 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 pm

They do suck for their intended purpose but they have a bit of charm to them.

Just make those glow in the dark and they would make good ghost turtles for a The Last Ronin display, or pair them with Captain Crunch and they make perfect Soggies.
User avatar
MikeTRobot
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm

We all need to stop supporting these low effort playmates releases. Otherwise we will keep getting them over and over and over.
User avatar
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Playmates is totally Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 pm

By the way, this set costs $110.
User avatar
Maximoff
no more subnics
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Hiney
Posts: 8413
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Misfit wrote:By the way, this set costs $110.
How? Even at $25 a figure which is high for that lack of quality that would be $100. $20 at most per figure should be regular retail. Only reason I said $25 is because it’s clearly for comic shops.

It’s like they don’t know other companies are making incredible TMNT figures for collectors.
User avatar
VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Somebody needs to tell Playmates that the reason the original NECA Mirage figures were successful was because of their dedicated, accurate sculpts to those original comics, the great paint apps that brought out that sculpt, and the fantastic articulation. It feels like they're constantly chasing that years old success without ever actually understanding why people liked those figures.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 38806
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm

MikeTRobot wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm
We all need to stop supporting these low effort playmates releases. Otherwise we will keep getting them over and over and over.
Who is actually still buying these? If it's anyone here, I shall point and laugh like Nelson from the Simpsons. I don't know how to post gifs.
User avatar
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:10 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:29 pm

NORM wrote:
MikeTRobot wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm
We all need to stop supporting these low effort playmates releases. Otherwise we will keep getting them over and over and over.
Who is actually still buying these? If it's anyone here, I shall point and laugh like Nelson from the Simpsons. I don't know how to post gifs.
Just a matter of time before they repaint him into a ninja turtle too . . .Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6396
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 pm

NORM wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm
MikeTRobot wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm
We all need to stop supporting these low effort playmates releases. Otherwise we will keep getting them over and over and over.
Who is actually still buying these? If it's anyone here, I shall point and laugh like Nelson from the Simpsons. I don't know how to post gifs.
I bought the SDCC Turtle Van set and preordered the new villain one, but I use them as wall decoration in my toy room. They scratch that nostalgia itch without spending a fortune on the old carded figures.

But I skipped the Movie Stars ones because they aren’t accurate, and the Mirage set looks terrible as does this.

I’d be content if Playmates just kept re-releasing their old figures (but different ones, of course), but I think they are sitting on a ton of money by just sticking to the early figures.

Even if they have to remake the old molds, they would make a killing by reissuing Scratch, Hot Spot, and Shogun Shoate. Hell, Hasbro just remade the Beast Wars Rattrap vintage figure just to reissue it, apparently the original mold was lost.

Call it the TMNT Most Wanted collection. Make it a bunch of rare figures that would excite vintage and new collectors alike. If they put some money into their back catalog, they could do some awesome, unique stuff.
User avatar
BigYojimbo
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:30 pm

I wish Playmates would make some effort at least. I know their sculpts share a lot of reuse, but the way Mattel has gone back and added a bit more articulation to their Origins figures is exactly what I would like to see Playmates do with their vintage re-releases.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 38806
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am

Roufuss wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 pm
NORM wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm
MikeTRobot wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm
We all need to stop supporting these low effort playmates releases. Otherwise we will keep getting them over and over and over.
Who is actually still buying these? If it's anyone here, I shall point and laugh like Nelson from the Simpsons. I don't know how to post gifs.
I bought the SDCC Turtle Van set and preordered the new villain one, but I use them as wall decoration in my toy room. They scratch that nostalgia itch without spending a fortune on the old carded figures.

But I skipped the Movie Stars ones because they aren’t accurate, and the Mirage set looks terrible as does this.

I’d be content if Playmates just kept re-releasing their old figures (but different ones, of course), but I think they are sitting on a ton of money by just sticking to the early figures.

Even if they have to remake the old molds, they would make a killing by reissuing Scratch, Hot Spot, and Shogun Shoate. Hell, Hasbro just remade the Beast Wars Rattrap vintage figure just to reissue it, apparently the original mold was lost.

Call it the TMNT Most Wanted collection. Make it a bunch of rare figures that would excite vintage and new collectors alike. If they put some money into their back catalog, they could do some awesome, unique stuff.
I guess I was referring more to this particular mold that's been reused now a fourth time. It was a lame figure to begin with, but has gotten lamer with each reuse.

I agree, I'd buy rereleases of vintage sculpts. No added articulation, just straight reissues. I've gotten the TRU reissues to open, though I wish I had kept those carded. I bought the 4pk at GameStop. Then I bought the ones that came in the cardboard Party Wagon with Splinter and Shredder (to keep carded). I'm tempted by the bad guy reissue set. They're overpriced though, and I always feel like sucker when I get them.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”