Playmates: TMNT Miscellaneous

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Other Playmates TMNT lines

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:25 am

I thought these figures were pretty decent when they came out. The hatred for them was a bit unjustified. The hinged hands are easily the worst part. Not making at least new heads for these is a shame. And fix the hands. Obviously these exist with the barest amount of effort

What's really a shame is Playmates was really at the head of the collector game in the 90s. Sculptwise anyway. And also made a killer Exosquad line. They need some new blood over there to shake things up.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28 am

Wes Crayon wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 am
Rogers1938 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 am
My wife just said, “That’s something you get out of cereal box. Not an adult collectible.”
The flip cereal are y'all eating?? I need that cereal. $2-4 for a box of cereal and a toy of this quality is a hella good deal. :lol:

For for $25... not so much. I'd disagree with VonDoom62's contention that the TMNT never looked like this in the Mirage comics -- a LOT of artists worked on that book over the years and drew the TMNT very differently, and I'm almost certain this would more/less map to one of those styles. But it's still a pretty lazy release, and I have no interest in picking it up whatsoever. (Well, unless it ends up on deep clearance. I'd pay $5-10 for one, if only to use as a sort of evil TMNT clone in Shredder's employ.)

That said, I *do* like the look of them. If Playmates could shrink these molds down and reduce the price (I did like the size of their previous Mirage releases, but that sculpted shading was just gross), they'd be welcome additions to my TMNT collection. Honestly, Playmates should just release those Shredder/Krang figures they showed some years back at Toy Fair -- NECA's figures are better, but at least I've seen Playmates toys in the wild. (I was able to buy the Playmates classic Bebop & Rocksteady at TRU way back when; I've still never seen the NECA figures. A friend does have a set for me, though!) There are plenty of unreleased 2012 figures that I'd jump at the chance to buy. Heck, even some of the Rise toys they showed would be aces (for those of us who do enjoy the show, anyway). These just seem like a thing nobody asked for and almost nobody will want and I don't understand the point of them.
Maybe so. You're right in that a lot of artists worked on the book with a ton of varied styles, so maybe there is an appearance where they looked like the cartoon Turtles but in red and brown. Hard to say. Either way, it's still definitely not a look that's associated with the Mirage comics like Eastman & Laird's early style or Jim Lawson's style.

Speaking of unreleased products, I wonder if they still have the molds for these?

If so, they would have been far better off actually releasing these instead.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:48 am

You're about the 50th person I've seen say you'd like those figures released.... But those figures got ragged to hell and back when Playmates showed them off. Proof that Playmates can do no right in most people's eyes.

As for me, these are an easy pass, but I see what Playmates was doing here. They're just putting out product to bide time until the new TMNT show releases. These aren't that awful in that regard even if the effort is minimal.
VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 am

I mean, I'm not saying I would like for them to be released. I'm just saying, they probably would have been better off doing that rather than these cheap repaints. Frankly, I don't think those unreleased figures even look that good. They look fine, but the articulation looks mediocre and they were an obviously hasty attempt by Playmates to cash-in on how successful NECA's line was. Not to mention, they were gonna be in a line with these awful figures.

While I do think it's a little unfortunate the Turtles were never released, I'm honestly pretty glad neither of these saw the light of day.
SpiderHulkThing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 am

TENIME_art wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:45 pm
Hey, Playmates, if you REALLY wanna print money? Go back to the vintage rereleases. You are for your "SDCC exclusive." Now pick it back up where you left off with Toys'R'Us (though I've sadly since spent way more than TRU was charging for the ACTUAL vintage figures to try to catch up).

Super7 & eBay sellers are proving those old molds & paint schemes are in heavy desire.
This.

But rerelease the oddball mutants too.I would much rather have Triceraton, Slash, Dirtbag, Groundchuck etc than than outfit turtles.
Samurai8472
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Oh good. At least the eyes won't be wonky anymore >_>
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:24 pm

SpiderHulkThing wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 am
TENIME_art wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:45 pm
Hey, Playmates, if you REALLY wanna print money? Go back to the vintage rereleases. You are for your "SDCC exclusive." Now pick it back up where you left off with Toys'R'Us (though I've sadly since spent way more than TRU was charging for the ACTUAL vintage figures to try to catch up).

Super7 & eBay sellers are proving those old molds & paint schemes are in heavy desire.
This.

But rerelease the oddball mutants too.I would much rather have Triceraton, Slash, Dirtbag, Groundchuck etc than than outfit turtles.
Oh, absolutely. I didn't purchase their last wave at TRU, because it was just military/sports Turtles, while we were still missing April & Casey, of all figures.
thefamousnicknaro
CROM!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Those unreleased figures were for the regular line, if I remember. I don’t think they were meant to be “collector grade”.
KarlSpace
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm

It's too bad that those unreleased turtles are the closest we've come to getting some decent Mirage, later issue design turtles. I mean, they're really not perfect, and would have had playmates articulation, but still.

I'd really love to see NECA take a stab at the turtle designs that Eastman and Laird settled on after the first few issues. Basically the Mondo figures scaled down to 1:12.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:34 pm

KarlSpace wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm
It's too bad that those unreleased turtles are the closest we've come to getting some decent Mirage, later issue design turtles. I mean, they're really not perfect, and would have had playmates articulation, but still.

I'd really love to see NECA take a stab at the turtle designs that Eastman and Laird settled on after the first few issues. Basically the Mondo figures scaled down to 1:12.
If NECA ever goes back to the Mirage turtles and does new sculpts I hope they model them off of the cover of issue #4. Most know that as the cover of the NES video game.
KarlSpace
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Misfit wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:34 pm
If NECA ever goes back to the Mirage turtles and does new sculpts I hope they model them off of the cover of issue #4. Most know that as the cover of the NES video game.
Interesting, looking at that cover here:
https://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/ ... 04/04.html

You're talking about the second printing in 1987? That's a pretty iconic look. I'd love to get the style represented in the misprint cover right below it. You could probably achieve both looks with the same base body and 2 different head sculpts.
kboe1313
HULK SMASH!

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:43 pm

I wish a Mirage Shredder was with this release. If I felt confident this wasn't a lazy one-off, I would totally pick these up. Mostly because I've no luck with the NECA turtles
Wavehawk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 am

KnightDamien wrote:Is Playmates just run by some of the most clueless human beings on earth or....?
More like: Oo!adults are paying big money to buy a 20 year old obsolete toy! Let's put out the same thing and charge them more!

..eg the same logic that was behind the foil cover insanity of 90s comics...

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Samurai8472
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:04 pm

I didn't know where to put this but bluefin is having a sale on the figuart turtles. They're 35 dollars each. Regular is 65 dollars
Romaji
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 pm

I just grabbed a set of the Classics Secret of the Ooze Turtles (have the Cartoon versions on way too, but chose these over the 90s movie versions since more accessories). They're kind neat, love all the accessories they come with, like the sausage chucks, mop, manhole cover, pizza, and donut box, and 4 heads per turtle.

Main issues with them is loose joints, so don't stand well, and they can't hold things very well due to articulated fingers.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”