Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7 TMNT Ultimates

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Toydome wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:16 pm
So am I really crazy to think S7 should focus more on TMNT than the other lines?

Yes.
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:58 am

Toydome wrote:
BigYojimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:50 pm
christianpyro wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 am
I am confused.... I get the Matrix references, but why are folks using them?
Complaints about why Super7 doesn't just focus on TMNT and quit their other lines.
Sorry I’ll stop.

My only last point I’ll make, to prove to myself that I’m not crazy, is that the fwoosh has two separate sub forms, one for turtles and one for thundercats.

I know we had a server wipe. But enough time has passed to make this statistically significant.

There’s currently about 500 posts on the tcats forum. Compared to 8500 on the TMNT,

TMNT has a 17x more popularity in discussing toys about them then thundercats on this forum.

So am I really crazy to think S7 should focus more on TMNT than the other lines?
So you're comparing a forum where one company holds the license to a forum where more than a few companies holds the license and has multiple threads for each iteration? NECA alone has seven separate threads. TMNT Ultimates has one.

Comparing the two Super7 threads, ThunderCats has about 500 posts, TMNT has 1800. No one disputes that TMNT is more popular. But by your own standards, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer than your 17x.

So yeah. Ya crazy.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 am

Toydome wrote:

Honestly, no. I don't think you are crazy. I think your approach may be off though. There is something to be said about striking while the iron is hot. I am not in favor of Super7 giving up their other lines. I collect some of those other lines :wink:

But you have a point. TMNT seems to be putting Super7 on the map in a way I have not seen with their other lines. I see talk of other lines every once in a while on social media, but not like I see TMNT, which I see talked about almost every day. And I think its success is bringing light to their other offerings as a company. I know that I was more willing to jump into Thundercats after getting some of their TMNT in hand.

Super7 has a license for only a few years. Hopefully it is extended. But if Playmates starts producing TMNT at retail again between now and then, it very well might not be. At the end of their run if you asked me if I would prefer if they doubled they amount of figures they made at the time, I would say yes. I would say yes to any line I like. :D

I get that these are expensive, and if they released too many at once I may not be able to afford them all at the time. But I would rather they exist than not. I have the opportunity to pick them up later (yes at a markup, but at least I can make that choice).

If TMNT is outperforming Super7's other lines, then yes, as a business I think I would run with it and release more if I could. Put other things on the backburner and bet on the star team. That's not a crazy notion. But we don't have all the facts. This may not even be possible. It may not be even doing as well as I suspect.
PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:02 am

christianpyro wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 am
Toydome wrote:

Honestly, no. I don't think you are crazy. I think your approach may be off though. There is something to be said about striking while the iron is hot. I am not in favor of Super7 giving up their other lines. I collect some of those other lines :wink:

But you have a point. TMNT seems to be putting Super7 on the map in a way I have not seen with their other lines. I see talk of other lines every once in a while on social media, but not like I see TMNT, which I see talked about almost every day. And I think its success is bringing light to their other offerings as a company. I know that I was more willing to jump into Thundercats after getting some of their TMNT in hand.

Super7 has a license for only a few years. Hopefully it is extended. But if Playmates starts producing TMNT at retail again between now and then, it very well might not be. At the end of their run if you asked me if I would prefer if they doubled they amount of figures they made at the time, I would say yes. I would say yes to any line I like. :D

I get that these are expensive, and if they released too many at once I may not be able to afford them all at the time. But I would rather they exist than not. I have the opportunity to pick them up later (yes at a markup, but at least I can make that choice).

If TMNT is outperforming Super7's other lines, then yes, as a business I think I would run with it and release more if I could. Put other things on the backburner and bet on the star team. That's not a crazy notion. But we don't have all the facts. This may not even be possible. It may not be even doing as well as I suspect.
Everything I've seen suggests S7's license is tied to figures, not years. If they pumped them out twice as fast, the license would end twice as fast.
useasneeded4pain
Customized

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 am

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm
Toydome wrote:
Yes.
I wish S7 TMNT would focus on TMNT that NECA hasn't made/isn't making. I get it, S7 needs to produce core characters to appeal to more collectors, but NECA has beaten them to the punch on almost everything so far (Mutagen Man excluded). If S7 continues the path they've shown through 4 waves of somewhat following the original Playmates release pattern we're going to be waiting awhile for more unique stuff.

Sooner than later, I want stuff NECA hasn't made. Give me Pizza Face, Sgt. Bananas, Scratch, Hot Spot. I think it's a missed opportunity to fill some gaps for "Adult collectible" TMNT figures that no one else has made. I like most of their figures, but it's more Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, etc etc I already have in several variations.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:50 pm

Not that I don't want to see some of the more toycentric characters, but I think given time Super7 will eventually get to all of these. My hope for this line would be akin to MOTU Classics in the long run; where they make just about everyone you could want.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:38 pm

I'm pretty sure Super7 has a solid understanding of what people want and expect from this line. I think we've seen a lot of overlap with NECA so far because Super7 clearly prioritized the inaugural 1988 release of figures, which they will soon be done with. Characters like Baxter and Muckman were also favorites internally, so they did those. They're not going to get their stuff out as quickly as NECA, which has really exploded in the past year with no sign of slowing down. Being ahead of them just isn't something Super7 should even concern themselves with. And there is going to be more overlap because people are asking for Slash, Triceraton, Wignut, Rat King, etc. We know we're getting the disguise series (Samurai Leo, Space Cadet Raph, etc.) so those will be figures that NECA isn't touching (well, except for the undercover Don, to a degree) and if they don't do characters like Hot Head and Scratch I'll be surprised as people are really asking for them. Though, personally, I'd rather they not touch Scratch as the only thing interesting about the vintage figure is that he's rare.
mattmurdog
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:37 am

Misfit wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:38 pm
I'm pretty sure Super7 has a solid understanding of what people want and expect from this line. I think we've seen a lot of overlap with NECA so far because Super7 clearly prioritized the inaugural 1988 release of figures, which they will soon be done with. Characters like Baxter and Muckman were also favorites internally, so they did those. They're not going to get their stuff out as quickly as NECA, which has really exploded in the past year with no sign of slowing down. Being ahead of them just isn't something Super7 should even concern themselves with. And there is going to be more overlap because people are asking for Slash, Triceraton, Wignut, Rat King, etc. We know we're getting the disguise series (Samurai Leo, Space Cadet Raph, etc.) so those will be figures that NECA isn't touching (well, except for the undercover Don, to a degree) and if they don't do characters like Hot Head and Scratch I'll be surprised as people are really asking for them. Though, personally, I'd rather they not touch Scratch as the only thing interesting about the vintage figure is that he's rare.
What? No mentioning of the fan favorite and "release or we riot" April O’Neil The Ravishing Reporter?
samhain2731
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Just got splinter in the mail and he has a bad paint chip in the middle of his right eye.
There was no mention of it in the eBay listing and it wasn’t visible in the pictures.
How frustrating :lol:
Now I’m stuck with a splinter that looks like he has one pupil.
Astrophro
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 pm

samhain2731 wrote:Just got splinter in the mail and he has a bad paint chip in the middle of his right eye.
There was no mention of it in the eBay listing and it wasn’t visible in the pictures.
How frustrating Image
Bummer, but pretty easy fix, right? Just a little dab of paint or a white marker?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

KarlSpace
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:17 pm

useasneeded4pain wrote:
I wish S7 TMNT would focus on TMNT that NECA hasn't made/isn't making. I get it, S7 needs to produce core characters to appeal to more collectors, but NECA has beaten them to the punch on almost everything so far (Mutagen Man excluded). If S7 continues the path they've shown through 4 waves of somewhat following the original Playmates release pattern we're going to be waiting awhile for more unique stuff.

Sooner than later, I want stuff NECA hasn't made. Give me Pizza Face, Sgt. Bananas, Scratch, Hot Spot. I think it's a missed opportunity to fill some gaps for "Adult collectible" TMNT figures that no one else has made. I like most of their figures, but it's more Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, etc etc I already have in several variations.
So far, the Super7 figs I have have me looking at my Neca cartoon shelf and wondering if I'm going to keep any of them. Probably just the 4 turtles and the 4 main baddies, otherwise, they're just really soft sculpts when compared to the more dynamic sculpting that S7 is offering. Of course that comes from the cartoon source material, but I can't shake the feeling that S7 is just making better looking toys.

What's unfortunate is that the Neca stuff is better built and will stand up to repeated posing, while the hard plastic S7 is using has me worried that they'll get really loose as time goes on, especially in the hips. Why they're not using a softer plastic is beyond me.
tatooinesandworm
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 pm

KarlSpace wrote:
useasneeded4pain wrote:

So far, the Super7 figs I have have me looking at my Neca cartoon shelf and wondering if I'm going to keep any of them. Probably just the 4 turtles and the 4 main baddies, otherwise, they're just really soft sculpts when compared to the more dynamic sculpting that S7 is offering. Of course that comes from the cartoon source material, but I can't shake the feeling that S7 is just making better looking toys.

What's unfortunate is that the Neca stuff is better built and will stand up to repeated posing, while the hard plastic S7 is using has me worried that they'll get really loose as time goes on, especially in the hips. Why they're not using a softer plastic is beyond me.
Softer plastic makes the paint adhesion harder. There have been lots of complaints about the NECA cartoon stuff flaking paint. However the harder plastic NECA movie stuff doesn't seen to suffer the same issue.
KarlSpace
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:59 pm

tatooinesandworm wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 pm
KarlSpace wrote:

Softer plastic makes the paint adhesion harder. There have been lots of complaints about the NECA cartoon stuff flaking paint. However the harder plastic NECA movie stuff doesn't seen to suffer the same issue.
Hm. I haven't heard of any paint flaking issues, or seen it on my Neca stuff. I mean, there's lots of different softer plastics that companies are using. The new MOTU origins is maybe too soft, but i love the matte finish of the bare plastic. Whatever Hasbro is using for their 6" lines. I actually think the Black Series plastic is ideal, it's hard enough to hold poses but feels good in the hand.
samhain2731
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:59 am

Astrophro wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 pm
samhain2731 wrote:Just got splinter in the mail and he has a bad paint chip in the middle of his right eye.
How frustrating Image
Bummer, but pretty easy fix, right? Just a little dab of paint or a white marker?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Yeah I should be able to fix it pretty easily.
I really don’t mind stuff like that but I don’t like it to be a surprise.
If the seller had been upfront about it I would have expected something that needed to be fixed and wouldn’t have been so disappointed seeing it.

He is a really great figure though.
I love his accessories.
Opening him up and playing with him gave me flashbacks of taking the original to elementary school for show and tell and having to take him home without his robe because some other kid stole it :lol:
deathbunny32
Mattel Maniac!

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:52 pm

As someone who is cherry picking and was thoroughly satisfied with the Neca Bebop, the Super7 version is friggin amazing and I'd recommend it thoroughly to anyone who is a little iffy or on the fence. Maybe it's because he's so much bigger now or because he's more of an important character, but seriously, if you are thinking about Bebop go get him.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”