Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
User avatar
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:58 pm

Contrast is much better on the in package shot than the oop shot. I'll reserve judgement until I have him in hand. I've been happy with this line as a whole, personally.
User avatar
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: The city with the Arch
Posts: 4773
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:19 am

I'm chomping at the bit for BBTS to get in Samurai Leo, Sewer Surfin' Mike, and Scratch. I want Krang, and to a lesser extent the Mousers and Ace Duck. But I'm trying to pace myself and my spending. I have Slash already in my POL and my oldest item needs to ship in 20 days. So I hope at least one of the three hits, and then I'll ship the whole kit-and-kaboodle.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1420
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 am

zodach wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:56 pm
LaserLips wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am
Anyone else bothered that Sewer Surfin' Mikey has yellow sleeves instead of the greenish color from the original?

The original cardback artwork had yellow sleeves and flippers, so maybe that is what Super7 was going for.
Worth noting: Super7 doesn't have a license to remake Playmates toys. They have a license to make toys based on the Mirage Studios artwork that was used to design and promote those toys.
LaserLips
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:20 pm

PG-Superfan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 am
zodach wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:56 pm
LaserLips wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am
Anyone else bothered that Sewer Surfin' Mikey has yellow sleeves instead of the greenish color from the original?

The original cardback artwork had yellow sleeves and flippers, so maybe that is what Super7 was going for.
Worth noting: Super7 doesn't have a license to remake Playmates toys. They have a license to make toys based on the Mirage Studios artwork that was used to design and promote those toys.
That's interesting. I mean, wow.
User avatar
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:46 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:55 pm

Toy Bro Sewer Surfer Mike review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSjAKv ... nel=ToyBro

I have to say, this one looks pretty damn good. Fantastic paint, no QC issues. I do wish he came with some more hand options (maybe a 'surfs up' gesture?), recycling everything from the standard release feels lazy. And I don't like that the surfboard has a sticker, should have been printed like Mondo's skateboard. Also, it seems to be kind of cumbersome to put on the sunglasses.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1420
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:13 pm

LaserLips wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:20 pm
PG-Superfan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 am
zodach wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:56 pm



The original cardback artwork had yellow sleeves and flippers, so maybe that is what Super7 was going for.
Worth noting: Super7 doesn't have a license to remake Playmates toys. They have a license to make toys based on the Mirage Studios artwork that was used to design and promote those toys.
That's interesting. I mean, wow.
Technically, Super7 and NECA have the same license: everything Nickelodeon owns through around 2014 or so (plus NECA added The Last Ronin to their license). Super7 just chose to stick to the toy designs and NECA chose to do cartoons and comics. Nickelodeon doesn't own all of the toy designs, just the stuff from Mirage's archive of design work.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16853
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:30 pm

Freditor wrote: I have to say, this one looks pretty damn good. Fantastic paint, no QC issues. I do wish he came with some more hand options (maybe a 'surfs up' gesture?), recycling everything from the standard release feels lazy. And I don't like that the surfboard has a sticker, should have been printed like Mondo's skateboard. Also, it seems to be kind of cumbersome to put on the sunglasses.
:lol:
Feels very Super7: "It's a great figure except for the things they did poorly."

And I say that fully agreeing. He looks really nice. Surfboard absolutely should have been a tampo -- stickers are cheap and have no place on a mid-range or above collectible. The lack of different expressive hands, like Mondo got, is disappointing. TB says the figure feels sturdier and has no issues, and proves it by shaking the figure, but I mean.... it really looked like there was a lot of wiggle in the lower torso/hip area that shouldn't be there, even so. Maybe not enough to make it so the figure can barely stand like some of them, but that's still looser than it should be, from what I can see in the video.

I -completely- understand why, but it's disappointing that there's basically no paint on his belt. That figure is loaded with paint apps. I'm not mad about it. I don't think it's Super7 just being cheap trash. Nothing like that. But it's still a bit of a bummer. Even just a few small paint hits would have really helped break up that solid brick of neon around his waist.

Both heads are great. Everything besides what's noted above legitimately looks really good. I wish my FAVORITE vintage Turtle figure had turned out as good.

PG-Superfan wrote: Worth noting: Super7 doesn't have a license to remake Playmates toys. They have a license to make toys based on the Mirage Studios artwork that was used to design and promote those toys.
Are you sure this is accurate? Where did you hear that?
Not calling you a liar, it's just that there's so many interviews and stuff, I'm sure I've missed plenty of them over the last few years.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1420
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:59 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:30 pm
Freditor wrote: I have to say, this one looks pretty damn good. Fantastic paint, no QC issues. I do wish he came with some more hand options (maybe a 'surfs up' gesture?), recycling everything from the standard release feels lazy. And I don't like that the surfboard has a sticker, should have been printed like Mondo's skateboard. Also, it seems to be kind of cumbersome to put on the sunglasses.
:lol:
Feels very Super7: "It's a great figure except for the things they did poorly."

And I say that fully agreeing. He looks really nice. Surfboard absolutely should have been a tampo -- stickers are cheap and have no place on a mid-range or above collectible. The lack of different expressive hands, like Mondo got, is disappointing. TB says the figure feels sturdier and has no issues, and proves it by shaking the figure, but I mean.... it really looked like there was a lot of wiggle in the lower torso/hip area that shouldn't be there, even so. Maybe not enough to make it so the figure can barely stand like some of them, but that's still looser than it should be, from what I can see in the video.

I -completely- understand why, but it's disappointing that there's basically no paint on his belt. That figure is loaded with paint apps. I'm not mad about it. I don't think it's Super7 just being cheap trash. Nothing like that. But it's still a bit of a bummer. Even just a few small paint hits would have really helped break up that solid brick of neon around his waist.

Both heads are great. Everything besides what's noted above legitimately looks really good. I wish my FAVORITE vintage Turtle figure had turned out as good.

PG-Superfan wrote: Worth noting: Super7 doesn't have a license to remake Playmates toys. They have a license to make toys based on the Mirage Studios artwork that was used to design and promote those toys.
Are you sure this is accurate? Where did you hear that?
Not calling you a liar, it's just that there's so many interviews and stuff, I'm sure I've missed plenty of them over the last few years.
Agreed about the stickers. That turned me off on the Party Wagon. For $500, I don't want peeling stickers ever.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1420
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:03 pm

As for how I know about their license, here's what I do know from way too many interviews:

They don't have rights to everything Playmates did. Forgotten Sewer was given by Flynn as an example. He's said they have rights to everything Nickelodeon has rights to within the covered time period. It's my speculation that the rights are Mirage art based.
Their rights cover everything through 2014.
Flynn's said that he and NECA have the same license and that the focus on toys or cartoons is voluntary.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4300
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Super7 also works with Varner Studios for this line, so they have access to any artwork they retained over the years. Mirage designed a lot of characters, but not all, and Varner did a lot of the variant stuff in-house. Mirage basically owned everything though, even if they don't physically possess the original art. Forgotten Sewer might be one of those rare bits that Playmates trademarked on their own, and since a bunch of the material for it went unreleased, it might not be owned by Mirage, and now Viacom. Or, Flynn had no idea what it was when asked about it and made an off the cuff remark. I don't think there's anything necessarily stopping Super7 from recreating the toys though as they were owned by Mirage and Playmates has a right to distribute those actual molds they used. The Metalhead Mikey is a good example as I don't think his card featured any artwork since he came during the era of generic cards, but Super7 was free to produce it. I think the only exceptions are just for characters Mirage didn't own and I don't think Super7 has much desire to pay other artists to produce these toys.

I heard an interesting tidbit recently about this line which is that Four Horseman Designs stopped doing work for it after Slash. I couldn't find confirmation anywhere, and I thought Flynn mentioned them specifically when discussing the sculpting for the Party Wagon, but it does make me wish that Super7 listed proper credits on their boxes. I know not a lot of companies do it, but it's always nice when they do.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42683
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:23 pm

Anyone seeing ANY movement on wave five?
User avatar
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:57 pm

Yep, they screwed up Ace Duck's colors. Look at the contrast in the promo image vs what Veebs got. The entire top half is way too samey, there's not enough contrast to make anything pop it all just muds together. Guess I'm just one step closer to skipping the preorders and waiting until these things are in hand. Seems like there's always a surprise, and they're almost never good (though this wave overall does look absolutely amazing, blunders and all).

Image
Image
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4300
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 pm

NORM wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:23 pm
Anyone seeing ANY movement on wave five?
I got a “processing soon” email from BBTS last week for Leatherhead, but that’s been it.
User avatar
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: An Abandoned Toys R Us
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:44 am

Yeah only tmnt ultimate I have gotten anything from bbts recently is slash but I have gotten emails for them all saying they are coming soon
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

Anyone put Sewer Surfin' Mike's head on the original release yet? Wanna see if the skin tones are the same.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”