Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
nilocomic
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:26 am

TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 am

Overall a ok wave I think I only need Raphael and robo rocksteady the rest I can skip and be ok with yeah when I heard it was a shredder update I was hoping it was something else
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:08 am

nilocomic wrote:
That feels like it makes it an even worse choice for a main figure.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 am

Detrimental_Fig wrote:
nilocomic wrote:
I can't imagine there's too many dissenting voices about this. Like Shredder or don't like him - that specific version of him seems tailor made to be an exclusive or an extra offering of some kind.

But as I said above, it's absolutely possible that was the original intent and he was slotted into the line-up last minute because something else wasn't viable for any number of reasons. Ultimately, I'm not too upset about a figure existing that I don't want. But I can't get over how bizarre of a choice it is on S7's part.
nilocomic
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 am

Detrimental_Fig wrote:
nilocomic wrote:
Yep. Maybe they’re dragging it out so they can release Shredder a third time with his upper body covered in the hopes of getting people to triple-dip.
LaserLips
Faster than a speeding bullet

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:45 am

Wait, does this wave signal the end of the unpainted extra weapons? I love those, and they're the ones I display with.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:42 am

LaserLips wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:45 am
Wait, does this wave signal the end of the unpainted extra weapons? I love those, and they're the ones I display with.
I imagine the issue is that they've largely included those with figures that actually had them in the vintage line. You can kind of tell, like with Ace Duck, that they seemed like they might be carrying on with it even for figures where it doesn't make a ton of sense. So maybe they're reconsidering since so many of these figures either didn't have them at all, or only had them for a couple of items. Genghis/Ace only had a sprue for the grenades in the vintage line - none of the other accessories were part of a sprue. Leatherhead didn't have a sprue at all. Space Cadet Raph didn't have one. Robot Rocksteady didn't have one.

Sucks for the people that really liked them, but if this line is up-scaling and up-decoing the original toys as its core philosophy, why are they spending money and resources to pay homage to vintage sprues that didn't even exist? Especially if they, very likely, don't consider it really a core feature or something they'll lose many/any customers for not including.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:12 am

Now that I think about it, I think Raph and Don should have been switched in the original vintage disguise wave. Don would have made more sense as an astronaut, being that he’s the scientist. Raph would have made a better undercover turtle, which would have been a neat callback to his disguise in the movie (though I don’t think that wave was released before the movie came out? There a way to check that?) Anyway, just a thought.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:55 am

nilocomic wrote:
I had been asking for a toon Shredder, but this random unreleased figure is not it. I meant the one they did release, the one that wasn't shirtless. Still no Rat King or General Traag. The last figure they showed that i was actually excited for was Slash.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:03 am

Pretty sure 99.9 percent of the fan base would have preferred this Toon Shredder variant.
Neanderthal
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:30 pm

I didn't even know that this version existed (the one that's on pre-order), I tought that if they were going to release another shredder, the next one would be the Slice'n Dice version.

They need to keep people interested in the line. I understand that there are reasons for the delays, but it is taking WAY TOO LONG to release the figures. In my opinion, this Shredder repaint was a waste of a good oportunity, they could have easily made the Toon Variant.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:42 pm

NORM wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:12 am
Now that I think about it, I think Raph and Don should have been switched in the original vintage disguise wave. Don would have made more sense as an astronaut, being that he’s the scientist. Raph would have made a better undercover turtle, which would have been a neat callback to his disguise in the movie (though I don’t think that wave was released before the movie came out? There a way to check that?) Anyway, just a thought.
Both the movie and the Disguised Turtles wave were 1990 releases, so the figures were probably sculpted and concepted before the movie came out. Playmates wanted nothing to do with the movie too as they felt it was going to kill the brand, hence why there are no toys from it. And actually, the first concept art for the Undercover Don figure featured a katana, indicating Leo was going to be the featured turtle initially, but was swapped out for Don at some point.
ChrisLyne
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:43 pm

Neanderthal wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:30 pm
I didn't even know that this version existed (the one that's on pre-order), I tought that if they were going to release another shredder, the next one would be the Slice'n Dice version.

They need to keep people interested in the line. I understand that there are reasons for the delays, but it is taking WAY TOO LONG to release the figures. In my opinion, this Shredder repaint was a waste of a good oportunity, they could have easily made the Toon Variant.
Agree on Slice 'n Dice, that version would make a lot more sense. This Shredder, on the back of the toy repaint ThunderCats wave, feels like Super 7 may have bitten off more than they can chew with so many Ultimates lines so are adding some "filler" type figures where they can.

Hate to say it, but this makes 2 waves in a row where the general reaction seems to have been underwhelming and confusion at character selection. That wouldn't be an issue for most lines but for Super 7 that's basically a year's worth of figures/reveals. They need to improve the pace or improve character selection. If the pace is out of their control (and we know it is at least partially out of their control) then they need to improve character selection and save these variant heavy waves until shipping is back under control and they can get out at least 3-4 waves a year instead of the current 2.

It doesn't help that NECA absolutely killed it at SDCC last month either. This was not the wave to follow that.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:37 pm

Roufuss wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 pm
Only reason I’m getting this Shredder is to stick him with Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, and the eventual Megatron, Cobra Commander, and Zedd without losing the one in my TMNT display. It’s still a weird as hell choice and waste of a slot.
I shouldn't be surprised someone else is doing this too!!!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm

For this Shredder, the reality is I prefer this paint job to the first release, but I already have that figure and I just can't justify spending these prices for a modest upgrade. The extra armored head is almost appealing enough to tempt me though. Sigh.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”