Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:51 am

Got Donnie and Raph today.

My thoughts on them are mostly the same as Leo -- the nostalgia factor hits HARD for me on these; they're not perfect, but they're fun and I like them. I really wish the elbows had more range without feeling like I'm going to damage the pads. And I wish they had more ROM in the neck/head area, because it's actually kind of pitiful. The shape of these seems like it would be so easy to at least give them a little tilt but.. nope. And I wish they didn't feel quite so fragile, and have such small joint connections.

Weirdly, Donnie's left leg hip ball seems like it's lower than the right, and is more visible in an upright pose. I have no idea why or what's going on in there, and I'm not super interested in getting too aggressive with a 70-dollar figure. Luckily, it's not distractingly bad or anything. But it's noticeable. Don's bo-staff being the same length as Leo's sword really hammers home how silly S7's design philosophy can be. Oversize Leo's sword? Sure, yeah, because swords have to be BIG to be any good, right? Thanks Horsemen. But make Don's staff actually staff-length? Nah. Why bother. Gotta make it look properly vintage, right?

My only surprise disappointment here, and it's my fault just for not paying attention, is that I thought the re-issue Raph had the all-black belt and corrected sai, Little bummed that's not the case. The gun metal doesn't really bother me much, though. Maybe it's the color blindness, but it doesn't stick out to me terribly.

Looking forward to having the whole group together on the shelf.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:45 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:51 am
My only surprise disappointment here, and it's my fault just for not paying attention, is that I thought the re-issue Raph had the all-black belt and corrected sai, Little bummed that's not the case. The gun metal doesn't really bother me much, though. Maybe it's the color blindness, but it doesn't stick out to me terribly.

Looking forward to having the whole group together on the shelf.
Lol, it stuck out to me so little I didn't realize it wasn't all-black until I read this post and looked over, even though I see it every day.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:57 pm

Two down, two to go:

(ugh, I already fixed that sword, but the summer heat reverted it back)

I should have been buying one duplicate Turtle or Thundercat per paycheck, but missed a couple just from not thinking of it. And of course, given that I only have S7/Mattel Panthro, that means next paycheck I'll need to get another TC (though Pumyra's sold out everywhere, ugh).

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:51 pm
Is anyone using flight stands for any of their Turtles? If so - which ones?

Just one right now. A Mafex, I think?

It's holding Mondo up in the skateboarding pose that Kyle showed Veebs.

I just discovered I don't have a single photo of my S7 display either in Imgur or my phone. I can take one when I get home from work tonight, as long as the humidity doesn't fry my brain too much.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:31 pm

I'll need to take a pic of my display, too. Two of three shelves are done. The third shelf is still waiting on some pre-orders to come in and for them to announce Rat King and General Traag.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 am

My shelf is pretty boring. It's a couple of vintage figures, and Ultimates Leo, Raph, Don, and Casey. The NECA movie stuff was on that shelf until the other day, but I got a new book shelf downstairs and they moved down to help fill out that area as stuff got re-shuffled. So now upstairs just has a 'vintage Turtles' style shelf instead of a whole TMNT shelf and it's looking pretty barren.

Why is this important (to me)? Because Barren Shelves (TM) are the BANE of my wallet. When I see shelves that have too much empty space, my brain goes into overdrive figuring out what to put on them, with virtually no care at all given to the fact that even if left alone, they'll fill up within a year or two of releases anyway.

I need to find Mikey now but there doesn't seem to be any Canadian dealers that still have him, and I really want to avoid buying him from BBTS if I can. Their shipping (time, not necessary price) suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. And with exchange rate and shipping, BBTS Ultimates do cost me more than getting them locally. 'Course, if I turn down getting him at BBTS and then never find him again, boy will I have egg on my face.

And now I'm spending way too much time talking myself down from Bebop and Mutagen Man... and Metalhead.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Bebop and Mutagen Man are two of the best releases. Metalhead is just OK, I think. Obviously nostalgia comes into this a lot, but I think the strongest releases are Muckman, Bebop, Rocksteady, Mutagen Man, and Baxter. Those huge detailed one-off Playmates-style sculpts aren't something being done in other lines.

For the same reasons I think Leatherhead will be a standout from the next wave.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:26 pm

I have to agree, Muckman may actually be the very best of the entire line, with Bebop and Rocksteady easily rounding out the top three. Mutagen Man doesn't really do it for me. I think Mondo Gecko is pretty strong though. Definitely on par with Baxter Stockman. I like Metalhead enough, I'd put him on level with Casey Jones. The turtles themselves are fine, but best when all four are involved. Splinter and Shredder are on their level. I don't think April is awful, but she's probably the weakest figure in the line for me.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:21 pm

Yeah, the weakest releases for me are the ones that weren't very interesting Playmates toys to begin with, like April and (IMO) Shredder. I don't think any of them are outright bad, though there's several I'd say are easily skippable.

I know they don't want to step on NECA's toes but I kinda hope they do a Shredder variant based on the cartoon Playmates repaint. It'd still look distinct from the cartoon design.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:30 pm

I think if they gave April a better head or made Shredder in his cartoon colors, I would like them a lot more. I know they're supposed to be faithful to the old toys, but even as a kid I didn't like those old toys.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:11 pm

ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:19 pm

I dig the way the colored belts look.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:30 pm

ODBJBG wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:19 pm
I dig the way the colored belts look.
yeah I like these a lot as a gitd collector. Just bummed by the price bumps across a lot of Super7 lines
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm

These look cool, but no way am I buying these gimmick variants at a $20 markup compared to the originals. Is there any new tooling here at all?
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm

zodach wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm
These look cool, but no way am I buying these gimick variants at a $20 markup compared to the originals. Is there any new tooling here at all?
If there is there's no way to tell from the promo pictures, and I hope there isn't because improving tooling on the turtles in a variant after they've already done two releases of them would be obnoxious. So probably not
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 pm

$65/Turtle. GTFO Super7.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”