Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm

It’s mold release. It is applied to the steel tools as part of the production process. It’s common. Use Dawn and water to get rid of it. Clorox wipes seem like a bad idea with the bleach and all.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Oh well, I already used Clorox wipes. Anyway, other than the mold release being on Metalhead, I didn't have any major issues. I'm glad I got two Michelangelos, the toy head had bad paint on one figure and the new head had bad paint on the other. Weird that Rocksteady doesn't have a trigger finger.

I am worried about Rocksteady since he's so top heavy. Same thing with Metalhead with his backpack on. I feel like these are going to fall over more than any other figures I collect. Also have a goop of paint on the April head with the red hair, but it's not too noticeable so I'll live with it. Hopefully they do make an April variant down the line with a better head, and we can use that head on this body.

No hands were missing or anything. Some of the joints were a little tight, but I was able to move them after applying a little heat. Overall, I was smiling like a kid while opening all these figures, these hit me with so much damn nostalgia. I can't wait to get the rest of them.

minitaur
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 am

Now that Wave 6 is announced I have a new strategy planned for collecting this line. Originally I planned for this to be my first completist toy line. At 12 figures per year and $45 a pop, $600 with tax, no pre-payment at BBTS, POL is basically free shipping. And TMNT was my childhood toy collection. From a shelf space perspective and money perspective, I can do $600 and add 12 figures to the wall per year.

And the first 2 waves, I mostly loved! Except for not being able to put water in mutagen man, this was a fantastic first 8 figures.

Then April came out and she was a yikes. I didn't actually get her, I cancelled it from BBTS after I saw the reviews. Metalhead nice, but a bit disappointing without vac metal and mine did have flopped hips, which I fixed with FIX-IT-KIKI stuff.

And the Wave 5 announcement of Samurai Leo was the first figure I just didn't want. Wave 6 Surfer Mikey I want even less. I would still buy them even though I don't want them, to be a completionist, but I had already decided not to get April. And of course the price increases. Plus the mouser being a 5th figure (which I of course need two of), I'd be looking at $330 for Wave 6 and assuming each wave going forward has army builders I want two of, then it's $1,000+ a year. Up from $600. And a bunch of figures I don't really want.

So I've decided to abandon the completionist idea. I realize I also don't really want a Mondo Gecko either so I cancelled that preorder. Ace Duck is cool, but I wasn't very connected to his original figure, so I'll keep the preorder open but may cancel it pending reviews. Super7 has been having some QC issues lately so if they knock a homerun, I'll get it, but if it's mediocre, I'm not attached enough to keep it and will cancel.

My new idea on collecting the turtles line is that I will buy only characters I'm connected to from childhood (love me some Pizzaface, Genghis Frog, Rat King, Scumbug, Android Krang) OR characters that they knocked a home run on QC. This decision was tough to make. I agonized for months and told myself when Wave 6 was announced, I'd have enough information to make my decision.

Overall I'm loving the line so far except for a few flubs, and I'm going to treat it like every other toy line (such as Marvel Legends) where I can't expect to like or want everything and don't need to own it all. And will be happy for those of you who love Surfer Mikey because I'm sure that is someone's childhood nostaglia even though it isn't mine :mrgreen:
hisdudeness9829
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm

minitaur wrote:Now that Wave 6 is announced I have a new strategy planned for collecting this line. Originally I planned for this to be my first completist toy line. At 12 figures per year and $45 a pop, $600 with tax, no pre-payment at BBTS, POL is basically free shipping. And TMNT was my childhood toy collection. From a shelf space perspective and money perspective, I can do $600 and add 12 figures to the wall per year.

And the first 2 waves, I mostly loved! Except for not being able to put water in mutagen man, this was a fantastic first 8 figures.

Then April came out and she was a yikes. I didn't actually get her, I cancelled it from BBTS after I saw the reviews. Metalhead nice, but a bit disappointing without vac metal and mine did have flopped hips, which I fixed with FIX-IT-KIKI stuff.

And the Wave 5 announcement of Samurai Leo was the first figure I just didn't want. Wave 6 Surfer Mikey I want even less. I would still buy them even though I don't want them, to be a completionist, but I had already decided not to get April. And of course the price increases. Plus the mouser being a 5th figure (which I of course need two of), I'd be looking at $330 for Wave 6 and assuming each wave going forward has army builders I want two of, then it's $1,000+ a year. Up from $600. And a bunch of figures I don't really want.

So I've decided to abandon the completionist idea. I realize I also don't really want a Mondo Gecko either so I cancelled that preorder. Ace Duck is cool, but I wasn't very connected to his original figure, so I'll keep the preorder open but may cancel it pending reviews. Super7 has been having some QC issues lately so if they knock a homerun, I'll get it, but if it's mediocre, I'm not attached enough to keep it and will cancel.

My new idea on collecting the turtles line is that I will buy only characters I'm connected to from childhood (love me some Pizzaface, Genghis Frog, Rat King, Scumbug, Android Krang) OR characters that they knocked a home run on QC. This decision was tough to make. I agonized for months and told myself when Wave 6 was announced, I'd have enough information to make my decision.

Overall I'm loving the line so far except for a few flubs, and I'm going to treat it like every other toy line (such as Marvel Legends) where I can't expect to like or want everything and don't need to own it all. And will be happy for those of you who love Surfer Mikey because I'm sure that is someone's childhood nostaglia even though it isn't mine :mrgreen:
My approach is incredibly similar except I like the opposite stuff. I was a kid when the variants were the only versions of the turtles you could get on the shelves so I have a deep attachment to them. Plus my rationale is that I have the NECA movie turtles, Playmates six inch turtles, and I’ll probably pick up the BST AXN ones so the variants are totally unique and a very cool addition to my shelves that no other company is going to make. Mondo Gecko was my favorite TMNT figure as a kid (big fan of geckos and skateboarding), needless to say I was ecstatic to see him announced in the line.

Ultimately (ha) the line is going to be pricey so you are 100% right about finding your balance. At $20 a pop I don’t mind getting a Pirate Deadpool if that means I get the leg fro Strong Guy too, but I wouldn’t buy PDP just because I wanted to complete the wave. I’ve tried to stick to that same thought process across all lines I collect, but anything Super7 even more so. After getting Slithe in hand though, Thundercats may destroy my method…
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 am

Not that my life is interesting enough to warrant play-by-play updates, but Dorkside replied back first thing this morning and is looking into the duplicate issue. They needed photos and a packing slip, which I thankfully still had, so I guess don't throw that packing slip away until you've checked out all your stuff! Hopefully I can get an RMA and send it back to them for replacement before their supply of Mikeys dries up.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:47 am

Damn... saw this on Veebs' livestream:

Super7, please take note.
minitaur
Faster than a speeding bullet

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Handsome wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:47 am
Damn... saw this on Veebs' livestream:

Super7, please take note.
This looks fantastic! If that were the Super7 figure I’d have bought it, and very likely remained a completionist for the line. But as I’ve said, the poor April figure is what dissuaded me from being a completionist.

To be fair to Super7, they’re doing a mostly great job. And you can’t expect them to be able to compete with this customizer who only had one head sculpt to tweak slightly. Whereas Super7 has a couple dozen properties they’re making simultaneously. Of course if you’re only doing one head sculpt from one figure you can do a better job that someone making hundreds each year from all sorts of different lines.
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Those April heads are very well done!

I am quite jealous...
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 pm

That's the second time Zelu has improved April! :lol:
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:55 pm

jimbles wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 am
Not that my life is interesting enough to warrant play-by-play updates, but Dorkside replied back first thing this morning and is looking into the duplicate issue. They needed photos and a packing slip, which I thankfully still had, so I guess don't throw that packing slip away until you've checked out all your stuff! Hopefully I can get an RMA and send it back to them for replacement before their supply of Mikeys dries up.
And an update: a $9 partial refund was offered because they don't cover manufacturer defects, which I took because it was still generous for them to extend that to me. I'll just be emailing Rudy at Super7 next and explaining it to him, see if I can't be put on a donor waiting list or something.

But... buyer beware? At least on bigger high dollar items there's more at stake. Like I'm reconsidering doing pre-orders with them for the Neca giant sized cartoon turtles because I don't want to have a $100+ item be goofed.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 am

I was able to get Rocksteady in a pose that holds pretty well, but Metalhead is still a pain to keep up for more than a few minutes before he topples over. Any of you guys able to get him standing well? Maybe the legs are looser on mine than on others and I should try to get him exchanged for a new one..

Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Thankfully my Metalhead has not fallen over yet...

Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:53 pm

I was finally able to get him to stay up, he's been standing overnight hand hasn't fallen over yet. Though I may still use some of that Kiki stuff before I actually put them up for display, but that's not going to be until I get at least all of the four Turtles. I just don't like the idea of having to modify a $50 figure.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Metalhead falls over? Didn't realize this was a problem. Mine has been on the shelf since I got him like a month ago, no issues.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Maybe hips on mine are too loose. But because of the backpack he's too back heavy

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”