Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Detrimental_Fig
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Merso wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:13 pm
I bet the issue with April's faces is not so much the shine but the waxy, partially translucent plastic used. The nose and details are practically see-through. Same thing happened with Super7 Filmation He-Man and She-Ra (and probably other figures, but I only have those). Dull coat won't be enough, the faces need to be fully painted.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that shiny plastic was excusable on the Ultimate He-Man and Skeletor for me, but it's pretty unfortunate use here.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm

lovable-bill wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:19 pm
Got my figures in from BBTS. April looks way better in hand than any of the pictures I've seen so far. I am very happy with it.

Wave 3 is anther homerun for me and further cementing this as my favorite TMNT line going right now.
That's good to hear. I'm not canceling my April pre-order or anything, I think she'll look fine on the shelf with other figures that'll naturally draw more attention away from her. But she does look to be the worst of the entire line so far. Glad she looks better in hand.
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm

Of course Conan comes in stock the day after shipping my loot. Lol
nilocomic
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Couple pics I found on Instagram.

PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm
I think April looks like a larger version of the vintage figure with improved articulation.

Which is what this line IS.
It took me way too long to realize this and quit pre-ordering these. I really wanted Ultimates to be what the Masters of the Universe Classics figures were - which were updated versions of classic toys with modern aesthetics and sensibilities in a larger scale with lots of articulation. If that was the direction they went with this I would have bought a ton.

But that is never what they wanted the line to be and accepting that and letting it be what it IS has been a blessing for me. If I hadn't canceled my pre-order for April I probably would have been extremely disappointed in what they delivered, not because of poor execution but because of my unrealistic and unsupported expectations.
Detrimental_Fig
CROM!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:35 pm

nilocomic wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 pm
Couple pics I found on Instagram.

April is practically glowing compared to everyone else. It's so off-putting, haha.
nilocomic
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:36 pm

More from Toy Bro.

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:00 pm

PantherCult wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 pm
TENIME_art wrote:
I think April looks like a larger version of the vintage figure with improved articulation.

It took me way too long to realize this and quit pre-ordering these. I really wanted Ultimates to be what the Masters of the Universe Classics figures were - which were updated versions of classic toys with modern aesthetics and sensibilities in a larger scale with lots of articulation. If that was the direction they went with this I would have bought a ton.

But that is never what they wanted the line to be and accepting that and letting it be what it IS has been a blessing for me. If I hadn't canceled my pre-order for April I probably would have been extremely disappointed in what they delivered, not because of poor execution but because of my unrealistic and unsupported expectations.
I think that's a fair conclusion, though there is still room for criticism. I look at a figure like Bebop which had so much paint added to him to bring out a lot of what was sculpted 30 years ago, but left unpainted. If they had simply painted April more I think she would look a lot better. Maybe they didn't need to go as far as NECA went with their figure which had all of that black linework, but she definitely would have benefited from some embellishment.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 pm

Totally posted in the wrong thread. I'm a maroon!
MikeTRobot
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 pm

Misfit wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 am
Nothing for me either. I checked to see when I ordered and I ordered all 3 at different times:

Mikey - 8/18
Rocksteady - 12/19
Metalhead- 2/1
Looks like I ordered from BBTS on 7/16/20 and no movement yet.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:55 pm

BBTS hasn't shipped mine either. I pre ordered 6/25/20 but nothing has moved yet. I can't believe how fast BBTS has got some of these out though. Usually it seems like they ship about a month after Super7 starts shipping out to direct customers who ordered from their site.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 am

TENIME_art wrote:

I think that's an oversimplification, though. Because if that's true don't you need to criticize Super7 for every decision they make that steps away from the vintage designs (like Leo never having the correct swords, yes I will bang on about this until I die)? If it's just improved articulation, then they shouldn't tighten up and refine the sculpts? If they -should-, then why didn't they with April? If it's ONLY vintage then why does Sewer Samurai Leo have an optional head that has nothing to do with the vintage toy? Should they be better painted or the same as vintage? If the answer is 'better' -then why isn't April painted better? If the answer is the same, then don't we have to be upset that all the other figures aren't more like April?

They're -updates- to the vintage toys that cleave very closely to the source, for sure. But that absolutely should never be an excuse to put in the minimum effort, or to not try to present the best possible product. Why not give April at least one head that looks good? Why not give her a bit more drybrush/wash, like other figures in the line seem to have? Nothing crazy - but something to add definition to that yellow. Why use a plastic for the skin that's basically a step away from being more reflective than orange construction vests? That's not 'it's just vintage-style!' It's.. just not a great modern toy.

That's my opinion, at least. If people LIKE this April.. that's awesome for them. There's your April. If people hate her.. well.. I hope S7 manages to get an April out in the world that you do like. I want everyone to enjoy their toys.
Freditor
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 am
TENIME_art wrote:

I think that's an oversimplification, though. Because if that's true don't you need to criticize Super7 for every decision they make that steps away from the vintage designs (like Leo never having the correct swords, yes I will bang on about this until I die)? If it's just improved articulation, then they shouldn't tighten up and refine the sculpts? If they -should-, then why didn't they with April? If it's ONLY vintage then why does Sewer Samurai Leo have an optional head that has nothing to do with the vintage toy? Should they be better painted or the same as vintage? If the answer is 'better' -then why isn't April painted better? If the answer is the same, then don't we have to be upset that all the other figures aren't more like April?

They're -updates- to the vintage toys that cleave very closely to the source, for sure. But that absolutely should never be an excuse to put in the minimum effort, or to not try to present the best possible product. Why not give April at least one head that looks good? Why not give her a bit more drybrush/wash, like other figures in the line seem to have? Nothing crazy - but something to add definition to that yellow. Why use a plastic for the skin that's basically a step away from being more reflective than orange construction vests? That's not 'it's just vintage-style!' It's.. just not a great modern toy.

That's my opinion, at least. If people LIKE this April.. that's awesome for them. There's your April. If people hate her.. well.. I hope S7 manages to get an April out in the world that you do like. I want everyone to enjoy their toys.
Completely agree with this.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 am

KD hit the nail on the head. This line can be afforded quite a bit of slack in certain areas, but its goal should be at least consistent.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 am

Twitter user @Tmnt4m has some nice pics of the whole line up. Here’s a comparison people have been looking for:

In looking at his Metalhead pics, I do really wish he was larger than the turtles, not the same size. He may even be thinner. What I really don’t like though are these plastic tubes connecting his upper leg to his calf. That just looks like something that’s destined to break.

Definitely check out that Twitter profile though if you’d like to see more.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”