Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:26 am

I actually like the April figure. The outfit and accessories are great, I like that she seems pretty short, and as far as the head sculpt, the extra head on the right reminds me a lot of the vintage figure original release. The head sculpt that's already on the figure feels like a mix of the later released vintage April figures head, as well as the vintage April card art and the original Cartoon. Kind of a blend of all in toy form.

It looks right to me. It fits in with the interpretations they have done for this line. I'm not saying it couldn't be better, but I like it. It works for me.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:33 am

Handsome wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am
I actually wouldn't mind if they re-released her down the line without the blue stripe and with a better head. The April I had back in the day didn't have the blue stripe anyway. But she had the stripe on the card, and my cousin's April did have the stripe, so that always confused me as a kid.

I just want someone to make an April that resembles that card art. With or without the blue stripe, that would be my ideal April.

That vintage figure might have had more running changes than any other figure in the line. Someone with more intimate knowledge of the line would know better than I, but I recall the original blue stripe, an orange stripe, and one with a different headsculpt. And then there was the green jumpsuit variant that came with the news van.
MollyMillions
CROM!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 am

I only wanted April and a turtle. Mainly for the toy nostalgia design. I prefer the movie line for my actual display, but I collect Aprils and enjoy the toon one (helps to pop the head up a bit).

I am happy with April, especially wildmaiden's open shots (thank you!). I get what Super7 goes for, and I think this is a fine homage to one of my old figures. I never expected even Hasbro level paint on her.

I want to dulcote the face, but I'm happy with it.

I chose Mikey over Raph, and given the alt heads, I'm more displeased with that choice than April, but it's whatever. I might end up with Raph anyway.

These are my first Super 7, and I was only going for Cheetara, Steelheart, and hopefully Scarlett. Maybe with Cheetara and Steelheart Super7 can lay claim, but for TMNT, they're far from Ultimate in execution.

I'm excited for this and Judith to hit me this month!
MollyMillions
CROM!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 am

Oh! Could a Toy Historian explain to me what April's other heads represent?

Was it a toy line change, different figure?
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 am

wildmaiden wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am
Hey guys, those are my photos that I posted over on /r/ActionFigures. Here are some additional shots of April. I'm not a photographer, there are no bright lights, just simply a nearby window, and no flash on the camera. April is very shiny. I don't believe there is any paint on her face (other than a very light blush highlight) or jumpsuit, it appears she is simply molded in flesh-colored and yellow plastic.

I actually like her quite a bit more after having her in hand. She strikes a very strong nostalgia chord, which is frankly what I want from a line like this! The single jointed elbows are also a bit of a disappointment. In my opinion, if the face were painted and less "toyish" this would be a really great figure.

Thanks for these! Yeah, she's not perfect, but I think she'll look fine once she's on the shelf with other characters.
Detrimental_Fig
CROM!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:03 am

Those open pics...she kind of looks like a blow up doll now. Definitely weakest figure in the line at the moment.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:14 am

Yyyyyeah... I'm torn on April.

I don't hate it, but thus far this is the only figure in the line that is edging towards being a rip off to me and my standards at full price. At least, superficially, before I have one in-hand to make a final call. But in a line full of absolute bangers, this is a figure that I would assess is worth half of everything else in terms of final product presentation. And it would be absurd, in a made to order line, to give the good ol' Hasbro excuse of "well, its lower quality pays for the other wave mates, look at how massive Rocksteady is." Nah, guy. That one doesn't fly on made to order products. No way, no how.

The fact that they made the heads in seemingly single molded pieces, too... I think that that is a big part of why it looks so dreadfully cheap and chintzy. For a character with a buzz cut or a mask, that's not so much a problem. But with longer and more defined hair it just ends up looking like an anachronism. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Hell, Shredder got, what, 3 pieces in his head sculpt? Baxter got a separate hair piece, too.

To be honest, this is shaping up to be a release that I couldn't display with any of those heads and would need a custom. No major issue with the body though, at all. Sort of brings it full circle, back to buying run-off MOTUC from ebay without heads...
futuresound
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:21 am

Handsome wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 am
As far as I can tell, the only difference between the heads is the red on his eyes is brighter, so that's probably it
Misfit wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 am
futuresound wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am
Metalhead's got more of a neck than I was expecting. Hopefully it's just the photo. Still looks good, just looks like his head is maybe sitting a little too high.

I wonder if the extra head is to replicate the old light-piping gimmick of the original? That would be cool.
That’s exactly what it is. One head features painted eyes while the other uses the red piping like the original toy.

Sweet. I don't usually go for light-piping, but I like having the option in this case.

wildmaiden wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am
Hey guys, those are my photos that I posted over on /r/ActionFigures. Here are some additional shots of April. I'm not a photographer, there are no bright lights, just simply a nearby window, and no flash on the camera. April is very shiny. I don't believe there is any paint on her face (other than a very light blush highlight) or jumpsuit, it appears she is simply molded in flesh-colored and yellow plastic.

I actually like her quite a bit more after having her in hand. She strikes a very strong nostalgia chord, which is frankly what I want from a line like this! The single jointed elbows are also a bit of a disappointment. In my opinion, if the face were painted and less "toyish" this would be a really great figure.
Thanks for the pics and for posting your thoughts.

I think the sculpts are pretty good on all 3 heads...but I agree that the skin needed to be painted or cast in a different plastic or something. The features of the nose seem a little soft and the whole thing kind of melts into the face. Maybe it'll work better in hand for me. I don't hate it, though. It's not a deal breaker.

...I just hope S7 doesn't do the same thing for their inevitable Ultimates Scarlett. Or any of the Joe characters with visible faces, I guess.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am

Hmmm even when April is loose she still looks kind of porcelain doll-ish and it’s a little off putting. That being said, these are designed to look like larger scaled replicas of the original TMNT toys from the 80’s and early 90’s. If you are expecting the kind of quality you might see in a hot toys figure, then sadly these are not for you. Playmates occasionally had a few clunkers in the line, especially in the early days when there was very little quality control. A 5 year old child may not have necessarily notices but most adults will, and with that usually comes higher expectations for the stuff we spend our hard earned money on. But for a line like Ultimates, which strives to do its best to recreate the charm of those classic toys, sometimes the flubs carry over too. Bebop’s pink face is an example, the weirdly painted on eyebrows atop shredder’s helmet and now this glass eyed April with the porcelain skin is probably going to be the norm for the line at least 25 percent of the time.

The good news is you have options. If this line isn’t for you and you want more accurate turtle sculpts then you can choose Neca. If you just want your old childhood straight out of the packaging you can get the vintage line from playmates. If you prefer the weird and bizarre, go with the Dream-eX line of turtle mechs. Or you can stick with these which will always blur the line between high end collectibles and goofy kid friendly plastic from a bygone era. Just find what you like and work from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:35 am

panther10 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am
Hmmm even when April is loose she still looks kind of porcelain doll-ish and it’s a little off putting. That being said, these are designed to look like larger scaled replicas of the original TMNT toys from the 80’s and early 90’s. If you are expecting the kind of quality you might see in a hot toys figure, then sadly these are not for you. Playmates occasionally had a few clunkers in the line, especially in the early days when there was very little quality control. A 5 year old child may not have necessarily notices but most adults will, and with that usually comes higher expectations for the stuff we spend our hard earned money on. But for a line like Ultimates, which strives to do its best to recreate the charm of those classic toys, sometimes the flubs carry over too. Bebop’s pink face is an example, the weirdly painted on eyebrows atop shredder’s helmet and now this glass eyed April with the porcelain skin is probably going to be the norm for the line at least 25 percent of the time.

The good news is you have options. If this line isn’t for you and you want more accurate turtle sculpts then you can choose Neca. If you just want your old childhood straight out of the packaging you can get the vintage line from playmates. If you prefer the weird and bizarre, go with the Dream-eX line of turtle mechs. Or you can stick with these which will always blur the line between high end collectibles and goofy kid friendly plastic from a bygone era. Just find what you like and work from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, for starters, the non-toy head of April was specifically designed to placate the people who noted how shoddy the first reveal prototype looked. In other words, it was created after the fact and in response to criticism. Brian revealed as much when they talked about the complete overhaul that April got. Essentially, "we heard you." So saying that the dumpiness of the non-toy head is a byproduct of the half-in/half-out approach of S7 is specious at best, since it was not intended as such by nature of its impetus in creation. It -needed- to look good, and not on parity to a lower quality nostalgia-centric head sculpt and paint job. There is no toy reference for how it should have looked, therefore pigeonholing it to such a diminished standard as matching a vintage toy is absurd.

Comparing Bebop and Shredder to April is also, again, a flawed line of thinking. Those two came with two identical heads, with the only change being paint application. That's not the case with April. There is no comparison to their status. A closer analogy would have been with the turtles getting additional non-toy heads, but even then it's a stretch. The toy and non-toy turtle heads still have visual continuity; i.e., they look pretty close, save for some small detail changes. April on the other hand has a non-toy head that, for all intents and purposes, makes her look like a completely different person by purposeful design. Again, it -should- have been better, and not on parity with the simplified finish of the toy version.

I think the Hot Toys comment is also a common dismissive turn of phrase that I see brought up in the collector's realm, and it should probably just outright stop. No one mentioned it, or even got within the range of requesting that. Rather, the idea is that in a made to order environment, all figures are equal in comparison. This is not a ponzi scheme build a figure wave set up where costs are shuffled this way and that so that a wave anchor can shine to the detriment of others. All figures are -equal- in their necessity towards quality in a made to order set up. It's illogical to think that, in a worst case scenario, 10K units of one direct consumer-backed figure might be lowered in quality to make up for a theoretical 1K of another. It doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way in this set up. April should have been as whiz bang amazing in the attention to detail granted to her as Rocksteady. This isn't to say, she needs every single last identical ounce of paint and plastic to the nano level of examination, but the April should be just as impressively marveling to the consumer who thinks, "wow, now THIS is the DEFINITIVE April." This is not lining up to be that, though again, I will say that I don't know without it in my hands.
thatguy
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 am

Garlador wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 pm
It's always a struggle to do female figures right, and I don't envy anyone tasked with making them.
i disagree, i don't think that's what's going on here, at least. this april doesn't look bad because of anything having to do with being a woman. she looks bad because of the awful paint job (or lack thereof). it's like they just allotted less budget for her.
thatguy
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:40 am

Freditor wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 pm
TheMadcapLaughs wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:18 pm
Really anxious to see some loose pictures of April. She looks better than she did in the initial pictures, and I like her more than the NECA one, but this is a case where "better than" might not equal "good"

But again I wanna see her loose before passing judgment

Also, i'm still not crazy about Mikey's alt head, which is a problem for me since that's how I'm displaying his brothers
I... I can't even... it.... just. Speechless.

I just can't believe that (so far) I seem to be the only one that thinks this figure looks like pure trash. I'm not saying this to start a NECA/Super7 war, I like both lines. I absolutely love the Super7 figures I have (Leo, Raph, Bebop, Foot Soldier, Splinter). But looking at this April just hurts my eyes. And watching a video review or having her in hand won't change that.

As far as the body sculpt goes, I think they might actually have made her worse than the prototype.

couldn't agree more. just horrid. and before super7 say "you're sexist, it's a woman", no, that's not it. it's an overly simplistic sculpt with basically NO paint on it at all. there is absolutely a reason they didn't show this prior to shipping.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:05 am

I actually like the look of that April, so much so that I just preordered her from BBTS.

I have some paints that I can use to tone down the shine a bit and make her a little more normal, but I love the redhead sculpt, and she may fit in well with my NECA turtles since that April got so jacked up.
Astrophro
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:35 am

Thanks so much for the pics, Wildmaiden! I'm pretty down with new April. Her expression and her eyes do come off a little lifeless, a little doll-like, but I think that comes along with trying to make a pretty lady in a line of figures made for wacky, eccentric, grotesque mutants. I'm glad she looks to have feet big enough and flat enough to hold a good pose.

Metalhead's neck does look weirdly long, but I bet that's to make room for his backpack straps. All around, super hyped for this wave

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Shreddar
Super Poseable

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 am

This April O’Neal is really edging me toward not being a completionist for this line.

Now I know why Bryan Flynn didn’t show her off except in the unpainted promo email.

Still upset that I preordered just Mikey from Super7 and even though they have it, they won’t ship it, because they are waiting for all four figures to come, so as to not upset customers who get their shipments delayed.

As if people like me, who are getting their shipments delayed won’t be upset. I guess it makes sense. The people who preordered all 4 from S7 are “better” customers to them, so making me wait for my Mikey figure, and making me upset, is a superior marketing strategy then shipping me my Mikey now, and risking the 4-figure customers from being upset.

I do have all figures on preorder, but I did 3 of them through BBTS and Mikey direct, because in spite of extra shipping, I wanted Mikey fastest and was willing to overpay shipping for him By buying direct versus BBTS where it’s “free” shipping since I always have a pile of loot anyway so adding on more figures doesn’t cost more money to ship them.

I guess we’ve seen it makes no sense to buy direct.

Actually maybe that’s there business plan. Upset their direct customers so all future sales go through third party retailers to make their lives easier. Brilliant, Mr. Flynn.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”