Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
TheMadcapLaughs
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:18 pm

Really anxious to see some loose pictures of April. She looks better than she did in the initial pictures, and I like her more than the NECA one, but this is a case where "better than" might not equal "good"

But again I wanna see her loose before passing judgment

Also, i'm still not crazy about Mikey's alt head, which is a problem for me since that's how I'm displaying his brothers
Freditor
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 pm

TheMadcapLaughs wrote:
Really anxious to see some loose pictures of April. She looks better than she did in the initial pictures, and I like her more than the NECA one, but this is a case where "better than" might not equal "good"

Also, i'm still not crazy about Mikey's alt head, which is a problem for me since that's how I'm displaying his brothers
I... I can't even... it.... just. Speechless.

I just can't believe that (so far) I seem to be the only one that thinks this figure looks like pure trash. I'm not saying this to start a NECA/Super7 war, I like both lines. I absolutely love the Super7 figures I have (Leo, Raph, Bebop, Foot Soldier, Splinter). But looking at this April just hurts my eyes. And watching a video review or having her in hand won't change that.

As far as the body sculpt goes, I think they might actually have made her worse than the prototype.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 pm

I don't love it, I don't even like it. But what am I gonna do, have all these TMNT Ultimates but no April? Yeah, for $50, I wish her head was better. But I'm just glad it's better than that promo pic.
Freditor
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 pm

Handsome wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:42 pm
I don't love it, I don't even like it. But what am I gonna do, have all these TMNT Ultimates but no April? Yeah, for $50, I wish her head was better. But I'm just glad it's better than that promo pic.
Oh, I definitely get that. April is a very important character and if you're all-in on this line, you need her. But there seem to be people that actually 'like' her. And that's all fine, to each their own. It's just something I can't grasp.
I guess I feel lucky that I'm not all-in on this line. Just getting the ones I actually like.

But hey, to keep things positive: I still think it's a pretty strong wave. Rocksteady and Metalhead look fantastic, and while Mikey does have the worst alternate head of the 4 Turtles, I do still think he looks great.
ChrisLyne
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 am

Mikey looks great, need a better shot of the alternate head on the body before I really judge but other than that he looks spot on and can't wait to have him in hand and teamed up with Raph & Leo.

Rocksteady looks amazing, probably highlight of the wave.

I skipped Metalhead but he looks great. I may still pick him up so hopefully reviews are positive.

Not gonna lie, April is disappointing. Like with Mikey's alternate head, I want to see better pictures before really passing judgement, but at first glance she doesn't look that great. Head is improved, not convinced about the body. This photo does the figure no favours with the lighting which just shows Super 7 needed to do the reveal themselves. Not saying it would turn opinion around, but almost anything would have been a better reveal than this. I'm sure she will be better in hand, but definitely not as much of an improvement as I'd hoped based on that picture.
futuresound
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am

Metalhead's got more of a neck than I was expecting. Hopefully it's just the photo. Still looks good, just looks like his head is maybe sitting a little too high.

I wonder if the extra head is to replicate the old light-piping gimmick of the original? That would be cool.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 am

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the heads is the red on his eyes is brighter, so that's probably it
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 am

futuresound wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am
Metalhead's got more of a neck than I was expecting. Hopefully it's just the photo. Still looks good, just looks like his head is maybe sitting a little too high.

I wonder if the extra head is to replicate the old light-piping gimmick of the original? That would be cool.
That’s exactly what it is. One head features painted eyes while the other uses the red piping like the original toy.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:55 am

Freditor wrote:
TheMadcapLaughs wrote:

I just can't believe that (so far) I seem to be the only one that thinks this figure looks like pure trash. I'm not saying this to start a NECA/Super7 war, I like both lines. I absolutely love the Super7 figures I have (Leo, Raph, Bebop, Foot Soldier, Splinter). But looking at this April just hurts my eyes. And watching a video review or having her in hand won't change that.

As far as the body sculpt goes, I think they might actually have made her worse than the prototype.
You’re not the only one. I didn’t buy her, so I don’t really want to dump on a figure other people dropped $50+ on, but yeah, I actually think the prototype looked better. It’s just a bummer because, like the NECA one, the figure comes with a great assortment of accessories and should be a fun release, but meh. Hopefully NECA’s deluxe version finally does the character justice.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 am

Misfit wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:55 am
Freditor wrote:
TheMadcapLaughs wrote:

You’re not the only one. I didn’t buy her, so I don’t really want to dump on a figure other people dropped $50+ on, but yeah, I actually think the prototype looked better. It’s just a bummer because, like the NECA one, the figure comes with a great assortment of accessories and should be a fun release, but meh. Hopefully NECA’s deluxe version finally does the character justice.
Agreed.
I have no dog in the fight. I think NECA's cartoon April looks like trash. I think this one looks like trash but slightly worse.
But if people like them? Okay. Fine. I don't own them and at this point in the way I'm collecting, I don't feel like not having them is a hole in my collection so I'm not bothered by bad figures of them.
If it were a bad figure of a character I wanted to buy, like Slash, I'd be pretty upset. But a figure I never intended to get anyway? Meh. Let people who hate it hate it, and let people that love it love it.
I just feel bad for the ones that really wanted a toy-based April in their collection and -aren't- happy with this figure.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 am

I also agree with Misfit. April doesn't look good to me, but since I'm out, I didn't want to bad mouth her. I new I was out when she was initially shown. I never liked the look of the Playmates version, so it probably wasn't going to be of interest anyway. I have the NECA version, and though far from perfect, I still like it a lot better.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:57 am

Andru wrote:April is giving me vintage salt shaker/Christmas ornament vibes...

Will definitely need to see a review video of her before I pre-order.
April reminds me of these shiny porcelain figurines my grandma has in her China hutch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:04 am

Yeah I passed on April and seeing this doesn’t make me want to jump to bbts and get her
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am

I actually wouldn't mind if they re-released her down the line without the blue stripe and with a better head. The April I had back in the day didn't have the blue stripe anyway. But she had the stripe on the card, and my cousin's April did have the stripe, so that always confused me as a kid.

wildmaiden
Here comes a new challenger!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am

Hey guys, those are my photos that I posted over on /r/ActionFigures. Here are some additional shots of April. I'm not a photographer, there are no bright lights, just simply a nearby window, and no flash on the camera. April is very shiny. I don't believe there is any paint on her face (other than a very light blush highlight) or jumpsuit, it appears she is simply molded in flesh-colored and yellow plastic.

I actually like her quite a bit more after having her in hand. She strikes a very strong nostalgia chord, which is frankly what I want from a line like this! The single jointed elbows are also a bit of a disappointment. In my opinion, if the face were painted and less "toyish" this would be a really great figure.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”

Recent Topics