Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Shreddar
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:38 am

sepster wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 pm
ODBJBG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am
They're going for animation accurate, not toy, thus they're gray no silver. It also allows them to sidestep vac-metal issues.

Yeah, I know. For myself, my attachment is for the toys, not the animation, so I'm out on this line.
I’m glad they chose to do TMNT based on the toys and not the cartoon, since I’m with you brother, I am attached to toys, not cartoons. It’s why I didn’t get involved with the NECA turtle line.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 am

Shreddar wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:38 am
sepster wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 pm
ODBJBG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am
They're going for animation accurate, not toy, thus they're gray no silver. It also allows them to sidestep vac-metal issues.

Yeah, I know. For myself, my attachment is for the toys, not the animation, so I'm out on this line.
I’m glad they chose to do TMNT based on the toys and not the cartoon, since I’m with you brother, I am attached to toys, not cartoons. It’s why I didn’t get involved with the NECA turtle line.

I absolutely prefer toy-style over animation for Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe and He-Man.
Handsome
CROM!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:41 am

Well my dream TMNT line would be a mix. I prefer the toy look for the Turtles, which is the most important to me, so that's the main reason why I went with Super7 over NECA. I love having them in different shades of green. But for Shredder and the Foot Soldiers, I prefer the cartoon look.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 am

Handsome wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:41 am
Well my dream TMNT line would be a mix. I prefer the toy look for the Turtles, which is the most important to me, so that's the main reason why I went with Super7 over NECA. I love having them in different shades of green. But for Shredder and the Foot Soldiers, I prefer the cartoon look.
I prefer the toon look for all the human characters. So I'm kind of building a hybrid collection: NECA Humans and either/both lines for the mutants (depending on the preferred look).
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 pm

Fwooshcast with Brian Flynn is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEXs1xWVZs

As mentioned a page back, the purpose of the interview is mostly to talk about SilverHawks, but Veebs also asked about the shipping calendar and the big update for Wave 3 of TMNT is that part of the shipment has already arrived in port. If you ordered your figures direct from Super7 then July seems like almost a certainty at this point. BBTS usually lags about a month behind. Wave 4 is still on-track.
Handsome
CROM!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm

I'm not in a rush. I don't plan on displaying these until I have at least all four Turtles. So for the moment, they can sit in my BBTS Pile of Loot. I still need to figure out a shelf for these too. Thinking of selling off half of my Marvel Legends to make room.
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Am I the only one frustrated at Flynn's discussion about articulation? Ab crunch useless? .... I'm sorry man but I don't think so.

Otherwise, great interview!
Handsome
CROM!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 pm

I'm fine with the Turtles having limited articulation, because for the most part, I'm planning on posing them similar to their original toys. So I don't need anything too crazy.

But I understand why people want better articulation. There is a middle ground between something super articulated like Amazing Yamaguchi figures and what Super7 is doing. I think a lot of the Hasbro figures like Marvel Legends or the GI Joe Classified figures have a great middle ground where you get good articulation but still have a good sculpt that isn't too cut up if you want them in vanilla poses.
thefamousnicknaro
CROM!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:39 pm

Turtles with an ab crunch would be weird and not make a lot of sense, but every other character? Should be standard.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm

I will never see eye-to-eye with Brian when it comes to elbows and knees. You can do double-joints there and still make it look good, saying otherwise is lazy. I am, however, with him on standard ab crunches. I think what Hasbro does with the Lightning Collection and most Legends looks ugly with little payoff. Ball-hinges at the diaphragm are the way to go though and I really wish they had given Bebop such a joint. Those add a wide range of motion with minimal impact on the sculpt.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:50 pm

Honestly, I don't think I agree with -most- of Brian's toy-related opinions.
Handsome
CROM!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am

Yeah, I mean I'm spending a lot of money on Ultimates because they have most of my favorite licenses. But watching that interview, he says in that interview that he doesn't want you to buy an inferior version of a character for $55 and then have them release the version you actually want later and you have to buy a second version. Ok, that's nice... BUT he also says he knows that more people associate Silverhawks with the toys rather than the cartoon. Ok, so why not give people the toy versions that they prefer? I'm not invested in Silverhawks so I don't care, but I get why Silverhawks fans are upset.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:14 am

Handsome wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am
Yeah, I mean I'm spending a lot of money on Ultimates because they have most of my favorite licenses. But watching that interview, he says in that interview that he doesn't want you to buy an inferior version of a character for $55 and then have them release the version you actually want later and you have to buy a second version. Ok, that's nice... BUT he also says he knows that more people associate Silverhawks with the toys rather than the cartoon. Ok, so why not give people the toy versions that they prefer? I'm not invested in Silverhawks so I don't care, but I get why Silverhawks fans are upset.
I think he explained it pretty well that it’s because they can’t. You can’t do vac metal on an articulated toy, so they’re going with a toon aesthetic instead. And most of the feedback I’ve see in the thread and on Twitter would indicate most are understanding and just happy to have new SilverHawks toys.

Important to remember with Brian that he started Super7 largely because he loved collecting non-articulated vinyl toys out of Japan. I’m not at all surprised he’s not big on articulation.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:19 am

Also in relation to Silverhawks. Even though they aren't doing Vac Metal because it's crazy expensive and environmentally awful, Brian did say they are exploring options for ways to make the Silverhawks really shiny, including paint that's on cars that is shiny and changes in the light.

They very well could end up just like the pics we've seen while the pre orders are up. But it's possible they end up having some sort of shiny paint on them by the time they are released.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 am

If I remember the original toys, they chipped paint like crazy. The flesh paint over the metal scraped off easily, the vac metal also lost its finish. I understand why vac metal is off the table, but metallic paint shouldn’t be. If Marvel Legends can pull off what they just did with the Ursa Major Iron Man wave, S7 should be able to do the same.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”