Playmates: TMNT Original Vintage Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Playmates: TMNT Original Vintage Series

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Let's try this again, since everything from the Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago is now gone, lol...

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Original Playmates Line

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Also, not sure where to put this, since the 2012 Nick thread is gone, and I'm not sure it's worth recreating it just to show this lol

(Not pictured, the Mondo 1/6 scale 2-pack)

A friend who didn't know they came in a 7-pack freaked out at seeing that, haha. Granted, it was still quite a few of that pack, but it wasn't as crazy or expensive to try & amass that many.
VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 pm

I'm too young to have grown up with the original Playmates TMNT run but I've always loved the aesthetic of it. It's the only pre-2000s toyline I currently collect with some consistency. The sculpts just have so much personality and the accompanying vehicles are just incredibly fun.

I managed to stumble upon a Technodrome for $75 last December. The Technodrome was a holy grail for me and I couldn't believe I found it for such a low price. Was in decent condition too. Some yellowing, quite a few missing parts, but most of the important stuff was there. That same shop also had a complete Foot Cruiser for $50, which I also bought. That was a good day to collect retro TMNT.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm

My last roommates were clearing out their basement, and I scored a wholly incomplete, but otherwise great condition Technodrome for free! I definitely need to track down some replacement stickers & the missing weapons one of these days.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:49 am

Before the boards went kablooey, someone here was gonna let me know about a stand that would work with these figures, and I need that info, please. Casey Jones will NOT stand up, and the poster tack isn't holding.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:04 am

TENIME_art wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:49 am
Before the boards went kablooey, someone here was gonna let me know about a stand that would work with these figures, and I need that info, please. Casey Jones will NOT stand up, and the poster tack isn't holding.
Whoops, that was me.

As I said, I only have two vintage figures in my collection right now - so I grabbed Sewer Samurai Leo. I'm assuming the peg-holes are relatively standard across the line.

The Marauder IDS Stands do work. They have two pegs on them. One is a slimmer peg for modern 4" figures, and one is a chunkier peg intended for vintage ARAH Joes. It's a little bit of a tight fit, but the 'vintage peg' does fit into Leo's foot. I've got him in a 'running' pose on one foot right on my desk right now, using the stand.

So I checked something else out using that info and yep... a vintage G.I. Joe stand also fits fairly well (but they are small stands, so their utility may be limited depending on where the hole in the figure's foot is and how the weight is distributed to begin with). That also -probably- means that the vintage Joe repro stands sold by SmallJoes will fit, since they're made to be basically exact replicas of those Joe stands.

The peg size on those is .134 in diameter. If those are exactly the same as the Joe stands, if gives you some frame of reference for what you're looking for. Also, SmallJoes sells larger (wider) stands intended for 6" figures that they claim have 4 pegs ranging from .127 to .143. So if there's a peg or two on there between those two sizes, then those stands -may- also work.

Hope that helps.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:17 am

LOVE the original Playmates line. When it came out I was 6 or 7, and had no idea what to think of it. I heard the name, and even as a kid thought, "this sounds ridiculous". But then someone gave me 2 figures as a gift, and I loved them.

Before that my favorite line in the world was Masters of the Universe. And since it had come to an end, this line filled the void. To this day, I feel MOTU and TMNT are equal in my heart as my favorites. Both the franchises and the vintage toy lines.

I have practically all of the vintage Playmates figures, which I bought new and carded over the years (then ripped em' open baby!), starting when I was about 18. It is just one of the most vibrant, colorful, and fun lines ever produced, and I love to just look at them.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks, KD, no worries!
chris350
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:43 am

Love that mouser army. I was always tempted to pick up those 2012 ones, but I couldn't justify it since I had about 20 of the NECA ones stuck in storage. Luckily, I have them out now! I love the Mondo ones too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks! [email protected], 20 NECA ones!? How many Aprils did you get!? Lol

I do have the Mondo ones, but had already laid out these for my own inventory count (got a cool new app with QR code labels), and there wasn't room except in front of them, but they're on display behind Shredder on my NECA toon shelf!
chris350
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:44 am

Toon shelf is the perfect place for the Mondo Mousers. I got them as a gift and didn't know where to put them until the toon line came out.

I was big on trying to army build the NECA Mousers when they came out. Didn't have a ton, but always asked for them in the trade thread. I don't remember who it was, but a UK Fwoosher said that his LCS had a ton of the 3 packs and a few April packs for like 3 bucks a piece and offered to buy them and ship them to me loose. Getting a box full of Mousers was just the best. I still have most of them minus the Aprils. That Fwoosher is still one of my favorite humans.

chris350
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 am

But back on topic, the OG Line is the best. I still have all my old figures and they are enjoying a second life as toys with my daughters.ImageImage

Timmetry
Super Poseable

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33 am

I wish I had picked up at least one extra April when I had the chance. I never found one on sale/clearance.
Calbretto
Have extra testicles, will travel

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:45 am

I wish I had taken better care of my TMNT collection from when I was a kid. I still have the vehicles and playsets: Sewer layer, Technodrome, Party Wagon, the Drill vehicle (Mutant Module?) and the Foot Cruiser. But a lot of the figures I sold off at yard sales or lost track of. I had a huge collection, with most of the unique characters and quite a few of the Turtle variants. I'm bummed out thinking about it now.
Timmetry
Super Poseable

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Man, I had nearly every single figure minus many of the vehicles. And I held on to them until high school when I decided it would be a good idea to put them in a yard sale.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”